WB Issue - Grey turns Blue

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

One of the reasons I use the 5D4 is that I get good colours (people and objects) straight of the camera, which work for my needs without editing in SW. When I first got the 5D4, I found the AWB setting made blacks turn blue and I wasn't happy unless I went fully manual for every setting. However, this was with a Sigma lens, which I returned. Since then I have only used native lenses and have been enjoying the 5D4 immensely. It's been good for business and personal use. As a computer-phobe, I try to frame and expose shots as well as I can, in order to obviate processing. I typically use auto ISO (with EC) and AWB. So far, so good.

So...today, I tried to shoot a dark grey product for work, by a window with diffused light. Was working at a variety of F stops, and keeping ISO below 3200. My grey object had a blue tinge. The shot in the viewfinder had a very different colour to the actual object. Eventually, I went to manual WB and got it to look decent. Although I got there in the end, my confidence in the 5D4 has been slightly dented. I remember when I photographed a black cat (Sigma) when I first got the 5D4 2 yrs ago, the cat went blue. I almost sent it back and went back to Nikon.

My questions are: is dark grey a particularly challenging colour for AWB mode to nail? (Since the cat episode, going to native-only, I've shot dark black daily and been very happy with the 5D4's AWB). Has anyone else had a similar issue with the 5D4?

TIA

Last edited:
NB - One thing I've loved about the 5D4 is the way the AWB doesn't get freaked out by fluorescent lighting. Some of my best work has come from it - which I could never have imagined before. My old Nikon was totally spooked by fluorescent and would need extensive work in post.

I always imagined that white balance was pegged to - let's guess - white. In which case if there was no white in the scene, then the reference was lacking. Is that wrong?

Nothing to do with camera and everything with colour of the light through the window Vs indoors. You should use studio lights and preset wb if you want sooc consistency.

P.s. if there is no real blue in the shot just desaturate it in post.

While using LV mode, I tweaked WB manually until the screen reflected the scene. There is some white in the scene, albeit in background.

Thanks

NB - I have a set of Elinchrom for serious work. However, most of my work is quick snaps that need turning around quickly, I.e. emails to clients / instagram etc. The only times I've had any issues with the 5d4 have been WRT black / grey items turning blue - and this has happened outdoors (I.e. black cat turning blue). I bought a WB lanyard after the previous episode.

Edit -if I'd used the lanyard yesterday I doubt I'd have this problem. Doh!

Last edited:
I have a 5D4 and use AWB most of the time and only take Raw. I do use flash WB when in a studio. If I am concerned about colour precision, I will take a shot of my Colour Checker Passport and use this to set the WB in LR for all the images taken in that light. Also I use a bespoke calibration profile for my camera which does ensure more accurate colours anyway. I have not noticed any particular issues with WB since I bought my 5D4 almost 3 years ago. While I mainly use Canon L lenses, I do have a Sigma 12-24mm and the black look black for that lens as well.

Dave

Back