WBMT.....What baffled me today

Half of them will be down here. :(

Should have a sweepstake on how many get turned over coming down Haldon and Telegraph hills.

Half of them will be down here.
Enjoy (y)
TBH if they are going all that way, why the hell start of at circa 9 am and get caught up in all the holiday traffic.

Enjoy (y)
TBH if they are going all that way, why the hell start of at circa 9 am and get caught up in all the holiday traffic.
Because some people like my wife and her mother are clueless when it comes to holiday traffic. The other weekend my mother in law wanted to go to her static caravan by the coast, to empty it out of all personal effects ready for sale, the weather reports had been saying all week that it would be hot and sunny and she wanted to leave home at 10am. My son who had the job of hiring and driving a van to move all the stuff wanted to get the van at 8am and we could be at the caravan by 9am at the latest, but my wife with no concept of getting ready in time meant we never got to my son's by 8:30 and the mother in law still wasn't ready so instead of picking the van up on the way, I had to take my son to the hire place, then we had to go back to the mother in laws, pick up her and my wife and then head off to the caravan only to get stuck in the coast bound traffic.

Half of them will be down here. :(
Just so long as they stay on the A38/A380 I'm happy enough. It's them that think it's clever to cut off on the back lanes that cause the real headaches!

On the final approach to the caravan site, almost invariably down a narrow lane, often with departures trying to get out, with neither being too competent at reversing...

I recently bought something in liquid form, from the bay of evils.
I noted the it was 30ml or 60ml or 90ml.
I also noted that the 30ml was out of stock.
That in itself was not a problem as I wanted 60ml anyway.
WBMT?
I ordered 60ml and guess what? ( and you are in front of me here aren't you? )
Yep it turned up in 2 x 30ml containers :D

Wasn't sure whether to post in here or the WAMT thread. Driving bon the M4 in South Wales this morning and there were dotmatrix signs saying "DON'T THROW LITTER"! Seriously, who needs to be told not to throw litter out of a moving car at 70mph??

Wasn't sure whether to post in here or the WAMT thread. Driving bon the M4 in South Wales this morning and there were dotmatrix signs saying "DON'T THROW LITTER"! Seriously, who needs to be told not to throw litter out of a moving car at 70mph??

Also, 'trivial' signs like that could either distract or make people ignore more important signs.

Plenty of folk actually do that !! That's why the sides of the Motorways are frequently such a mess - and then they have to be cleared up - which means some poor wee man with a large bag and a gadget has to pick the discarded rubbish up and then chuck the full bags in a van/lorry.

Humans need to learn to take their rubbish home with them

Plenty of folk actually do that !! That's why the sides of the Motorways are frequently such a mess - and then they have to be cleared up - which means some poor wee man with a large bag and a gadget has to pick the discarded rubbish up and then chuck the full bags in a van/lorry.

Humans need to learn to take their rubbish home with them

Yeah, but who is going to wind down the window, go to through something out and then not do it as they see the sign. Pointless. Either you will throw rubbish or you won't!

Yeah, but who is going to wind down the window, go to through something out and then not do it as they see the sign. Pointless. Either you will throw rubbish or you won't!
You're probably right. After all, speed limit signs don't stop lead-footers.

You're probably right. After all, speed limit signs don't stop lead-footers.
...but every so often someone with a blue flashing light pulls then over. The same is true of litterers. Someone in front of me on the M1 near the M69 interchange threw something out his window and a few seconds later a marked police car passed me and pulled the guy over. Obviously I have no idea what happened then but I doubt the driver left with a certificate for good driving. :naughty:

What are they teaching learners these days?
I followed one for about 3 miles straight road, but plenty of roundabouts.
40mph in a 60 mph and then 50 in a 40.
Straight lined a couple of roundabouts.
accelerated onto a couple of roundabouts ( the other junctions were clear) half way across, hits the middle peddle with a vengeance!
And not once did he / she indicate (And no it wasn't a BMW :D )

Sadly this type of ( hel)L driving is not uncommon around here :(

Last edited:
Was it the instructor on his/her own? Possibly has a BMW or AUDI as their personal car!

Was it the instructor on his/her own? Possibly has a BMW or AUDI as their personal car!
Nope definitely an 'LL of driver!

Besides everyone ( local) knows that you don't hit the brakes half way into a roundabout!
Its s*** or bust once you pull out :D

Besides everyone ( local) knows that you don't hit the brakes half way into a roundabout!

Especially in Milton Keynes area :eek:

What are they teaching learners these days?
I followed one for about 3 miles straight road, but plenty of roundabouts.
accelerated onto a couple of roundabouts ( the other junctions were clear) half way across, hits the middle peddle with a vengeance!

Sadly this type of ( hel)L driving is not uncommon around here :(

Perhaps someone has seen a gap I'm the market and they are now training people to be BMW or Audi drivers.

Nope definitely an 'LL of driver!

In Wales the other day, was behind a van at a roundabout. He pulled out onto the roundabout ....... and parked! :oops: :$

I see that a lot of the time in people who have supposedly passed their tests. I've also had a driving instructor who would make you go on to the main roads by the 2nd or 3rd 1 hour lesson whether you were ready or not!

In Wales the other day, was behind a van at a roundabout. He pulled out onto the roundabout ....... and parked! :oops: :$
That's self explanatory :D
Nonetheless, you win (y)
:D

I see that a lot of the time in people who have supposedly passed their tests.
Well yeah that's slightly different, I mean FFS at least teach correctly we all know half of it goes to s*** after they pass ;)

I've also had a driving instructor who would make you go on to the main roads by the 2nd or 3rd 1 hour lesson whether you were ready or not!
That's called a baptism of fire :D

We're plagued with learners with dozens of them all throughout the day, I think we're on the test route.

The most annoying thing they do is park across our drive and have a chat. Surely the instructor should have the sense to tell the pupil not to park across drives when there's just no need? Then when I reverse my car down the drive to within inches of their car, and I've done this, I'm apparently invisible until I sound the horn. Only then do they reluctantly move off. It's the same trying to get into the drive too. Yesterday when we came home there was a learner parked across the drive. Stopping in the road positioned to pull into our drive with the indicator on wasn't enough, flashing the headlights wasn't enough and they only moved when I wound down the window, stuck my arm out and waved for them to move. I know why they park across the drive, it's because next door always have a car parked on the road and the learners reverse park around it and end up blocking our drive. They should of course pull forward or reverse a bit more but they don't.

Maybe Bob Newhart is a big influencer in driving instructor circles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5TTA4f7Q3E

People who stop short of the give way line at a junction. I had one stop so far away from the line, there must have been an invisible car in front of them, there was certainly room for another car. Luckily I was turning left and they .wanted to go right. There was room for me to get past them and make my turn. They were still sat there dithering, probably wondering why they didn't have a clear view of the road to the left or right.

People who believe they have right of way when joining a main road from a slipway, expecting vehicles on the main road to either brake or move over on a dual carriageway to allow them out. They are obviously blind to the broken white line they have to cross (meaning they have to give way).

People who believe they have right of way when joining a main road from a slipway, expecting vehicles on the main road to either brake or move over on a dual carriageway to allow them out. They are obviously blind to the broken white line they have to cross (meaning they have to give way).
Yes I find this annoying as well
The traffic joining is supposed to match the speed of the traffic already on the carriageway and slip in in front of or behind

Yes I find it annoying when the outer lanes are empty and traffic on inner lane will not pull over to allow you to join forcing you to virtually stop on the slip road and then try to join from a standing start.

Yes I find it annoying when the outer lanes are empty and traffic on inner lane will not pull over to allow you to join forcing you to virtually stop on the slip road and then try to join from a standing start.
I believe the broken white lines mean you are obliged to stop if the road is not clear. Traffic on the main road is under no obligation to alter their speed or change direction to allow cars on the sliproad out.

Highway code:

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

Last edited:
We're plagued with learners with dozens of them all throughout the day, I think we're on the test route.
You may be on one of the test routes that instructors use to familiarise their students with,
as I understand it, if you complain about the amount of 'L drivers they will change the route., for awhile at least.

Couldn't agree more, and to the point of them actually forcing their way out on to the carriageway. When there is no space or there is nowhere for the cars to go as they themselves are being overtaken.

I believe the broken white lines mean you are obliged to stop if the road is not clear.
Unless its changed they are give way signs.
And I was always taught that you must be able to make a maneuver without making another vehicle change speed or change direction.

And you just confirmed it with an edit (y)

Last edited:
I believe the broken white lines mean you are obliged to stop if the road is not clear. Traffic on the main road is under no obligation to alter their speed or change direction to allow cars on the sliproad out.

Highway code:

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

Yes I know the letter of the law, but it is just common curtesy to pull over into the outer lanes if safe to do so to allow traffic to join, but I suppose that's the problem common curtesy no longer exists to many in this country.

Yes I know the letter of the law, but it is just common curtesy to pull over into the outer lanes if safe to do so to allow traffic to join, but I suppose that's the problem common curtesy no longer exists to many in this country.
It is also common courtesy (& the Law) not to force other road users to take evasive action but that doesn't stop those who sail straight out ...........

broc try rereading my original post. I'll highlight the relevant part.

People who stop short of the give way line at a junction. I had one stop so far away from the line, there must have been an invisible car in front of them, there was certainly room for another car. Luckily I was turning left and they .wanted to go right. There was room for me to get past them and make my turn. They were still sat there dithering, probably wondering why they didn't have a clear view of the road to the left or right.
This is because they can just see the white line over the edge of the bonnet. The person who taught them to drive did not bother teaching them about parallax (or did not know themselves)

broc try rereading my original post. I'll highlight the relevant part.
I understand what you are saying, however there are times when the car driver on the sliproad thinks the road is clear but cannot see the fast moving car rapidly approaching in the outside lane, or those occasions where two junctions are close together & the driver on the main road is about to leave at the next sliproad off....... both situations that I have personally experienced.

The Law does not take into account common courtesy ....... & drivers should not expect it. When using a sliproad you are expected to adjust your speed to allow you to slot into the traffic on the main road. Sometimes that means 'giving way' at the broken white lines.

I always look to see if there are cars on slip roads likely to do this and if I can I will get into the outside lane early. But I can almost guarantee that if I have been unable to move to the outside lane, some knob will pull out in front of me, travelling at 20mph or more slower than me.

I'd much rather they stopped a yard or 2 short of the line than a similar distance over it.

It is also common courtesy (& the Law) not to force other road users to take evasive action but that doesn't stop those who sail straight out ...........
Agreed.

There are many people who have noticed that the Highway Code is advisory and have formed the opinion that it can therefor be ignored. According to the traffic officer in my family the technical term for them is “an accident waiting to happen”.

People who stop short of the give way line at a junction.
That's to allow for the twatts that are turning right into that road and think its OK to drive on the wrong side of the road as they cut across!
And then give you a filthy look because you are positioned correctly :rolleyes:

Slowing or changing lanes to allow entry into the motorway was never a courtesy.

I'd much rather they stopped a yard or 2 short of the line than a similar distance over it.
A yard or 2 would have been better, but twice that and not edging closer to the line so they can see further up the road is just daft and dangerous.

And then give you a filthy look because you are positioned correctly :rolleyes:
Which reminds me of today's example of exhibition style driving.

We're on a bus driving along an 'A' road and very nearly at the cross roads which is at the top of a hill. A car is facing in the opposite direction to the bus and correctly positioned in the right turn lane ahead. Behind us can be heard the sound of a siren. Having the right of way the bus driver accelerates to clear the junction so providing clear passage for the emergency vehicle. Text book driving, yes? At which point the car in the filter lane moves out of the filter lane across the path of the bus which has to swerve around him and nearly runs out of road and into a stand of trees. Somehow the bus avoids both the car and the trees while the emergency vehicle (which turns out to be an ambulance) overtakes the bus and turns right onto the minor road.

I was seriously impressed that the bus driver didn't get out and offer words of advice to the car driver!

Back