WBMT.....What baffled me today

Not for the blackbird that picked it up after it went outside ;)

Just wet wet wet here, no frosts for at least a couple of weeks...

Do I look like a bloody charity :p
In case you aren't aware I'm a pest controller, and pests just don't dare come near me, this one however was taking the right royal urine!

I can only assume that due to the wet environment I was working in, the day before, the slimy little sucker had crawled up the inside of my work clothes and fell out
when I got home.

No, I didn’t know what your occupation was and clearly, neither did Mr/Mrs Slug..:)

Last edited:
Last edited:
How people get to “own” some of these cars. A friend of my brother in law earns about half what I do but drives around in a new 7-series. Payments are probably £800pcm that I can see. Unless he’s got some amazing deal.

I know a lady that spent a significant inheritance on a 50% deposit on a £60k+ car to keep the monthly payments low. She then trades it in every 12 months to move the equity along.

( She and her partner choose to live in a mobile home, and drive the fast car...their money their choice).

How people get to “own” some of these cars. A friend of my brother in law earns about half what I do but drives around in a new 7-series. Payments are probably £800pcm that I can see. Unless he’s got some amazing deal.
Leasing via Private Contract Purchase(PCP) or Private Contract Hire (PCH) over 1-2 years means you can often get an 'expensive' car for a relatively modest up front deposit and payments with a 'balloon' payment at the end of the lease if you want to keep the car or you can just hand it back & walk away. Dealers are often offered new car sales incentives by manufacturers, this can mainfest itself as generous discounts & lower rates of finance (sometimes 0%) on new cars.

The lease rate covers the cost of depreciation of the car over the lease period & a profit for the leasing company, an expensive car which has low depreciation can have a lease rate lower than a more modest car with high depreciation costs. Servicing contracts are often bundled into the lease costs too.

Last edited:
What I glean is that some people ...have very different priorities in life to me.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a brand new car. I couldn't however justify £800pcm for a car unless I was taking home at least 6x that amount.

I know a lady that spent a significant inheritance on a 50% deposit on a £60k+ car to keep the monthly payments low. She then trades it in every 12 months to move the equity along.
Maybe that's how my BIL's friend started too.

Leasing via Private Contract Purchase(PCP) or Private Contract Hire (PCH) over 1-2 years means you can often get an 'expensive' car for a relatively modest up front deposit and payments with a 'balloon' payment at the end of the lease if you want to keep the car or you can just hand it back & walk away.
I bought my current car through PCP. I've had it 11 years so I've long paid it off. But back then, a Golf GTi was £20k. I paid £300pcm. A new one now costs closer to £40k, and for the same deposit I gave, the payments are £400-500pcm. For a Golf GTI. The balloon payment is also 50% more. Has PCP pushed the price of cars up?

( She and her partner choose to live in a mobile home, and drive the fast car...their money their choice).
Her equity is going to get smaller with each new car . A car on average loses 30% of it's value in a year. Unless she keeps topping up the deposit each year, the money will be gone in a few years.

I wasn't quite sure where this goes, Baffling may cover it though (y)

Pulled into the yard of my first call this morning, bump bump bump FFS! flat O/S front!
Got the spare (Eventually) from the under van carriage.
Swapped over no problem.

Went called into my local tyre fitters on the way home. I knew they'd tell me it was knackered ( there's a surprise ;) )
They are a good bunch down there, fast and reasonably priced, ( they beat any web price)

Unfortunately trying to get them to understand where & how the spare wheel fits was a bit of a traumatic experience.
As I said nice lads, but I don't think there is more than 3 brain cells between the 4 of them. :rolleyes:

I gave up in the end, chuck it in the van and I'll do it when I get home.

So there was I laying on my side waiting for the oil to seep in to the carriage bolt, I saw a pair of trainers heading up the drive
from under the van ...
Good afternoon sir, do you live here?
No, there is no one home, so I'm stealing the van before they get here....

Well that went Wooooooooooooosh, and into the sale patter......
apparently my double glazing has been flagged up as being over 10 years old ..
Yep doing well aren't they?

And off he went again.
Do you really think I want to talk about windows right now?
And off he went again ...

I said let me stop you right there,
I have 2 rules
1) I don't buy at the door
2) its unwise to p*** me off while I have a lump hammer in my hand..
( I didn't but went and fetched one from the garage as I *may* have needed it to free the bolt :D )

Can I leave you with a leaflet in case you change your mind?

What part of f*** off don't you understand?

Hint taken Finally (y)

Last edited:
I was making my dear wife a cup of tea this morning when I was startled by a loud bang, like a gunshot a few feet behind me!

It turns out a used 'watch' battery I had taken out of a Christmas LED decoration a week ago & left with several others on the kitchen window sill awaiting recycling had exploded, showering bits of battery everywhere. It wasn't in direct sunlight or in contact with anything else.

This is the first time I have seen or heard of this happening, but it means I will take a lot more care about what I do with them in future.

WBMT?
1) My opposite neighbours moved out a couple of weeks ago, and there has been various comings and goings by the people I assume that have bought the place.
Although there is no one there overnight, so I assume they are decorating.
But looking on right move ( as you do :D) the house looks pretty immaculate.. it looks as though the ex neighbours have spent a lot of time and money refurbishing it.

2) how do people that don't look old enough to drive afford a 400K house?

Bank of Mum and Dad?

When I was painting and decorating, we had do the same place twice in about six months - sellers had a coat or 2 slapped on to tidy the place up then the buyers wanted a different colour scheme. Same happens with kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms etc..

Why did I try and plug my Chocolate chip muffin in to the phone charger when the phone was the thing that needed charging?

8eb222fac6fd939c9d4c60538707db87.gif

At least I never took a bite out of my phone (y)

The story in this article about a car submerged by the sea at Blackpool - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-51117465

Driving on to a beach can have an unfortunate result at any time but it is beyond me why anyone would drive on to a beach when the forecast was for gale force winds, high tides and torrential rain.

At least the people and their dog were unharmed .

Dave

I have your coat ready, Tori!

:coat:

The story in this article about a car submerged by the sea at Blackpool - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-51117465

Driving on to a beach can have an unfortunate result at any time but it is beyond me why anyone would drive on to a beach when the forecast was for gale force winds, high tides and torrential rain.

At least the people and their dog were unharmed .

Dave
The same sort of people who ignore the warnings on the tidal crossing to Lindisfarne off the Northumbrian coast. Every year some one gets caught out.

The same sort of people who ignore the warnings on the tidal crossing to Lindisfarne off the Northumbrian coast. Every year some one gets caught out.
25 cars last year. They don't seem to realise that they're driving into the North Sea. RNLI should invoice them.

An amazingly large number of city people have no idea as to what a tide actually is. The Lindesfarne causeway looks very safe right up until it isn't.

Public ignorance of some of the more basic fundamentals of life can be staggering;

I can remember children at a school where I worked as IT manager being totally amazed at the fact that peas grew in long green fibrous pods..... not plastic bags

At the school where my wife worked as a science technician, in a biology lesson the kids were similarly amazed at the fact that steak & kidney pies had 'real' kidneys in them.

Public ignorance of some of the more basic fundamentals of life can be staggering;

I can remember children at a school where I worked as IT manager being totally amazed at the fact that peas grew in long green fibrous pods..... not plastic bags

At the school where my wife worked as a science technician, in a biology lesson the kids were similarly amazed at the fact that steak & kidney pies had 'real' kidneys in them.
Reminds me of the Mike Harding (comedian and folk singer) line about being an inner city kid and visiting the countryside for the first time "I'd never seen a cow before, I thought it was a bus with no windows!".

I grew up with a dairy farm over the river from my house. I remember seeing a group of visiting kids (don't remember their accent, but it wasn't local) look across the river at a cow that'd come down to drink, and say "Fukinell! Cows have got four willies!", followed by an excited debate about which one they thought it would wee out of. :rolleyes:

I grew up with a dairy farm over the river from my house. I remember seeing a group of visiting kids (don't remember their accent, but it wasn't local) look across the river at a cow that'd come down to drink, and say "Fukinell! Cows have got four willies!", followed by an excited debate about which one they thought it would wee out of. :rolleyes:
Isn't that Bullocks?

I have a cousin (must be in her 40s by now!) who still says bullocks rather than boll.... - when she was somewhat younger, she picked up on me saying boll.... but was fairly easily convinced that I'd said bullocks.

Tori, should have talked them into milking a bull - one teat and not much output...

Back