WBMT.....What baffled me today

As someone who grew up using maps ~ OS maps walking and climbing in North Wales.....road atlases when driving, I have always thought and said that using sat nav 'you need to know where you are going to use it well....'

FWIW when I had CoPilot on my old Loox PDA it was great as I could load 6 destinations and it would order them for shortest route (especially usefull for visiting my London clients at that time) The cars (Seat and Ford) that I have had since with built in sat nav are limited to one destination and one waypoint stop :(

Re. Maps and your North Wales experiences you might enjoy reading this tale. A wee secret,not to tell anyone...lol.

As a youngster..16 ..my company .ICI...sent me on an Outward Bound course to Brathay Hall in the Lake District..Ambleside, I think..wonder if it’s still there ?..I was one of, if not , the youngest of the group . There was even a German lad there,so from all over. One of the challenges was to go through the mountains for three days.. tents,weather-proof clothing, mountain boots and worst of all... dried food..Ugh. I’ve never liked camping. I hated sleeping in a tent . I like ‘me comforts’ :). Of course, we had OS maps and when my turn came to use one to lead the group I was stopped by one of the leaders..(adults) from leading the group into a large bog. I may as well as have been looking at a map of the Amazon or the Moon..lol. We had to go up Helvellyn. It was drizzly as I recall .. I know I couldn’t see the summit...and in a spirit of generosity I volunteered to look after the rucksacks at the base whilst the group went up it..”Nice try” said a leader ..”but we’ll do that..up you go lad.” lol. I reached the top..a plateau as I recall and there was a very strong wind . It was calm below so that was unexpected . I was terrified of being blown back over the edge and down and to this day, I recall crawling over the summit on my stomach until I was a decent way from the edge before I stood up. I’m sure we had a go at Scarfel Pike,too. We also did sailing and I enjoyed that.

I have to say that in all my life I was never as fit as I was after that 4 week course . At one point on that three-day hike I helped out one of the others, who was whacked out, by carrying his rucksack for a while, as well as my own. After we returned and had recovered ,the following day we had to stand in front of the group and,using a map on a the wall show where we’d been. I hadn’t a clue , which caused great amusement after a leader said that it was obvious that after three days in the mountains I hadn’t a clue where I’d been . One bit of mountain looked like another to me and unfortunately, there were no sign posts..lol. Some of the group were very good with the OS maps and gave a good account..others,like myself, not so good.

I see it’s still going. Some old photos too. Brings it all back. https://www.brathay.org.uk/about-us/our-history

I wonder how many yung'uns could actually read a map these days though?

Just turned 30 and I can read a Map, can also get from A - B using road signs and common sense.

The missus finds it less impressive and will have her phone on maps, ready to tell me when I've taken a wrong turn, or scenic route ;)

The missus finds it less impressive and will have her phone on maps, ready to tell me when I've taken a wrong turn, or scenic route ;)
Aren't they always ? :D

Aren't they always ? :D
My wife has absolutely no sense of direction. She wouldn't know if I made a wrong turn. I reckon I could drive round a roundabout multiple times and she wouldn't know. :)

Watching an item on eBay for a week that I felt was overpriced, hoping the seller would lower the starting bid price. Last night, the auction finished with no bids.
Checked the item this morning and it had been revisited. Great I thought, a lower starting price or better still a realistic buy it now price. But no, the starting bid has gone up by £10 over the previous auction. :(

Equally baffled and annoyed. I have downloaded the Freeview app onto my phone. When I open the app, a message about cookies comes up. There are two links on the page, one about cookie settings, the other about terms and conditions. Neither link allows me to accept or deny cookies and I am unable to progress past the cookies page and actually use the app. It doesn't scroll, it doesn't swipe left or right and no exit tab.

WBMT?
I dropped in to my "usual" Barbers today.
They Charge £6.50 for "clippers all over" ( no man bun for me :D )

Do you have an appointment she said, errr no, I never have had to have one.
"Well you do now" she said. "Hmmm Ok no worries, I have a choice of 2 others local".

She said "If you want to wait for 10 mins and see if the appointments turn up we'll fit you in if they don't"

"And if they do? ... no its OK, thanks anyway"
Its usually very busy down there, I wondered why it was as dead as a Dodo, I'm guessing that the appointments thing has put paid to that,
and possibly the fact that they have put the price up a fiver ( for an "all over") !!!

I've no idea what a "style or what ever" would cost, I didn't hang around long enough to find out ...
They've been there a few years now, It'll be interesting to see how much longer they are.

WBMT?
I dropped in to my "usual" Barbers today.
They Charge £6.50 for "clippers all over" ( no man bun for me :D )

Do you have an appointment she said, errr no, I never have had to have one.
"Well you do now" she said. "Hmmm Ok no worries, I have a choice of 2 others local".

She said "If you want to wait for 10 mins and see if the appointments turn up we'll fit you in if they don't"

"And if they do? ... no its OK, thanks anyway"
Its usually very busy down there, I wondered why it was as dead as a Dodo, I'm guessing that the appointments thing has put paid to that,
and possibly the fact that they have put the price up a fiver ( for an "all over") !!!

I've no idea what a "style or what ever" would cost, I didn't hang around long enough to find out ...
They've been there a few years now, It'll be interesting to see how much longer they are.

Wonder if it was done to make the place appear more important? I mean if you have to have an appointment it must be great :)

However, I'd be more worried about ,"clippers all over". Sounds a bit personal to me!
Alternatively, I bet there a few 'places', nudge, nudge, wink, wink that would charge a lot more for 'clippers all over'.

Dave

A Wahl Super Taper clipper will set you back around £50 and get your hair sorted at your convenience for a lifetime. No appointment necessary. A #1 or 2 buzz cut every 3-4 weeks and you're quids in in less than a year!

A Wahl Super Taper clipper will set you back around £50 and get your hair sorted at your convenience for a lifetime. No appointment necessary. A #1 or 2 buzz cut every 3-4 weeks and you're quids in in less than a year!

Yep, that's what I did a few years ago, haven't bothered with a barber since.

A Wahl Super Taper clipper will set you back around £50 and get your hair sorted at your convenience for a lifetime
I have a set for trimming the whiskers, but as I can't reach the back, or see what I'm doing.
Its easier to pay the local Indian guy 6 quid, every 6 weeks or so.

I'd have thought he'd be better off with an electric fish descaler.

That's the joy of a buzz cut - just go over the same area several times and you'll get pretty much all of it! Hell, if I can do it, anyone can! (Although I will admit to getting Mrs Nod to do it but only because I'm an LFF!!!)

If you're ever down this way, drop me a line and I'm sure I could talk her into it!

Probably not - she's a vegetarian.

MIGHT be open to a little bribery and corruption though...

WBMT?
More delivery woes.
Why did I bother leaving "safe place" instructions with Amazon
Only to find the package behind a small hedge when thats NOT where I said to leave it.
The primary option really was "Safe" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Heard a few fireworks going off last night. Not overly loud but last would have gone off around 10. I was watching a film last night until 2 am and the fireworks had started off again just before then. They were still going at 3 am.

I was on the Autumnwatch website yesterday. They have free posters and booklets you can apply for via this page -

https://www.open.ac.uk/request/publ...tps://www.open.edu/openlearn/autumnwatch-2019

In the date of birth section, if you click on the arrows in Day box, the first number that appears is "1". It is the same for the Month box. Seems logical as someone could easily be born on 1st of January.

If you click on the arrows in the Year box the first year you are offered is 1582!

Do they think someone who was born in 1582 might want one of their publications? Or is because that was the year the Gregorian calendar was introduced?

Dave

Last edited:
This practice baffles both myself and especially my wife who will come home and go on...and on..lol.. about how she‘d parked in a large, almost empty car park or at least one with lots of empty spaces, to find someone had parked next to her car. It does seem strange. Does the answer lie in psychology ?

Heard a few fireworks going off last night. Not overly loud but last would have gone off around 10. I was watching a film last night until 2 am and the fireworks had started off again just before then. They were still going at 3 am.

Neil. If I was posting this I’d have it in WAMT. I’m sure some of what we heard over the weekend and no doubt will hear again tomorrow evening, are the very loud,thunderous, Chinese bangers. How utterly selfish and inconsiderate to be letting them off in the early hours. Illegal of course but impossible for action to be taken by police unless there’s an ongoing issue at an easily identifiable location.

There’s a solid case for silent fireworks. Not just re animals and wildlife but families with babies or even autistic children, the elderly etc....https://dogtime.com/trending/33475-town-italy-switches-silent-fireworks-reduce-anxiety-animals

I was still able to edit this. I‘ve just had a look in WAMT and there’s a couple of posts in there including yours. I can now see why you posted it here. The answer,of course is in my opening paragraph. Selfishness and inconsideration..and I’ll add ignorance too,not of the law but just plain ignorant people.

Last edited:
Neil. If I was posting this I’d have it in WAMT. I’m sure some of what we heard over the weekend and no doubt will hear again tomorrow evening, are the very loud,thunderous, Chinese bangers. How utterly slfush and inconsiderate to be letting them off in the early hours. Illegal of course but impossible for action to be taken by police unless there’s an ongoing issue at an easily identifiable location.

There’s a solid case for silent fireworks. Not just re animals and wildlife but families with babies or even autistic children, the elderly etc....https://dogtime.com/trending/33475-town-italy-switches-silent-fireworks-reduce-anxiety-animals

The fireworks didn't annoy me, it was just an odd time to start setting them off. From amongst the complaints about it on our local Facebook page, someone did say the police helicopter was about, no idea if it was related and if it was, that they caught the culprits.

lots of empty spaces, to find someone had parked next to her car.
I've mentioned that previously, and my best guess is its a herding instinct :D

Guy in a car slows down to let me cross the road, then proceeds to drive at me, then wonders why i refuse to cross....What is the logic of still moving a car at pedestrians at crossings?

Why all of a sudden has "lose" as in my keys, job, temper etc become "loose"
Did the proper spelling just get binned, accept and affect have gone the way of the Dodo too

have gone the way of the Dodo too
I read that twice before I got it right :D

WBMT?
3 doors down, have their internal & external Xmas lights up :rolleyes:

WBMT? Motorcyclists who don't appear to have any self preservation instincts! Stopped at temporary traffic lights this morning, lights go to green and just as I'm pulling away, motorcyclist overtakes me. Problem is that the lights are on the left hand side of the road so I needed to pull out to go around them. Good thing for the motorcyclist that I'd checked my wing mirror!

WBMT?
Long story But I needed to source a new razor handle ( I haz the safety bladz )
Obviously these are much cheaper via the internet.
Many of the suppliers are now quoting the age related rule.
(You have to prove you are over 18. )

Does no one need to shave under 18 anymore ( it was about 15 for me)
But of course, this explains the hipster culture :D

WBMT (and every time it rains)

And this will make me sound really thick... but it really baffles me how much rivers swell with rain.

I perfectly understand how it happens but its just baffling that on a normal day the river that runs past work is at most 4 inches deep and the walls are 15ft tall maybe more and after less than 8 hours rain yesterday its gone to about 13ft deep. It just doesn't seem feasible when you look at it on a normal day that it could ever get that high!

Urbanisation does it, the rain no longer soaks into the ground, lands on roads, pavements etc and goes into the drainage systems and straight into the local rivers, which in a lot cases can't cope, hence chances of flooding.

WBMT (and every time it rains)

And this will make me sound really thick... but it really baffles me how much rivers swell with rain.

I perfectly understand how it happens but its just baffling that on a normal day the river that runs past work is at most 4 inches deep and the walls are 15ft tall maybe more and after less than 8 hours rain yesterday its gone to about 13ft deep. It just doesn't seem feasible when you look at it on a normal day that it could ever get that high!

Depends which direction the rain's come from. If it's been raining heavily upriver, the water might reach the town part of the river before it starts raining hard in the town.

Urbanisation does it, the rain no longer soaks into the ground, lands on roads, pavements etc and goes into the drainage systems and straight into the local rivers, which in a lot cases can't cope, hence chances of flooding.
Depends which direction the rain's come from. If it's been raining heavily upriver, the water might reach the town part of the river before it starts raining hard in the town.

Like I said, I perfectly understand how it happens but just looking at it when it's at its normal height I just can't get my head around it.

The daily wail getting its knickers in a twist over a labour mp/candidate claiming a wreath on expenses....when I used to run a local youth unit I would claim for the wreath for the town parade from unit funds, as not something i would have bought unless in that position.

Yes I may have donated for and worn a poppy personally, but not a wreath...

Electric companies !!!

Sent them a meter reading in August and they told me I needed to make a one off payment of £11.50
or increase my DD otherwise I would be under paying, and yes I was still in credit
Sent a reading at the beginning of the week and just got another statement, seems I am now £71 in credit
:thinking:
At least they haven't told me they are paying it back, as we are now into the expensive period and they have done that
before, luckily I was able to stop them.
What is it with them, I never used to have this problem they seemed to realise that the bills changed with the seasons

Sent them a meter reading in August and they told me I needed to make a one off payment of £11.50
or increase my DD otherwise I would be under paying, and yes I was still in credit
I thought that was the point in monthly payments, they work out what you will use and divide that by 12.
Looking at my account, sometimes I'm in "arrears" sometimes I'm in credit.
Only one company ever asked me for a payment balance.
I never paid it, and by the end of the year, when I switched They paid me back about £150 !
There is never a two finger emote when you need one :D

Back