WBMT.....What baffled me today

Ah!!! this is one main reason I lament the low numbers of traffic patrol cars and so few bobbies on the beat................there is oh so much reliance of ANPR to catch specific legal infractions and not the misaligned/missing lamps etc (NB I wonder if there are any statistics about the Police stopping such non ANPR detected motoring offences?)
Except I followed a traffic cop car to work yesterday morning - in turn we were both following a sizable truck which had no working lights at all on the nearside (no brake, no tail & no indicator). We followed it for a solid 15 miles often as it travelled on the wrong side of the road, mounted the verge, squeezed oncoming traffic into the opposite verge by virtue of its size. Stopped? Nah, it was frosty so it simply didn't happen.

Not as bad as the local livery/hacking stable that was using the local FOOTpaths rather than the (quiet) roads or BRIDLEpaths.

Except I followed a traffic cop car to work yesterday morning - in turn we were both following a sizable truck which had no working lights at all on the nearside (no brake, no tail & no indicator). We followed it for a solid 15 miles often as it travelled on the wrong side of the road, mounted the verge, squeezed oncoming traffic into the opposite verge by virtue of its size. Stopped? Nah, it was frosty so it simply didn't happen.

Hmmm!!! Now that reads like a dereliction of duty :(

Just incase some have missed the story... at around 4am two RAF jets were scrambled to intercept an unresponsive aircraft in UK airspace and were cleared to go supersonic. The resultant sonic boom was heard over a wide area and woke people in London. Apparently it all turned out well and they didn't have to shoot anyone down but surely anyone with a functioning brain can see the necessity to scramble the jets and get them up and there and ready to deal with anything coming our way in a situation like this?

Apparently not. There are some amazing posts on social media that are nothing short of baffling and I suppose shocking. People complaining about the RAF going supersonic over London and threatening to sue etc... blaming Boris and just about any conspiracy theory barminess you couldn't possibly dream up.

Really? Really? Really honestly truly?

What are these numb heads smoking? Are these really functioning adults complaining and seeing Tory conspiracy theories in this?

I'd like to say unbelievable but sadly in reality it's all too believable.

Just incase some have missed the story... at around 4am two RAF jets were scrambled to intercept an unresponsive aircraft in UK airspace and were cleared to go supersonic. The resultant sonic boom was heard over a wide area and woke people in London. Apparently it all turned out well and they didn't have to shoot anyone down but surely anyone with a functioning brain can see the necessity to scramble the jets and get them up and there and ready to deal with anything coming our way in a situation like this?

Apparently not. There are some amazing posts on social media that are nothing short of baffling and I suppose shocking. People complaining about the RAF going supersonic over London and threatening to sue etc... blaming Boris and just about any conspiracy theory barminess you couldn't possibly dream up.

What are these numb heads smoking? Are these really functioning adults complaining and seeing Tory conspiracy theories in this?

And no doubt they are the same people that would be equally vocal if the RAF response had been less speedy (to avoid the 'boom') and if the worst had happened as a result!

And no doubt they are the same people that would be equally vocal...
There are only three types of people in the world: those who can count up to two and those who can't. :naughty:

It all makes me wonder about the comprehensive capabilities of people amongst us. Some people just seem to be on an entirely different level of awareness.

Same sort of people who will move near an airport, motor racing circuit, or busy road and then complain about the noise.

Same sort of people who will move near an airport, motor racing circuit, or busy road and then complain about the noise.

Not forgetting..........those that move to a lovely village and then complain about the church bells ringing..........or the 'country smells' from the livestock farm just down the road..........etc

When I was Chair of Governors for a local Secondary school the school had neighbours that moved into the area long after the school was built & then complained about the kids making a noise at lunch time & break time..... did they not notice there was a school next to them when they bought their house?

The same neighbours also complained about the trees along the school perimeter fencing blocking their light, so we had the trees cut back & then they complained they could see the school building.......

The same neighbours also complained about the trees along the school perimeter fencing blocking their light, so we had the trees cut back & then they complained they could see the school building.......
Some people just don't get that villages are places where people live and (even today) work. Here's a view of Newton Poppleford in East Devon that won't appear in estate agents' windows...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB 13 _1040105.JPG

blaming Boris and just about any conspiracy theory barminess you couldn't possibly dream up.

Don't they realise it's all Corbyn's fault.

Reminded me of this...
That sign shows the other side of the argument. Our village (and we've been here for 35 years) had a pub that was well thought of until the landlord died and was replaced by someone who can only be described as a yob. He brought in amplified music and attracted customers from outside the village who certainly weren't upstanding members of the community. That landlord moved on and was replaced by an even less salubrious bloke. Eventually the police and the council decided that enough was too much and hoiked the licence. This happened ten years ago and no one I've spoken to misses the place.

Last edited:
Don't they realise it's all Corbyn's fault.
I didn't read and comments about him but there were some blaming Boris as part of a plot to divert attention away from the bridge attack. I kid you not. At the time I looked I didn't read anyone blaming Trump or linking it to the imminent NHS sell off but these things are probably there and being liked now.

Shopping trip into Salisbury last weekend with the good lady wife. I witnessed, on many occations, adults wearing festive Christmas jumpers.

I see nothing in the parties forthcoming election manofesto's to provide support for these poor people who obviously need help. I did google when I got home but there does not seem to be any self-help support groups out there.

Please remember, Christmas is not a happy time for all, some are forced into wearing these garments!

Why is life so difficult when you change mobile service providers
Taken 4 days to get my old number back and everyone I spoke me told me a different story
Check the account and my data was only 250mbs WTF they promised 5gb extra free
Oh well umpteen calls later it's finally sorted, have my number back and the extra data
Just hope the braodband change over is easier

After all that I get a phone call from offering to change me to a new plan for the same price that includes 3gb of data instead of the 250mb as well as the 5gb , so 8gb in total but it means going through the whole thing again with a new sim, umm no thanks CBA with all that hassle and I won't use it anyway.
Manager takes over the call and says they will do it without issuing new sim, so even though I don't need it, might as well say yes, especially as I am changing ISP later this month and who knows how long that might take :rolleyes:
Another odd thing is, I normally leave my mobile sitting on standby overnight and it seems to drain the battery, often have to put it on charge in the morning and it's not that old, this morning it hadn't done that :thinking:
Seems weird to me nut will see how it goes

WBMT? ( and other "laundry days" )
1) How come hoodies and the like, turn themselves inside out?
2) How the hell does a duvet cover become a black hole in the washing machine, and suck in smaller ( and not so small ) items?

2) How the hell does a duvet cover become a black hole in the washing machine, and suck in smaller ( and not so small ) items?

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's protecting socks (and other items) from being devoured by the machine.

1) Were they all the right way out to start with? ;)

2) If you do the duvet cover up it doesn't eat anything else .... and is easier to fold up. :kiss:

1) Were they all the right way out to start with? ;)
Of course they are / were. How dare you!
:LOL:

If you do the duvet cover up it doesn't eat anything else ....
Wanna bet ? :D
I gave up with that idea after it kept undoing enough buttons to swallow a couple of pillow cases or a fitted sheet.
The damned machine is, I swear, haunted :D

Of course they are / were. How dare you!
:LOL:

Wanna bet ? :D
I gave up with that idea after it kept undoing enough buttons to swallow a couple of pillow cases or a fitted sheet.
The damned machine is, I swear, haunted :D

I take it you chuck it all in together in a grey wash then? :LOL:

A why is only some tops that do it.

I have wondered with a duvet cover what would happen if I put loads of things in it and then put it in the washing machine.

Dave

Duvet covers make unloading really easy as everything is inside the duvet cover!

WBMT: pack of envelopes arrived. Not ordered any. No idea where they are from.

Am I the only one who washes duvet covers along with the rest of the bedding, but separate from any other laundry?

I take it you chuck it all in together in a grey wash then? :LOL:
Is there any other colour :thinking:

I have wondered with a duvet cover what would happen if I put loads of things in it and then put it in the washing machine.
I suspect that they would all separate at the end of the wash cycle and possibly hang themselves out on the line too?
:D

Am I the only one who washes duvet covers along with the rest of the bedding, but separate from any other laundry?
Same here (y)
But by the time the duvet cover, fitted sheet and pillow cases are in there, they isn't much room for anything else.
I also wash bedding ( and towels) on a very hot wash. Not least to give the machine a good clean too (y)

But by the time the duvet cover, fitted sheet and pillow cases are in there, they isn't much room for anything else.
I also wash bedding ( and towels) on a very hot wash. Not least to give the machine a good clean too (y)
Ditto. But I'm also sad enough to give the washing machine a clean out using soda crystals before I get my detailing microfibre cloths in there.

before I get my detailing microfibre cloths in there.
I'm not "sad enough" ( :p ) to have detailing cloths. A good old fashioned leather and a bucket of hot soapy water works for me (y)

I did try cleaning the previous machine with Soda Crystals ( as it was a bit smelly) but I think it was too far gone for that, as the ex insisted on washing "everything" on cool.
I'm sure water came out of the cold tap warmer :D

Ditto. But I'm also sad enough to give the washing machine a clean out using soda crystals before I get my detailing microfibre cloths in there.
I just buy new ones. :)

While we're doing the washing... Environmental measures have presumably lead to less cleaning stuff in the washing powder which means it doesn't get things as clean and spin dryers that don't spin as fast and don't get as hot. That's my feeling as things these days sometimes need two washes when one used to do it or they need a hand wash and a soak in the sink which used to be a lot rarer than now and things often need two cycles in the dryer which was unheard of years ago.

Oh, and we've got less powerful vacuum cleaners now too.

People with a complete lack of comprehension.

You have to make sure you buy the A rated for wash performance and the highest rating you can find for spin with a 1400 spin speed. There are few duff ones out there with less than A rated wash performance. They probably need dual washes. My washer was bought in the last couple of years and it seems to be fine. It does have a heavy soil and pre soak programmes as well but I've never found the normal wash cycle lacking. The quick wash isn't as good for stain removal but the normal wash seems to be fine.

Clothing fabrics have also changed to be more full of artificial fibres so do they hang onto stains more?

Clothing fabrics have also changed to be more full of artificial fibres so do they hang onto stains more?
I suspect that the idea was to "repel" stains. for faster wash.
I also suspect that it doesn't work like that.

Bacon, well not actually bacon but the ingredients.
Is it now a requirement for pigs to take a long bath before becoming bacon?
Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry for bacon I'll cook it in a microwave.
It doesn't "Crisp" obviously, but its OK between two toasted slices and lashings of brown sauce.

WBMT? once cooked there was 21 ml of liquid on the plate ( yes I really am that sad to measure it)
And that was just 2 rashers!

Back