WBMT.....What baffled me today

I've noticed that drivers seem to be increasingly using the right hand lane to go straight on at roundabouts.
What's that all about?

Or use the left hand lane to go straight on, cut to the right hand lane, and back to the left hand lane.
And sod anything that was in the right hand lane trying to turn right.

There are a couple or so, very large ones here, and they should be "Idiot proof" as the lanes are clearly marked for what what exit you need.
But no. People start off in the correct approach lane, swing out to the far right lane and then expect to cut back in when their exit approaches.
Which of course is already full of people in the correct lane.

The cyclist I saw this morning:
Working lights, helmet, hi-vis jacket...
...riding along non-handed while staring at his phone.

Why for the first time ever, my sky box didn't automatically link up to the new router :thinking:
Never had a problem before, just plugged wire and away it goes, this time no catch up TV etc
Sorted now thanks to the internet

People who seem unable to read the road even when the situation is very simple.

While driving today there was learner in front travelling slowly. The car in front of me, who was immediately behind the learner, had to keep braking continually because he was catching up with the learner. The road was narrow and had a few cars parked on the other side so there was virtually no chance of overtaking, but all the way the guy accelerated then had to brake - Why?

Got closer to home and a car at my side of the road signalled to pull out. I and another car slowed as he pulled out only to find he was doing a three point turn. No problem with that except he'd decided to do it where there was a car was parked on the opposite side of the road, so the three point turn became a five point one. If he'd moved forward a few yards before starting the turn he would have found a gap on the other side of the road and made the turn much more easily.

Dave

People who seem unable to read the road even when the situation is very simple.

While driving today there was learner in front travelling slowly. The car in front of me, who was immediately behind the learner, had to keep braking continually because he was catching up with the learner. The road was narrow and had a few cars parked on the other side so there was virtually no chance of overtaking, but all the way the guy accelerated then had to brake - Why?

Got closer to home and a car at my side of the road signalled to pull out. I and another car slowed as he pulled out only to find he was doing a three point turn. No problem with that except he'd decided to do it where there was a car was parked on the opposite side of the road, so the three point turn became a five point one. If he'd moved forward a few yards before starting the turn he would have found a gap on the other side of the road and made the turn much more easily.

Dave
They are people with the ability to drive to what is immediately in front of them and not to their surroundings. These will be the same people who will stop at an empty roundabout because they don't look to see if it is clear as they approach.

Down here, they've plated shrubs on several of the islands on the approaches to roundabouts so you have to slow to almost a complete stop before you can see if it's clear to go. The same council that puts bus stops on blind crests, bends and right next to (within the zig-zags) pedestrian crossings.

The behatted old fossil who let his car roll backwards into the front of mine at the traffic lights today while I was driving home from the local town (despite me blasting the horn at him to warn him his car was rolling backwards) who simply put his hand up by way of apology... then drove off without stopping to see if any damage had occurred!

Thankfully it wasn't much of an impact and it was captured on my dash-cam, and no damage was evident when I got home and checked - just a line in the dirt on my front number plate! Anyone can make a mistake, but to just drive off without checking afterwards!

Last edited:
I'd be making a complaint to the police about that one. Next person may not be so lucky (and it's the sort of crappy behaviour that should be noted, even of no action is taken)

Set off at 3:00pm for what should be a 50 minute drive to the O2. Expecting lots of traffic at Dartford Crossing and then queues to the O2. Instead the journey took just 40 minutes. Hardly any traffic at all.

Down here, they've plated shrubs on several of the islands on the approaches to roundabouts so you have to slow to almost a complete stop before you can see if it's clear to go. The same council that puts bus stops on blind crests, bends and right next to (within the zig-zags) pedestrian crossings.

That beggars belief re the zig-zags. I wondered if there was an exemption for buses so I Googled it and was very surprised to see there was. I can understand it for emergency services and road maintenance but not for a bus stop. So if a driver collides with a pedestrian on the crossing no action can be taken against the bus driver. I suppose the police would have look at a driving without due care and attention offence re the car driver..ie he/she should have proceeded with caution. If that was me I’d be pleading not guilty.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/further-details-contravention-code-99c

By the way..re the shrubs/trees . I spoke to a chap at Highways here in Gloucester re exactly the same issue of tree branches blocking the view of drivers both for those approaching the r/about who were unable to see any vehicles about to enter the roundabout from their left and those in that road unable to see those approaching cars from their right.I had experiences of starting to go onto the roundabout without having a view of traffic on the road to my right and he said it was the same for traffic in that road as drivers approached the roundabout so they would slow down until they got a clear view of any traffic on their left. Slow down ? No they don’t and that was my issue. The number of times I moved forward to get onto the r/about only to have to stop. I’m sure it would be better if we could all see each other in plenty of time.

LA’s have had funding from central government cut as we all know..austerity and one area being neglected is roadside maintenance . Both large and small direction signs are obscured by overgrown tree branches as are speed restriction signs, warning signs re roundabouts, the names of the city,town or village you’re entering etc etc. It’s a road safety issue. Of course, many authorities have subcontracted the work. I will call them if I see something really bad and it can take a few weeks to sort out. I was driving back from Little Bedwyn one day..I sometimes go there to photograph steam locos heading into the south west from Paddington. As I drove down the hill..Salisbury road, I think, into Marlborough a massive main road direction sign was completely obscured by a tree in the grounds of a private apartment block. They have a duty to keep the branches trimmed. Just past the apartments,down the hill, is a roundabout and that sign was giving direction to,among other places, Swindon and Hungerford, It was someone at Wilts council I spoke to after I‘d tried to get hold of the estate agent who had a ’for sake /to let sign re the apartments but they told me they weren’t the owners . I can’t recall why but they didn’t know who was..lol. Anyway, the chap,at the council ..would you believe it, was able to get to a cctv camera and see the problem..lol. It had been sorted by the time I went that way again. This example is about a tree on private property but regular road maintenance would have sorted it out with the owners or if they failed to get it done the council would do it and bill them. I’m sure the council gave the right to cut overgrown foliage without having to contact, say, a facet re his hedge/shrubs. Having said that when I mentioned to the people who run the holiday let’s we stay in near Helston, Cornwall how overgrown the hedges were, scratching passing cars, they said the farmers have to wait until the bird nesting period is over. Ie, I assume..the youngsters have fledged.

Last edited:
It baffles me everytime, but people who go to a concert and leave before the end. Tonight people started leaving a little after 10:00pm, the main act hadn't even been on an hour.
Do these people start turning into pumpkins or something?

I came down this morning to an almost complete shiny circle, in the middle of the sitting room No "to" or "exit" lines just a few other squiggly ones in or around.

Maybe a skate boarding slug that fell off? or maybe a slug on a motor bike, doing donuts with his knee down?

I've never had slugs in the house before, maybe one fell of Santa's sleigh :thinking:

Very baffling ...

Got the little b*****d, (y)

Well bugger my old boots! ( as my dad used to say)

Jesus has barely had time to have been wrapped in swaddling clothes, The 3 wise men haven't turned up yet,

And now it's Guy Fawkes turn all over again! :rolleyes:

A post on the WAMT thread that mentioned Prince Philip made me think about something on the BBC news recently.

I have no interest in the monarchy but understand the prince being in, and leaving, hospital will be a news item but why do the BBC (who I feel sure don't have shed loads of cash) feel the need to send a reporter to stand outside the King Edward VII hospital to tell us there is no news about the prince's condition? Not only that but also say it is normal for the royal family not to comment.

Do the BBC think it has more impact to have someone standing in the dark(the first coverage of this was before sunrise) outside a building telling us that, as they already know, there is nothing to tell us about the prince's condition?

I'm similarly confused by broadcasts live from outside number 10 in a completely empty Downing Street and comment like, "The PM had useful talks with xxx here in Downing Street earlier today".

Dave

(who I feel sure don't have shed loads of cash)
They have loads of cash: £4.889 billion this year. They just don't have anyone with sense at the top...

:tumbleweed:

A post on the WAMT thread that mentioned Prince Philip made me think about something on the BBC news recently.

I have no interest in the monarchy but understand the prince being in, and leaving, hospital will be a news item but why do the BBC (who I feel sure don't have shed loads of cash) feel the need to send a reporter to stand outside the King Edward VII hospital to tell us there is no news about the prince's condition? Not only that but also say it is normal for the royal family not to comment.

Do the BBC think it has more impact to have someone standing in the dark(the first coverage of this was before sunrise) outside a building telling us that, as they already know, there is nothing to tell us about the prince's condition?

I'm similarly confused by broadcasts live from outside number 10 in a completely empty Downing Street and comment like, "The PM had useful talks with xxx here in Downing Street earlier today".

Dave

That was my post,Dave, and I made the same point..pretty well. Report it yes, for those have an interest in the monarchy ,an obsession with some,infact but the time allocated to it was OTT....and,as you say, from just before 8.00am (sunrise). I channel-hopped to no avail,it was covered equally as comprehensibly on all the main channels. Fortunately, I was spared the number 10 fiasco. I didn’t see that,probably because I went to make a cuppa to get away from the other one..lol. You mentioned that the norm is for the ‘Palace’ not to comment which, as you highlighted begs the question , then why go to the expense of sending a reporting/canera crew to the hospital. I didn’t hear the spokesperson say that (ie no comments) for reasons I’ve stated .ie went for a cuppa..lol..but I hope you paraphrased that and it was actually followed by..regarding medical matters of the Royal family which, to be fair, I can understand and wouldn’t begrudge them.

Here’s an article on the Sovereign Grant and Privy Purse. https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1144967/royal-finances-where-how-does-royal-family-get-money

So, the Queen, in her Christmas message from what I hear and have read, has had a ‘bumpy’ year. It's assumed that was Brexit,Prince Andrew and Harry & Meghan’s private plane trip..re climate change/CO2 emissions. A bumpy year ? Tell that to the homeless,the hitherto prudent families up to their eyes in forced debt due to a decade of austerity. Victims of flooding, growth of food banks even for people in so-called middle-class areas.https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...anks-after-benefit-changes-report-3ch0rx9q8wh

The debacle of Universal Benefit, the struggling NHS. We now have the term..’Heat or eat’ One or the other, b9th is not an option for too many people/families. Teachers taking food into schools for children who haven’t had breakfast. A bumpy year..? Give me a break :banghead:

Got the little b*****d, (y)

Aw..how sad.:confused: I’d read your original post and was about to say that it’s been cold lately, we had frost and I expect it was seeking out some warmth and I was hoping you’d leave out a large lettuce/cabbage leaf last night but alas, not so..:LOL:

I appreciate many posts don’t get a response..it‘s usually just a fun post and it gets whatever off the chest,especially WAMT but I’d appreciate a response (s) to this incident which really does baffle me and also makes me suspicious. I’m referring to the tragic events at the Costa del Sol hotel. The family’s 9 year old daughter gets into trouble in the hotel swimming pool. In goes her 52 year old father and her 16 year old brother. Both fit people, I assume. They also come to grief. All three drown.The circulation skimmer and pump system structure became suspect but the Guardia,who carried out the inspection, said they couldn’t find any malfunction of it. A suction malfunction could be deadly to a child..ie not having the strength to overcome any suction Infact the article link here states that an experienced member of staff struggled to recover the bodies.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1144967/royal-finances-where-how-does-royal-family-get-money

The article states the child ‘got into difficulties‘ but dies not describe the nature of them Nor the nature of the struggle experienced by the member of staff during the recovery. Shouldn’t the equivalent of our thorough Health & Safety Inspectorate have been called in ? It reads as though the matter was dealt with by the police. Can you imagine the pay out of a claim for negligence ? There are too many injuries at best,at worst fatalities, involving shoddy workmanship,especially regarding electrics in the likes of hotels and privately-rented accommodation in Europe. .It’s when I read/hear of such incidents I’m relieved that here,in the UK,we have such a high bar for safety and thorough investigations when it goes wrong.

I cannot believe that two,on the face of it, strong males also suffered the same fate as the little girl. Something’s badly wrong here and I don’t believe the findings.

Last edited:
I appreciate many posts don’t get a response..it‘s usually just a fun post and it gets whatever off the chest,especially WAMT but I’d appreciate a response (s) to this incident which really does baffle me and also makes me suspicious. I’m referring to the tragic events at the Costa del Sol hotel. The family’s 9 year old daughter gets into trouble in the hotel swimming pool. In goes her 52 year old father and her 16 year old brother. Both fit people, I assume. They also come to grief. All three drown.The circulation skimmer and pump system structure became suspect but the Guardia,who carried out the inspection, said they couldn’t find any malfunction of it. A suction malfunction could be deadly to a child..ie not having the strength to overcome any suction Infact the article link here states that an experienced member of staff struggled to recover the bodies.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1144967/royal-finances-where-how-does-royal-family-get-money

The article states the child ‘got into difficulties‘ but dies not describe the nature of them Nor the nature of the struggle experienced by the member of staff during the recovery. Shouldn’t the equivalent of our thorough Health & Safety Inspectorate have been called in ? It reads as though the matter was dealt with by the police. Can you imagine the pay out of a claim for negligence ? There are too many injuries at best,at worst fatalities, involving shoddy workmanship,especially regarding electrics in the likes of hotels and privately-rented accommodation in Europe. .It’s when I read/hear of such incidents I’m relieved that here,in the UK,we have such a high bar for safety and thorough investigations when it goes wrong.

I cannot believe that two,on the face of it, strong males also suffered the same fate as the little girl. Something’s badly wrong here and I don’t believe the findings.

When I heard about this on the radio this morning I didn't didn't take onboard where it had happened.
I'd assumed the loss of three live was a result of someone getting into difficulty at sea. I was surprised when I saw it was in a pool and in what appears to be quite a small one. We'll have to wait for an explanation but it just seems very odd to me, too.

Dave

When I heard about this on the radio this morning I didn't didn't take onboard where it had happened.
I'd assumed the loss of three live was a result of someone getting into difficulty at sea. I was surprised when I saw it was in a pool and in what appears to be quite a small one. We'll have to wait for an explanation but it just seems very odd to me, too.

Dave

Yes.. a hotel swimming pool. Darn it..I see the link above is about my other post re the Royals. It should have been this one. The Royal family link must have got ‘stuck’ in copy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ish-family-die-spanish-swimming-pool-tragedy/

Didn’t think I could edit my original post to put in correct link after a further post but it’s worked .

Last edited:
I just found out today that the Indonesian Archipelago contains over 17'500 islands. I didn't think there were over 10'000 islands on the planet, let alone in 1 particular part.
Still find it baffling. Quite Remarkable.

Aw..how sad.:confused:
Not for the blackbird that picked it up after it went outside ;)

I’d read your original post and was about to say that it’s been cold lately,
Just wet wet wet here, no frosts for at least a couple of weeks...
I was hoping you’d leave out a large lettuce/cabbage leaf last night but alas, not so..:LOL:
Do I look like a bloody charity :p
In case you aren't aware I'm a pest controller, and pests just don't dare come near me, this one however was taking the right royal urine!

I can only assume that due to the wet environment I was working in, the day before, the slimy little sucker had crawled up the inside of my work clothes and fell out
when I got home.

Back