Bargain WD my Book Refurbished 4TB £64

Just received shipping confirmation. To be delivered on Tuesday.

Try returning a server hdd for swapping under warranty, send it to Swindon and on receipt they send one from Utrecht...

It's all a bit odd though, Irish company dealing with it but coming from Utrecht, well mine is - same time scale. UPS delivering.
It's pretty standard for a company like WD, Apple do the same with the operating office in Dublin and items being shipped from mainland Europe.

Hi

I'm a bit of a techno dunce and would appreciate your advice,

I was thinking of ordering one of these. My laptop does not have USB 3.0 ports; only 'standard' USB A ports.

To be clear; these are the types of USB cable that plug into my laptop:

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_i...MIn8vSoMDH1QIVT54bCh2M5A7pEAQYBSABEgKPKfD_BwE

I thought I could use the WD by getting a USB 3 to USB A cable.

However; having just seen this review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIRlpavJgE

The guy says that you cannot use the WD My Book with laptops that have USB C.

I don't really know anything about USB C; but his comment has made me worry that I cannot use the My Book with my laptops USB A ports.

Can I use the My Book with my laptop by using a USB 3.0 to USB A cable?

Thanks

Last edited:
You be fine Danny. Your laptop, most likely has usb 2.0 ports, which usb 3.0 are backwards compatible with. You will, of course, not be able to avail of the increased speeds from usb 3.0 but the drive will work.

Danny, drive will almost certainly, come with a usb lead that you can use.

Just wondered if anyone had used it with a Mac. I was looking at a new backup drive, to put both time machine and backup photos on

I was looking at this for the same purposes to connect to a new iMac. Would it be a case of just formatting it for OSX and you are good to go?

Should there be any concerns it is recertified?

Thanks.

I got mine today.

I formatted it with a macbook pro and all is fine. Just use the disk utility and erase.

The utility also allows you to partition the drive however you want.

Mine came Monday - all good, it looks like new.
This morning there's an email about 20% of a further order - tempted to get another!

I found Lightroom kept stalling before completion if I used it to copy files.
However copying folders manually then changing Lightroom's saved location afterwards worked fine.
Lots of time wasted while Lightroom moved stuff only to fail near the end.

Last edited:
Might grab some and crack the cases open for the drives. Supposed to be WD Blues inside.

Slightly annoying you can only order a max of 3. Anyone placed multiple orders okay?

If anyone wants to donate their 20% code there's an internet cookie for them :D

I've struggled to complete an extended test using WD lifeguard, pc froze after 24 hrs. Set it off again this morning and is scheduled to complete in 29 hrs time. Had not thought about cracking open and using the drives in my dock. Other than voiding the 6m warranty, is it that simple?

I found Lightroom kept stalling before completion if I used it to copy files.
However copying folders manually then changing Lightroom's saved location afterwards worked fine.
Lots of time wasted while Lightroom moved stuff only to fail near the end.

I've struggled to complete an extended test using WD lifeguard, pc froze after 24 hrs. Set it off again this morning and is scheduled to complete in 29 hrs time. Had not thought about cracking open and using the drives in my dock. Other than voiding the 6m warranty, is it that simple?

Does this mean there is a problem with these?
Have ordered one but don't want it to be a duff.

Does this mean there is a problem with these?
Have ordered one but don't want it to be a duff.

unless there are masses of people having issues I wouldn't be concerned with 1 suspect drive. if nothing else, test it and return for replacement if suspect.

Other than voiding the 6m warranty, is it that simple?
the full size mybooks normally use standard 3.5" sata drives. but yes you'll void any warranty which may be a problem if its the drive rather than the enclosure at fault.

Last edited:
Back