Bargain WD my Book Refurbished 4TB £64

Tempted to buy another, for use, on the son's ps4.

Mine has just arrived via UPS :eek:

Pack1.jpg

Pack2.jpg

Does it work? I was thinking of getting one of these but your pictures do not inspire confidence..

Does it work? I was thinking of getting one of these but your pictures do not inspire confidence..

Mine had an outer box with plenty of padding, and then an inner box with more.

Not best pleased with that delivery TBH ... packing left a lot to be desired, bit of 'air plastic' but it was fairly loose inside the box, fortunately the drive itself was inside shaped foam in its own box. Laptop has recognised it so will see if it tests okay.

Passed Smart Scan and Short Test so seems okay but obviously had a part in the UPS football tournament! :(

Mine arrived in excellent condition so you might just have been unlucky.

Just seeking a bit of advice from those that already have the unit. I have just received mine and using the utilities have done the Drive Status check and Run Quick Drive Test both of which passed but several times I've tried Run Complete Drive Test and each time it comes up after maybe 10 minutes saying Complete Drive Test Failed. Our broadband connection is very slow/intermittent so could this be effecting it. Also I'm running it on a Mac so should I have set it up for Mac use before trying the test.

I have just received mine and using the utilities have done the Drive Status check and Run Quick Drive Test both of which passed but several times I've tried Run Complete Drive Test and each time it comes up after maybe 10 minutes saying Complete Drive Test Failed. Our broadband connection is very slow/intermittent so could this be effecting it. Also I'm running it on a Mac so should I have set it up for Mac use before trying the test.

Win 10 here, I haven't done the complete test yet, just waiting for 900GB of 2nd laptop drive to transfer to it ... think it will take a few coffees! :D

Part-way through the transfer from laptop 2nd drive to the WD MyBook ... "error 0x800701E3 - Fatal device hardware error".
Giving it another try but not feeling too good about it now ... returns seem to be to Continental Europe at buyer's expense and a credit issued, shan't be best pleased if that's necessary!

Worked okay 2nd time in USB 3, doesn't seems to like my USB 2 slot ... anyone else successfully used it with USB 2?

Worked okay 2nd time in USB 3, doesn't seems to like my USB 2 slot ... anyone else successfully used it with USB 2?

I've got mine plugged into my Fritz!Box 3390 router and am using it as an NAS without any issues.

Ok; I'm a bit of a technodunce. I plugged my WD My Book into my laptop and after the (self) installing of drivers I can 'see' the drive via the 'Computer' section of my Windows 7 laptop. It shows as My Book (D:) 3.63TB free of 3.63TB.

This seems ok to me but I'm wondering what are these 'tests' that some of you folk are doing? Should I be doing any 'tests' to see if my WD is ok? If so; what and how?

I've got mine plugged into my Fritz!Box 3390 router and am using it as an NAS without any issues.

Forgive my stupidity; but I thought the My Book was just an external drive and not a NAS? I thought that a NAS had both an ethernet connection and an onboard processor? Can this drive be connected to my network? If so; how?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The BT homehub router has this option BTW, not sure what the storage capacity limit is though.

Thanks.

I have a TP Link router which doesn't have this facility.

It's something I'll bear in mind when I next change the the router.

Cheers.

got my 4tb mybook delivered a couple of days ago. Packaging was very good (in fact, i used the inner box that the drive was in to send off a box of wedding photots/usb to a client the other day!). Drive seems fine, I'm using it as a back up / mirror at the moment.

Wow these things must be popular. Out of all the options, there is only the 3Tb version available to buy.

Wow these things must be popular. Out of all the options, there is only the 3Tb version available to buy.

Yes just been looking myself, the 3TB is still a good price though, I have one and it cost me about £95, I wouldn't mind getting another but the thought of losing another TB for the sake of a tenner is putting me off, lol

Yes just been looking myself, the 3TB is still a good price though, I have one and it cost me about £95, I wouldn't mind getting another but the thought of losing another TB for the sake of a tenner is putting me off, lol

the newer style 4tb is still available for £10 more

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wd-recertified/my-book-new.html#RWDBBGB0040HBK-EESN

Time to test the warranty, mine has died...

Was getting some images off it, drive became very slow. Ejected - eventually force ejected and remounted it. Nothing. Disk Utility could see the drive but not the partition. Plugged into old laptop running Windows which offered to repair it which successfully allowed me access.

Whilst all the data was duplicated on various other drives, thankfully (for convenience's sake) I was able to copy everything onto a new drive - but any trust in this drive has vanished.

Back