We have all been there[emoji848]

hehehe :D

Maybe he wanted his picture taking :D

Reactions: RIR
A mate of mine spent a night in his car, hoping to catch wild reds in Scotland. He had a 300mm lens mounted and was hoping it would be long enough. He was woken at dawn by the car gently rocking as a stag scratched himself against the door mirror on the driver's side! Him (the mate!) waking up with a start alarmed the stag who bounded off over the hills so my mate never got the shot he was after (on that day, he's since got many great shots.)

Tog may have been deaf.

Looking at the first photo I am surprised the photographer did not see the stag, or even hear it breathing.

Dave

Doesn't remotely surprise me, London deer really are very chilled around people. Not tame (well except for the one I used to hand feed conkers to), just chilled.

I don't want to tempt fate (and hinds can be a bit psycho with calves at foot) but it always amused me to see the awful warnings......and the cammed-up guys with 500mm/600mm/800mm lenses when honestly a 24-70mm would do nicely :)

That pretty much happened to me in Bushy Park some years ago. I was shooting a kestrel in a small tree when I was aware of something behind me. I turned and saw a stag standing about 3 metres behind me.
Although it was during the rut it didn't seem aggressive in any way but rather inquisitive. As discretion is the better part of valour I made my excuses and left, smartish!
It's unusual for the red deer in Bushy to behave like that but the fallow deer, particularly the stags, will approach people as they are constantly being fed by idiots and now will harass anybody looking for food.

Doesn't remotely surprise me, London deer really are very chilled around people. Not tame (well except for the one I used to hand feed conkers to), just chilled.

I don't want to tempt fate (and hinds can be a bit psycho with calves at foot) but it always amused me to see the awful warnings......and the cammed-up guys with 500mm/600mm/800mm lenses when honestly a 24-70mm would do nicely :)

I would love to see some of your 24-70mm shots of WILD deer :) - I am a camed up 600mm user - shall we compare images?

Les :)

Sadly my Richmond days were before I discovered photography! I didn't even have a camera phone - well, I did get one and the actual phone bit was rubbish so I sentiti back, and of course the next day saw 21 stags swimming line astern across the Pen Ponds. Even a nothing-Mp phone pic of that would have been good :(

But I really did happily walk within feet of the (not very) wild beasts. Of course, deer on the hill are a totally different thing, they always seem to make a point of keeping a good 1/2 mile from me!

I once nearly stood on a stag when me and my GF were walking in the hills. I had my head down just walking along when she shouted "Alan! Look up!" and when I did there was a stag not 4ft from me. He'd being laying in the undergrowth and stood up when I got too close and he looked as shocked as I was. He bounded away, stopped to look back at me over his shoulder and then bounded off into the distance. I've only seen deer there twice in my life.

I once nearly stood on a stag when me and my GF were walking in the hills. I had my head down just walking along when she shouted "Alan! Look up!" and when I did there was a stag not 4ft from me. He'd being laying in the undergrowth and stood up when I got too close and he looked as shocked as I was. He bounded away, stopped to look back at me over his shoulder and then bounded off into the distance. I've only seen deer there twice in my life.

I had an almost identical experience on the hills to the west of Loch Laidon on Rannoch Moor. It was hot July day and I was carry my telescope with the intention of find a spot to sit and watch deer from afar. The stag was lying in bracken and I was withing 2 paces of stumbling over it. I was completely unaware of it's presence until rose and made off.

I had an almost identical experience on the hills to the west of Loch Laidon on Rannoch Moor. It was hot July day and I was carry my telescope with the intention of find a spot to sit and watch deer from afar. The stag was lying in bracken and I was withing 2 paces of stumbling over it. I was completely unaware of it's presence until rose and made off.

Our hill is near a chemical plant and I remember my dad used to talk about regularly spotting deer in the plant. I've only seen deer on the hill twice and once saw some emerging from trees into a field as I drove past. I'm always on the look out now and would love to see one again. The second time I saw one on the hill was on a day when it had snowed heavily and was still snowing. I think I must have been the only human there, I certainly didn't see anyone else and a deer crossed the path in front of me. I think they were more open to moving about in daylight due to the lack of people. I didn't get a picture as I only had a short zoom on my camera and the sighting only lasted seconds.

Back