Weald of Kent Steam Rally 2016

Edit My Images
No
I visited the steam rally yesterday not expecting too much from this but much to my surprise it was a very well run and enjoyable event.

It was held in the village of Woodchurch nr Ashford, Kent. The photos I have chosen for now to add are from a line up before a race to see who would be the slowest without the flywheels stopping !!

I have made one in B & W and added the colour version - I think both have their merits but would be happy for comments........

Woodchurch Steam Rally (2 of 2).jpg

Woodchurch Steam Rally (1 of 2).jpg

For more please see my Flickr Album at https://flic.kr/s/aHskFLnskh

Last edited:

Respectfully, Count! I took your colour shot in
my converter and noticed a yellow cast that
translates as a grey cast once converted.

If, dear Count, you would consider the tweak,
it would bring a tad more micro-contrast and
vivid tonalities as well! :)

Thank you @Kodiak Qc for your feedback. I am not quite sure however how to look for this "cast" which I cannot see. Perhaps you can give me some explanation on how to find this, what to do to correct it or better still would you like to adjust the original RAW file for me ?

I visited the steam rally yesterday not expecting too much from this but much to my surprise it was a very well run and enjoyable event.

It was held in the village of Woodchurch nr Ashford, Kent. The photos I have chosen for now to add are from a line up before a race to see who would be the slowest without the flywheels stopping !!

I have made one in B & W and added the colour version - I think both have their merits but would be happy for comments........

View attachment 71008

View attachment 71009

For more please see my Flickr Album at https://flic.kr/s/aHskFLnskh

Sounds like an interesting event. I prefer the colour one, all the machines stand out better against the blue sky than in the mono version only the nearest one does.

Thanks @273K it was certainly interesting and there were a lot of photographic opportunities to be had. If I had but realised this I may have take a different lens with me.

The colour one is better the b\w all seem to merge into each other

Much prefer the colour version but can't help feeling that there's too much empty grass in the foreground.

I like the weird perspective of the second shot in that Flickr link - the way the person in the background towers over the engine in the foreground tickles my warped sense of humour! (And an uncle has a 6" scale traction engine so I have a soft spot for the miniatures!)

Back