Web Space/Photo Hosting.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
The site where I currently host my pics is a family one which is very convenient as well as being free, but the host provider is shortly to be changed and a different board format used, as well as version 2 of Gallery which may mean some of my hot linked images being lost in the process. I hate old threads with dead photo links with a vengeance.:annoyed:

Anyway, I'm currently thinking about paying for some space. It wont be anything fancy, just somewhere to store and host images from, preferably with a nice easy Gallery type facility, and to this end I'm looking for any pointers towards good reliable hosting, and some indication of cost as I have no clue whatsoever where this stuff is involved.

Thanks in advance. :)

www.jaguarpc.com

I was told about them by a friend a few years ago and have used them since. They have been unfailingly helpful whenever I have needed help with anything. They are US based and I'm on their Gigadeal X5, paying yearly which works out today at just under £52 for 5gb web space, 75gb bandwidth. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Their forums are here http://forums.jaguarpc.com/

The gallery script which they provide is coppermine but you can use anything you like.

You could use the same hosts as we use for the site Catalyst2

They do flexible packages but I use the very basic one for my own personal stuff and its works out at rather measily £14.09 per year.

For that you will get..

- 250 MB Disk Space
- 1 GB Monthly Data Transfer
- 1 Catch-All E-Mail Account
- 1 Mailing List
- 1 Subdomain
- 1 mySQL Database
- PHP4, Perl Supported
- Frontpage 2002 Extensions

But they are very flexible and will increase bandwidth and help you with difficult months without just cutting you off dead.

If you go with them I would recommend going on their Linux server as we know the gentleman that adminsters that one directly, which is always useful.

http://www.catalyst2.com/services/hosting/linux/index.asp

www.flickr.com its free, nice and easy to use. You can also pay for more features. Assuming you don't want to design a full site, its brilliant. You can even design a site an import photos from flickr into it.

www.34sp.com don't do anything that isn't offered elsewhere. But they do it so, so much better. The support is lightning fast and they're very helpful. They have their own forums, plus chat room and even (gasp) telephone support. Try finding other webhosts that offer telephone support. You'll be unpleasantly surprised.

I've been with them over a year having moved from another host who I was VERY unhappy with.

The only thing I would say is host your domain name elsewhere - either www.ukreg.com or at 123reg (not sure of URL) - because then it'll be very easy to change the DNS records if you do decide to move hosts in the future (which you won't if you choose 34sp, I promise).

Agreed about ukreg I use them as well.

I use and can recommend www.web-mania.com for cheap hosting. They offer

* 600MB of disk space
* 6GB of data transfer per month
* Frontpage extensions version 2002
* Unlimited POP3 mail@yourdomain.com
* Unlimited mail forwarding mail@yourdomain.com
* Webmail for POP3 accounts
* Email is filtered for Spam and Viruses
* Unlimited subdomains of your domain name
e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com/
* CGI-BIN directory
* Control Panel
* Perl 5
* PHP 4
* SSI (server side includes)
* MySQL Database
* phpMyAdmin for MySQL management
* SSH access
* Full FTP access
* Detailed visitor statistics
* Close control downflow air conditioning units.
* UPS system and Generator back-up

All for £23.50 / year.

I host my gallery (www.mr-sneeze.co.uk) there and have just signed up for a second year.

I also recommend www.123reg.co.uk for domain names.

I also host my milouvision.net domain at webmania. No probs. at all.

Steep said:
Agreed about ukreg I use them as well.

I've used them for years for domain name registration.
They are part of Fasthosts...excellent hosting but pricey.

One to avoid is Streamline. (They pretend to be unlimited webspace and bandwidth)
They suspended my account for hosting original copyright free recordings of my musical exploits over the years, all directly linked to pages on my site (not just stored or shared on their server which wasn't in breach of their T & C's, but they wouldn't admit they were wrong to kill my site and email without warning so I told them where to stick it.
A lousy company to deal with.

CT said:
Anyway, I'm currently thinking about paying for some space. It wont be anything fancy, just somewhere to store and host images from, preferably with a nice easy Gallery type facility

I really strongly recommend Smugmug. I absolutely love the flexibility, the unlimited hosting, the high bandwith, easy share, easy to protect some galleries and not others, and upgradability.

The customer service is brilliant - I often put in a pre-sales query before buying something just to get a feel of it and their's was great.

They also do a 7 day trial. I am also thinking of getting Star Explorer - a pc based accompaniment see here that allows integration with the Windows desktop. This program is written to take advantage of the Smugmug API by an independent developer.

I have a referrer code vQaE04ztOV4vw that gets us both $5 off the service if you use it.

My gallery is here.

Just had a look at the TheName website and MY GOD they are shysters! lol
HOW MUCH!

As Simon says...

I do recommend Smugmug. I'm a very satisfied user since a year ago, very easy to use, they have 3 different packages that fills for any kind of need you have.

Very easy to upload pictures both from Mac or PC (I use Mac), the support it's great, if you send an email, in an 1hr or 2, you will have an answer.

Give it a try, use Simon code (he put it first).

If any one wants to try it, just click here.

Cheers.

Back