Website Critique wanted

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, after a recent hacking of my wordpress sites a complete strip and rebuild and refocus has been undertaken and I wonder if i could trouble people here to have a look and critique?

www.donniephotography.co.uk

It's not a business site though I am thinking of integrating some way to sell prints in the future, but probably a long way in the future.

The landscape images rotated in background look very soft, and IMO won't do you any favours. Also the 2 lightbulb images look so similar that it took several goes of wondering why the same picture was coming up twice before I realised they were actually different.

TBH it makes no sense as a landing page to me because there's only 2 places to go (blog of choosing a wedding photographer) and those options are lost on the top menu bar while you're watching the images scroll past. Sure there are little 'social media' icons up there, but they have even less significance than the other titles. TBH if I were a random visitor instead of coming from here & trying to offer crit I wouldn't have stopped long enough to explore even this far - it feels like an attractive landing page without ready content - and I'd just move on.

Were you planning to develop it further?

Thanks for the input Toni, I am planning at some point on adding more content and perhaps adding some images for sale, but thats going to be some time away I think. I'll remove one of the bulb shots I think too as, now you point it out, I can see what you are saying.

Revolves too fast for me (laptop win7) I could not stay and try and figure anything out. I did notice on some top border "wedding photography". If that is the case I have no idea what were the images below meant to convey...

Past wedding photgraphy, from when i used to do it. Maybe I need to remove that then though then im left with very little in the top menu?

On saying that it will leave me with the about page for those that will take the time to read it :) and the blog page which will slowly build up over time and thats pretty much all I need surely as it's really just a site for me and my photography?
I will likely add a few menu pages in time, eg landscape, projects, light painting too and have tweaked the landing page again to add a pause button if anyone wants to take longer looking at a particular picture.

Thanks again :)

TBH I don't think that a home/landing page is helpful if the main event is a blog & about page. Better to make the blog the landing page so that content is available, with side bars or menu above to take the viewer to other places. Make links obvious & easy to find so that people can easily find & follow them.

Back