Website design

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I realise there are lots of posts asking for advice on how to build personal site. I am slowly trawling my way through W3schools trying to understand the basics, its sinking in slowly. I have several questions and hope you may be able to help me.

I am wondering what size is the standard image - for expamle 800-533. Is that to big for loading purposes or for hosting.

Do you think it is better to have the images opening up for a thumb nail or say a theme like abstract then scrolling down.

I am not after a big site maybe ten picture on three or four themes, which i would change every so often, do i need a specific type of hosting etc.

I would like something simple like this site http://qstatistic.com/foto/i.php. Hope its okay that i put the link in this post.
Sorry for the basic questions.

Hope you can help.

Lee

Image size depends on several things. For instance, I would suggest that you don't go about 640x480 unless you are watermarking them. This will just stop people from downloading them and using them as they want.

I would suggest a thumbnail to large image approach, even though you say you only want 10 images up at a time that may change in the future and thumbnails will give you more room.

As for hosting, that depends entirely on what gallery software you are going to use! If its PHP based, make sure your web host supports it, some don't :O

Hi

I realise there are lots of posts asking for advice on how to build personal site. I am slowly trawling my way through W3schools trying to understand the basics, its sinking in slowly. I have several questions and hope you may be able to help me.

I am wondering what size is the standard image - for expamle 800-533. Is that to big for loading purposes or for hosting.

Do you think it is better to have the images opening up for a thumb nail or say a theme like abstract then scrolling down.

I am not after a big site maybe ten picture on three or four themes, which i would change every so often, do i need a specific type of hosting etc.

I would like something simple like this site http://qstatistic.com/foto/i.php. Hope its okay that i put the link in this post.
Sorry for the basic questions.

Hope you can help.

Lee

Stuff the "standard image size"
what size do you want
There isnt a rule on this

Advice
Draw your design on paper, and decribe how it expands / contracts with windowe re-sizing, and keep banging away untill your website looks like the paper

Stuff the "standard image size"
what size do you want
There isnt a rule on this

No there aren't any rules, but you don't want to provide full size shots without watermarks because people will just download them and use them as they like. Anything over 640x480 should at least be watermarked!

And don't think that by providing full size un-watermarked images but disabling 'right click > save as..' will help because it doesn't. All they need to do is print screen!

Advice
Draw your design on paper, and decribe how it expands / contracts with windowe re-sizing, and keep banging away untill your website looks like the paper

This is pretty much the best way of approaching this :D

Thanks for the replies.

Just early days yet, messing around on Bluevoda too. Steep learning curve for me. Is the gallery software very important. I seen things on w3school on CSS. Or am i missing something

Cheers

You'll need more than CSS for a gallery.

CSS is purely for presentation. HTML is the markup to display text and images. The 2 should not be mixed up or doing the other job.

By getting into gallery software, if you want to your gallery updated easily, by just uploading images and thumbs via ftp, then you'll need to look into PHP or any other server side language to help display the images and navigate your way round a gallery. Which is as simple or as complicated as you make it to be.

Hope that helps.

:)

hi thanks

Does the website i posted a link to seem easy to design.

thanks for the explaination.

Just goes to show i have too much to learn yet

lee

And don't think that by providing full size un-watermarked images but disabling 'right click > save as..' will help because it doesn't. All they need to do is print screen!

See I don't think a watrermark will save it, if they want the image that bad, a watermark (one that doesn't make it impossible to appreciate the pic) is not going to stand in the way if someone who is very determined.

Look at the Pro's sites, Zack Arias, Chase Jarvis et al. No watermark in site, yet soo many amatuers do this on portfolios.

To me watermarks only mess the image, and do nothing for the determined person who wishes to use it.

See I don't think a watrermark will save it, if they want the image that bad, a watermark (one that doesn't make it impossible to appreciate the pic) is not going to stand in the way if someone who is very determined.

Look at the Pro's sites, Zack Arias, Chase Jarvis et al. No watermark in site, yet soo many amatuers do this on portfolios.

To me watermarks only mess the image, and do nothing for the determined person who wishes to use it.

I completely agree. All the professional photographers realise that larger images showcase their work better. If some slip through the net and are stolen, so be it. The pros out weight the cons, in more ways than one ;)

And print screen, who cares about that, the image is still down-rezzed and shoddy for true commercial printing. Someone wants to print my images in **** quality, I wont like it, but I wont cry.

There are a range of issues and thought on this - I wrote an article on it.. http://www.placeofdesign.com/protecting-images-online

Thanks for the replies.

Just early days yet, messing around on Bluevoda too. Steep learning curve for me. Is the gallery software very important. I seen things on w3school on CSS. Or am i missing something

Cheers

There are several issues here. A portfolio Is VERY different to a gallery. have a look at one of my customers sites to see the difference

www.caronphotography.co.uk

A portfolio is a vehical for shopwing your work at its very best
A gallery is a way of organising lots of work efficently

Thanks for the replies.

The website is a personal goal, to teach myself a basic site which can show some of my images. Yes everyone wants to earn money from the images maybe through their own website.

I realise that my lack of knowledge is shown in these posts and there is masses more to learn. I now know more than I did last week, which is a good result for me.

Thanks again

Lee

Back