Website for client files

Edit My Images
No
Hey everyone, looking for some opinions if possible... I do the odd shoot now and then and the odd wedding... Here's my question though... Where does everyone host their client files to show them like an online gallery? Do you host them on your own website or do you upload to another site designed for it like pixiset? Or perhaps use Dropbox or one drive? Thanks in advance.

On my website, I created a folder I call "private".
Inside that folder is another one containing the
index file of a given gallery.

It is the url address of that index file I send to
the interested.

As above, I also use my own web space.

Each job is delivered via a private gallery where the client can view the images and download the files individually, or a 'zip' file of the entire job.
('Private' in that they can't be navigated to from my website, only via the url supplied to them.)

I find it works really well for me. It's preferable to email a simple url to the client, rather than a bunch of files that may get lost, blocked or inadvertently altered by inadequate software (IPTC/EXIF stripped, recompressed, resized etc.).

I feel it also offers a superior experience for them to view the images in a clean, professional, branded, multifunctional gallery as opposed to clumsily clicking on each image within their email client, webmail or computer's file browser.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help folks. If you use your own website is it built with the likes of wordpress or what way do you guys make it? Also what way do you have your gallerys? like as Kodiak says do you just put them in a folder and let them browse from there or is it done via a plugin or photocart as neil_g says. Cant say I've heard of photocatr but will look into it.

what way do you have your gallerys?

Capture One is my tool of choice for this one of many reasons.

After developing my RAWs, I select the pictures I want to publish
in a gallery, give it a title and GO. Anywhere you want, the gallery
(containing the thumbnails, photos, CSS files and the index) will
appear.

Just upload it to my private folder on my website and send the
link to the client. Voilà!

Capture One is my tool of choice for this one of many reasons.

After developing my RAWs, I select the pictures I want to publish
in a gallery, give it a title and GO. Anywhere you want, the gallery
(containing the thumbnails, photos, CSS files and the index) will
appear.

Just upload it to my private folder on my website and send the
link to the client. Voilà!
Wow that does sound very handy indeed, can you password protect it too? I see lightroom has a web function but honestly never tried it so I don't know what it does.

Hey everyone, looking for some opinions if possible... I do the odd shoot now and then and the odd wedding... Here's my question though... Where does everyone host their client files to show them like an online gallery? Do you host them on your own website or do you upload to another site designed for it like pixiset? Or perhaps use Dropbox or one drive? Thanks in advance.

I use Pixieset, but they also get a USB with hi res files.

If handing over hi-res files, I'd just use something like Google Drive, or WeTransfer.

Pixieset is free if you only have smaller galleries I believe. But then they take a commission on prints

You can use Lightroom mobile if you don't want to invest in a site or additional software for the odd shoot / client proofing ;)

Back