Website revamp.. UPDATED (Popups replaced)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Got inspired today, and decided to have another attempt!

http://www.witchalls.com/

Not actually touting for buisness etc.. at the mo, but if someone followed my url from a photo / watermark on a photo and wanted similar results, then I'd be happy to oblidge!

Any feedback welcome :)

Ta,
Dave.

I can only assume then, that the 24 people who viewed this thread were indifferent! lol

As much as I like your images, I dont like the windows that pop up, they seem quite dated, the close and minimize icon make it look like an early version of Windows :D

I didnt like it when the message said "Close Gallery?", just annoyed me a bit :D

Its a nice looking site though, just a couple of gripes from me :)

As much as I like your images, I dont like the windows that pop up, they seem quite dated, the close and minimize icon make it look like an early version of Windows :D

I didnt like it when the message said "Close Gallery?", just annoyed me a bit :D

Its a nice looking site though, just a couple of gripes from me :)

Thanks for the feedback :D

I know what you mean about the buttons, do you think a normal popup window would be better?

Front page is quite stylish but I too am not a fan of the pop up window and it is annoying to have to close it with 2 clicks.

Thanks Betty and Alby, appriciate the feedback

I'll have a think about what to replace those popups with :) (or see if I can make them look nicer, and remove the close prompt)

Dave.

I like the website, but agree with the pop ups :).

Another one agreeing with the pop ups thing.

Also, it seems to load slowly for me. I know that when I was looking for a photographer, if the website took ages to load, I moved on.

Lastly, I think you have some great images there, but I spent a lot of time waiting for the next image to load. I think it's a personal preference of slideshow vs "choose a thumbnail & click on it". I go for the latter, whereby some people think that forcing someone to look through a slideshow opens them up to the possibility of seeing something they like. I guess it's an opinion thing.

-H

I agree with Harelquin tbh, I prefer to select a thumbnail (which is why we should all make thumbnails shout 'wow') to see a picture. The popup was a surprising retro step back for me. Most people have the dhtml stuff or flash to do that these days.

for the popups, take a look at slimbox it pops up the images using javascript, here's an example on one of my sites

http://newtojoomla.com/tutorials/slimbox-setup.html

this is how to use it on a Joomla cms site, I know you are not using that, but you can get the idea of how it opens the window. BTW the window gets sized automatically too

Hi Dave,

Maybe if you want to start learning some code and implementation you could look at http://script.aculo.us/ or prototype js, most mondern pop ups use this framework these days. Or as i think sitemaster said, basically you could use a lightbox script!

thanks for the feedback/comments/ideas everyone. Ill have a proper read and look at the links when I'm back from Turkey next week :)

jalbum.net is an excellent html creater, pick the album you want then just upload your fotos, rest is done automaticly, then edit the end result with the extra pages you need

Just started to look at sorting this, and the popups are the first thing on the agenda!

I was trying to use lightbox / slimbox, and I ended up at Slimbox Extended (I want to load content, not just images) and that works a treat for standard links.... but my menu links are image maps, and it doesn't like it :(

Anyone got any ideas of ways round this, or alternative suggestions? I did find one forum post on google about it with amended code, but that didnt seem to work :(

Thanks,
Dave.

haven't had time for a proper look, but why have a link on the home page that leads to your home page?

:)

That'll be an automatic link creation :)

Site looks really good, did you create it from scratch or use a web site designer or template?

Maybe I should actually read the whole thread :)........ It's good though

haven't had time for a proper look, but why have a link on the home page that leads to your home page?

:)

Think that was as cowaski said below, auto created. :)

That'll be an automatic link creation :)

Site looks really good, did you create it from scratch or use a web site designer or template?

Maybe I should actually read the whole thread :)........ It's good though

I borrowed part of the background (It was allowed for use, didn't just steal it lol) then customised it a little bit, added parts from some smoke photos I took, and then made the polaroid type image frames in photoshop

I then found some lightbox style script yesterday to make the popups look a bit more modern

Dave.

I've been messing with the popups again, as I was having trouble with them showing the same across the different browsers!

I *Think* I've got it sorted now, I've tried with Safari, Firefox and I.E 8, the only thing I can't seem to escape from is I.E add a scroll bar on the gallery popup, but guess I'll have to live with that! (I've searched the support section/forum for the makers of the popup code)

Working for you guys?

Dave.

I've looked at the front page and the Gallery and like both. The front page I like a lot as it looks clean. There does however appear to be a lot of wasted space in grey around the edges.

Back