Website / wp expert advice & help plz

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Hoping someone can help. I'm not ready to do it YET.... but...

I am currently working on my husband's new website which I have done as a wordpress site, in a beta folder so the main website is unaffected and still running. At some point, I am going to need to shut the main one down and move the beta to the main directory. I've been googling it and reading up on it everywhere, and I'll be perfectly honest, it scares me, fear of losing something or getting it wrong.

For future reference, is there anyone who could 'hands on' assist me with this when it comes time?

Many thanks in advance!

Beth

No don't do that, that's is messy and will not work correctly

Can you send me a link via pm to your husbands current website so I can take a quick peek.

Is your husbands current site based off of Wordpress as well?

Anyway I would be happy to take a look and advise, please feel free to PM me

Oh an as an aside, just as I am sure you do with your photographic work, take backups, not just of the files but of the database as well

Why wouldn't it work correctly, the 301 redirect tells the servers that the website address has permanently changed, you can also redirect old pages that search engines have cached to the new site as well using a 301.

The biggest issue with wordpress of course is changing all the URLs inside wordpress and the GUIDs on posts.

There are step by step instructions here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress#Moving_Directories_On_Your_Existing_Server

Unfortunately, part of my day-job is Wordpress development. If you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to help you move it - it'd only take five minutes.

Johnsy makes a good point, also. Adding 301s for your old site will prevent users suffering with broken bookmarks and such like. His method is sound and will work.

As posted above by mike, the wordpress link is how I do it.
I use wamp or xamp for offline development (wordpress or joomla), then when ready move it to my live server.

I am glad you all have crystal balls and can advise on how to do the move etc.

Myself, well I prefer to find out all the relevant information before advising, hence my fist set of questions above.

Really really sorry for not replying sooner... totally forgot about 'watching' the thread. Thanks guys for your offer of help, it's much appreciated. Mike, I've seen that link before in my many googles... I know it can't be rocket science...

I shall be back when I'm in a better position and getting ready to move things alone. Just needed to know who the experts were out there.

Thanks again fellas! :)

Myself, well I prefer to find out all the relevant information before advising, hence my fist set of questions above.

The OP provided us with all the information required to advise on the move :)

Migrating WP websites is fairly trivial. I see Mike has posted a link to a good guide.

These are the steps I usually go through - they actually looks a bit less unwieldy than the techniques outlined on codex.wordpress.org.

Step 1.
Make a careful note of the URL from which the website is served from, e.g.
"www.mywebsite.com/beta".

Step 2.
Back-up files - there should be a facility within your hosts control panel to do this. If you are given a choice about what folders to backup, exclude any log folders. Most hosts actually give you a folder called htdocs which is the root folder of the website. It's really just the root folder you need to backup.

Step 3.
Back-up the database. Your host probably has a link to something called PHPMyAdmin which you can use for this. It's fairly point and click. The option you are looking for is 'Export' and you can probably just

Step 4.
Carefully delete the contents of the web folder from the old site. Or move it into a new obviously named sub folder. You should be able to do this via the hosts control panel or via an FTP client.

Step 5.
Copy the contents of your beta folder to the root folder of your website, as discussed in step 2 it might be called htdocs.

Step 6.
Download the zip file from the bottom of this page, after reading the whole page carefully. Unzip it and transfer the resultant .php file to your website root folder

Step 7.
Visit "www.mywebsite.com/theNameOfTheScript.php" in a browser and carefully follow the instructions. It should be able to connect to the database using your wp-config.php file. All you need to give it is the old url that the website was on, as noted in step 1 and the new url. Wait for the script to complete, and when it's finished delete it from the wwwroot.

Step 8.
Test the website.

I've used this method over a dozen times without a hitch. If it does go wrong, then that's what the backups we took in Step 2 and Step 3 are for.

It's good to try and regularly backup your site, ideally through an automated process. Your web host may offer that. If not, then you should periodically do steps 2 and 3, download the backups and keep them somewhere safe.

I tend to take fresh back-ups before making any major changes to my WordPress sites too - although I'll probably have the automated soon.

Just break the instructions down and do them one step at a time. Print them off if you prefer to, so you can cross out the steps you have done and go for a tea break in between.

If something goes wrong, just post back here to get some further assistance.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Migrating WP websites is fairly trivial. I see Mike has posted a link to a good guide.

These are the steps I usually go through - they actually looks a bit less unwieldy than the techniques outlined on codex.wordpress.org.

Step 1.
Make a careful note of the URL from which the website is served from, e.g.
"www.mywebsite.com/beta".

Step 2.
Back-up files - there should be a facility within your hosts control panel to do this. If you are given a choice about what folders to backup, exclude any log folders. Most hosts actually give you a folder called htdocs which is the root folder of the website. It's really just the root folder you need to backup.

Step 3.
Back-up the database. Your host probably has a link to something called PHPMyAdmin which you can use for this. It's fairly point and click. The option you are looking for is 'Export' and you can probably just

Step 4.
Carefully delete the contents of the web folder from the old site. Or move it into a new obviously named sub folder. You should be able to do this via the hosts control panel or via an FTP client.

Step 5.
Copy the contents of your beta folder to the root folder of your website, as discussed in step 2 it might be called htdocs.

Step 6.
Download the zip file from the bottom of this page, after reading the whole page carefully. Unzip it and transfer the resultant .php file to your website root folder

Step 7.
Visit "www.mywebsite.com/theNameOfTheScript.php" in a browser and carefully follow the instructions. It should be able to connect to the database using your wp-config.php file. All you need to give it is the old url that the website was on, as noted in step 1 and the new url. Wait for the script to complete, and when it's finished delete it from the wwwroot.

Step 8.
Test the website.

I've used this method over a dozen times without a hitch. If it does go wrong, then that's what the backups we took in Step 2 and Step 3 are for.

It's good to try and regularly backup your site, ideally through an automated process. Your web host may offer that. If not, then you should periodically do steps 2 and 3, download the backups and keep them somewhere safe.

I tend to take fresh back-ups before making any major changes to my WordPress sites too - although I'll probably have the automated soon.

Just break the instructions down and do them one step at a time. Print them off if you prefer to, so you can cross out the steps you have done and go for a tea break in between.

If something goes wrong, just post back here to get some further assistance.
Good luck.

Hi Daniel
First, let me apologize again for missing this. Must really remember to tick the box 'watch thread'!!!!

I've read your post... several times, it makes sense. Except that I noticed there was no mention of changing the website url in the settings and turning off permalinks??

Ok, so let me tell you what I've done... (did) - have now put things back.

The original website was www.uniecprestige.co.uk and I created my beta in a beta folder. I (had) successfully moved everything across and all (with the exception of a few links which was easily fixable) was working having followed similar instructions above, with the exception that I changed url's in settings and turned off permalinks (then put them back to what they were afterwards.

When we googled 'Uniec Prestige' it came in the search engine links to the old site (contact us, etc). If you google Uniec Prestige now, you'll see the listing that it comes up with, which when the beta is in the root folder and the old site removed, these links don't work. Having googled what I thought I needed to do, I edited the .htacccess file with what I thought were the correct texts and tested it only on the contact us page (redirecting contactus.php to uniecprestige.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/ in what I thought was the correct format). That's where it all went wrong. From that point, I could no longer access any of my pages other than the homepage. One thing though, I expected there to be some text in the .htaccess file... but there wasn't.

From my cpanel, I uploaded the backup I had taken previously, so now the site is back to the way it was, pre-migration.

So my question is - how do I move this across and ensure that google is directing correctly when searched. Unfortunately, the previous maker of the website is no longer with the company and don't know if there is a separate logon for google business (if that's even needed).

I have downloaded the plugin google xml sitemaps but have not activated it yet. I thought it may come in handy when the beta moves to the root.

So, any suggestion as to where I went wrong and how to fix it? I went from totally excited this morning having successfully moved it across to completely deflated when I totally ballsed it up.

Back to square one.

Any assistance or suggestion you or anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Beth

This is why I said the above

As you can see from Beth's latest post the original website was not even a WordPress one, so all of you crystal ball gazers who offered up advice on migrating WordPress sites should perhaps now apologise to Beth.

Beth I would suggest using a simple plugin on your actual WordPress installation called simple 301 redirects, it is easy to set up and use, you can find it HERE

Make your WordPress site live, install & configure the plugin and you should be good to go

Last edited:
By the way it is worth adding that the changes wont be reflected in search results instantaneously, they take time to be indexed properly

Beth I would suggest using a simple plugin on your actual WordPress installation called simple 301 redirects, it is easy to set up and use, you can find it HERE

Make your WordPress site live, install & configure the plugin and you should be good to go

Thanks Keith. I actually omitted (forgot) that I had tried that, but I'm not sure if I did that AFTER I tried fiddling with the .htaccess file. I'll have to give it another go.

Thanks so much.

I see the new website is up, looks good.

Did a quick google for Uniec Prestige and it comes up fine with all links opening up relevant pages on new website

I see the new website is up, looks good.

Did a quick google for Uniec Prestige and it comes up fine with all links opening up relevant pages on new website
Thanks Keith. A few more tweaks to make, but I'm happy I got it where I needed to. Thanks for all your advice.
Cheers!

Hi Beth,

Hi Daniel
I've read your post... several times, it makes sense. Except that I noticed there was no mention of changing the website url in the settings and turning off permalinks??

It shouldn't be necessary to do either. The script should change the website url in the settings. The only reason to disable permalinks is if you are moving to hosting without the Apache URL Re-write module installed.
I'm sorry you had to persevere and I'm glad you seem to have things resolved now.

As you can see from Beth's latest post the original website was not even a WordPress one, so all of you crystal ball gazers who offered up advice on migrating WordPress sites should perhaps now apologise to Beth.

My post was specific to the Wordpress website migration (moving it from the beta folder to webroot) and advised backing up the existing website in case anything unexpected happened. It's good that you were on-hand to help Beth but that negative attitude toward the other contributors in this thread is neither necessary or constructive. All you will do is discourage other posters from helping people in future.

Last edited:
Back