Wedding#8 - Hope Im going in the right direction

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Somtimes I feel like Im banging my head against the wall - trying too hard so the last two weddings i have done have been much more relaxed and I've gone with the flow. Processing is now down to a minimum. i.e. contrast, sharpness and white balance.

The only thing that buggered me up with this one, is where all the previous weddings I have shot had white dresses, so easy to get it - this one had a cream coloured dress so my white balance has been based on the fella's shirts. Sorry its a lot of images but I havent had a chance to blog it yet.

So here goes: Dan and Toni tied the knot towards the end of August this year. They have been together for 15 years I think but only now getting it sorted (better late than never). I've known Dan for about two years, through the car-scene and he's an absolute gem of a bloke, truly. His wife Toni, gorgeous, intelligent and just as kind. Was a proper treat to be part of their wedding.

IMG_0009 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

IMG_0004 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

IMG_0028 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

4.. Dad meeting the bride and everything starts getting emotional
IMG_0142 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

5.. The grooms shoe's and his young lads shoes on either side - very shiny!
IMG_0100 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

6.. The groom's car for the wedding
IMG_0180 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

7.. The bride's matching colour car (a sweet Jag)
IMG_0194 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

8.. Bride's mum have a tearful moment
IMG_0318 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

IMG_0350 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

10.. The grooms mum and dad - a right pair they were - very funny and I felt so comfortable with them - was like being with my own mum and dad.
IMG_0420 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

11.. A few kids after the ceremony in the registry garden, had to grab this
_MG_1618 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

12.. The groom's oldest lad trying his best to pop a streamer
IMG_0542 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

IMG_0549 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

14.. The groom's Nan - up for a laugh, bless her
IMG_0572 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

15.. They had two wedding cakes - one quite normal and then there was this - a Pork Pie wedding cake.
IMG_0616 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

16.. My absolute favourite - I think it just shows how much they love each other
IMG_0621 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

17.. Had to use the macro lens for this one, I could not read the inscription with bare eyes so when I used the 105mm sigma, I had to put the two rings together to get the complete message captured.
IMG_0654 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

I hope I seem to have made progress, I dont like the "stuck" in the mud feeling - I might get hammered for these images but as much as the couple love their photos, sometimes you need your peers to just tell the truth on what they think.

All suggestions/crit appreciated - your time on this is gratefully received :)

62 views and no comments, so OK I'll bite ...

#1 If you're going to do a snap of a card with a load of writing on it, you really do need to get all of it pin sharp. I used to do this very shot when we first started, and I had exactly the same problem. Then it dawned on me that it's actually a waste of time taking the bloody picture. If the card's important to them, they'll keep it.

#2 Nice try, but again you're up against it with both ends of the ribbon not being in quite the same plane. You're stacking the odds against you with so little DoF. Higher ISO?

#3 Fair enough, but didn't it need to be portrait?

#4 is well caught and #5 is well done

#6 is nice enough but rather unimaginative. Having said that though I can imagine what problems you'd have with reflections if you tried to get creative, and in any case the guys probably wouldn't want you poncing about too long at that point in the proceedings

#7 is very well done indeed if you had to shoot it from there, and #8 could only have been improved if you were more to your left

All you needed for #9 to work really well is more experience. Then you'd automatically frame it so that the head blocking the shot is between the couple's heads. Trust me - stuff like this soon becomes instinctive.

#10 fair enough, but why aren't they looking at you?

#11 again, fair enough for what it is. #12 is well caught, but if you can, always try to avoid the hands heading your way (and very often blocking the face), by shooting from more of an angle. Yes, I do know it's a grab shot, but yes, this too comes with experience ;)

#13 Hmmm ...

#14, 15 and 16 are all well caught and #17's very well done indeed.

HTH a bit :)

Hey Carl,
I think your strongest quality illustrated here is your persuasive story telling.
Really great moments were registered: fun, emotions, many candid un-payable
moments like the Nan in #14.

Shots like 7, 9, and 12 are perfectly exposed but, from a shot to the other, some
irregularities in the exposure and/or WB (#10) show definitely that you are not there
yet but I confirm that you're heading the right way.

I said somewhere that as an event photographer, one is not an actor but a witness
Here, you clearly show that you've doing, in this regard, a darn good job!

nothing to add to Dan's excellent crib bar 1 comment on 16. Get the DJ to switch his little red lights off during first dance. He's got a sniper aiming at his crotch. Although overlook able this time, when its in the middle of here head and ruined an otherwise great shot promise you'll swear lots

Get the DJ to switch his little red lights off during first dance. He's got a sniper aiming at his crotch.

Nice one Hugh, I should have spotted that but I didn't.

AFAIC any pinpoint lighting during the first dance is out of order - particularly those lasers that do the mass of tiny light spots.

You don't say whether you wanted crit on these Carl, but seeing as other have commented I'll have a go.

To be honest, most of them look like grab shots to me - sorry. Here's my view on some of them:-

1. I would have cropped this tighter to lose the distractions to the top left.. I don't mind if not all the words are equally sharp.

2. Maybe chose a better placement for the shoes ? Also, is that ring placed on the shoe ? Doesn't work for me.

3. Difficult to expose for against a bright window. Could you have placed it anywhere facing the window instead ? If not, I sometimes shoot closer and capture details.

4. Sorry, bride's expression is awful.

5. Not sure on the blue blanket plus reflections in the shoes don't help.

6. Crop is a bit tight for my liking.

7. Not the greatest angle to grab the bride getting out of the car plus the reflections in bodywork are distracting.

15. My favourite and a nice capture. The only thing I would do is crop a bit tighter and lose the guy in the blue shirt. Are they giant pasties by the way ?

I hope you don't think I'm being a tw*t but I try to comment based on what/how I tend to shoot. Keep posting though mate.

62 views and no comments, so OK I'll bite ...

#1 If you're going to do a snap of a card with a load of writing on it, you really do need to get all of it pin sharp. I used to do this very shot when we first started, and I had exactly the same problem. Then it dawned on me that it's actually a waste of time taking the bloody picture. If the card's important to them, they'll keep it.

#2 Nice try, but again you're up against it with both ends of the ribbon not being in quite the same plane. You're stacking the odds against you with so little DoF. Higher ISO?

#3 Fair enough, but didn't it need to be portrait?

#4 is well caught and #5 is well done

#6 is nice enough but rather unimaginative. Having said that though I can imagine what problems you'd have with reflections if you tried to get creative, and in any case the guys probably wouldn't want you poncing about too long at that point in the proceedings

#7 is very well done indeed if you had to shoot it from there, and #8 could only have been improved if you were more to your left

All you needed for #9 to work really well is more experience. Then you'd automatically frame it so that the head blocking the shot is between the couple's heads. Trust me - stuff like this soon becomes instinctive.

#10 fair enough, but why aren't they looking at you?

#11 again, fair enough for what it is. #12 is well caught, but if you can, always try to avoid the hands heading your way (and very often blocking the face), by shooting from more of an angle. Yes, I do know it's a grab shot, but yes, this too comes with experience ;)

#13 Hmmm ...

#14, 15 and 16 are all well caught and #17's very well done indeed.

HTH a bit :)
Cheers Dan - appreciate the time you took into the post, all points duly noted (y)(y)

Hey Carl,
I think your strongest quality illustrated here is your persuasive story telling.
Really great moments were registered: fun, emotions, many candid un-payable
moments like the Nan in #14.

Shots like 7, 9, and 12 are perfectly exposed but, from a shot to the other, some
irregularities in the exposure and/or WB (#10) show definitely that you are not there
yet but I confirm that you're heading the right way.

I said somewhere that as an event photographer, one is not an actor but a witness
Here, you clearly show that you've doing, in this regard, a darn good job!
(y) Thanks, Im not good with posed shots (not bossy enough and I know I need to be a little more persuasive) - thanks for the comments - most appreciated :)

nothing to add to Dan's excellent crib bar 1 comment on 16. Get the DJ to switch his little red lights off during first dance. He's got a sniper aiming at his crotch. Although overlook able this time, when its in the middle of here head and ruined an otherwise great shot promise you'll swear lots
I know - those feckin laser lights - I did ask the DJ if he could switch them off as it does my head in trying to use replacement colour tool in PS but "he couldnt", think he was a bit lazy tbh but thanks for spotting it (mind the pun hahaha) - cheers (y)

You don't say whether you wanted crit on these Carl, but seeing as other have commented I'll have a go.

To be honest, most of them look like grab shots to me - sorry. Here's my view on some of them:-

1. I would have cropped this tighter to lose the distractions to the top left.. I don't mind if not all the words are equally sharp.

2. Maybe chose a better placement for the shoes ? Also, is that ring placed on the shoe ? Doesn't work for me.

3. Difficult to expose for against a bright window. Could you have placed it anywhere facing the window instead ? If not, I sometimes shoot closer and capture details.

4. Sorry, bride's expression is awful.

5. Not sure on the blue blanket plus reflections in the shoes don't help.

6. Crop is a bit tight for my liking.

7. Not the greatest angle to grab the bride getting out of the car plus the reflections in bodywork are distracting.

15. My favourite and a nice capture. The only thing I would do is crop a bit tighter and lose the guy in the blue shirt. Are they giant pasties by the way ?

I hope you don't think I'm being a tw*t but I try to comment based on what/how I tend to shoot. Keep posting though mate.
No, you're not a t.wat matey - I appreciate the time and effort into examining the images and honest crit is the best (y) Most appreciated :)

17.. Had to use the macro lens for this one, I could not read the inscription with bare eyes so when I used the 105mm sigma, I had to put the two rings together to get the complete message captured.
IMG_0654 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

I hope I seem to have made progress, I dont like the "stuck" in the mud feeling - I might get hammered for these images but as much as the couple love their photos, sometimes you need your peers to just tell the truth on what they think.

All suggestions/crit appreciated - your time on this is gratefully received :)

I would have angled this a little better Carl - loose the dead space at the top of the image, to show the complete rings. If that makes sense fella?

Les

Back