No
no1 table lamp draws your attention also blown highlights at the wall light
no2 ok
no3 ok
no 4 coloured balls to much of a distraction
no5 light looks like its coming out of her head

try joining a local camera club and get some pointers about composition
as you have some nice gear just need to master how to use it

Love all your shots Dan! Especially the first 2! Always capturing the moments! Brilliant :D Also your av setup looks fantastic! Had a quick view on av, will take a closer look when I have some time.

Love all your shots Dan! Especially the first 2! Always capturing the moments! Brilliant :D Also your av setup looks fantastic! Had a quick view on av, will take a closer look when I have some time.

Thanks!

Love my 'home cinema' :) watched uhds mad max this afternoon and fifth element tonight.

Home. Cinema is definitely a title it deserves!! And fifth element udh! You're I'm for a treat my friend! Let me know how it was :) bet the kef system made the guitar scenes from mad max sound unbelievable! Amazing sound paired with that amazing picture, defo goals right thr! Hahaha

I think I like the different approach to story telling, Dan!

Vive la différence!

This is a very nice set Dan, capturing the people and their relationships in the environment so well. Should give some good memories.

You have your own style Dan- stick with it- for me these are very acceptable captures :)

Les

no1 table lamp draws your attention also blown highlights at the wall light
no2 ok
no3 ok
no 4 coloured balls to much of a distraction
no5 light looks like its coming out of her head

try joining a local camera club and get some pointers about composition
as you have some nice gear just need to master how to use it

What an obnoxious statement.

Some of these compositions are decent. I'm not so keen on the last two (at least they don't scream "great compositions") but the first four have been clearly thought about.

Last edited:
To my mind, all but No 1 work well and are photos to be proud of. The lamp in 1 distracts too much for me

Thanks for the comments :) just in Venice right now.

What an obnoxious statement.

I now realise what this is about, there is an ignored poster, I can guess who that is as I've only ignored one I think :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments :) just in Venice right now.

I now realise what this is about, there is an ignored poster, I can guess who that is as I've only ignored one I think :)
Ah so there's some history. It's pathetic how low people will stoop to score points.

in my defence i would just say don't post for constuctive critisism if you don't want to hear what people have to say and then spit the dummy
not every one see's things the same
i think some of your shots are ok and some are marmite - i don't like
where ryanboy didn't like your last 2 shots now he seems to know as he gives tuition for a fee boyfalldown didn't like no1 he also offers tuition for a fee
thats just the same 3 i did not like i don't give tuition as I'm just a hobby photographer with 40yr under my belt
where ali manhood liked all your shots
that proves not everyone likes all your shots all of the time just need to live with it
so thats why i suggested you get some tuition so we can like all of your shots maybe the 2 pro's I've mentioned above would give you a forum discount
so please don't shoot the messenger ffs

in my defence i would just say don't post for constuctive critisism if you don't want to hear what people have to say and then spit the dummy
not every one see's things the same
i think some of your shots are ok and some are marmite - i don't like
where ryanboy didn't like your last 2 shots now he seems to know as he gives tuition for a fee boyfalldown didn't like no1 he also offers tuition for a fee
thats just the same 3 i did not like i don't give tuition as I'm just a hobby photographer with 40yr under my belt
where ali manhood liked all your shots
that proves not everyone likes all your shots all of the time just need to live with it
so thats why i suggested you get some tuition so we can like all of your shots maybe the 2 pro's I've mentioned above would give you a forum discount
so please don't shoot the messenger ffs

That I offer tuition is neither relevant, nor, out of respect for the advertising rules, do I choose to mention it here. As far as I recall you are the only member who ever brings it up and I’m not really sure why

so why have a link to your website advertising the tuition or any other of your services !
i would do the same in the hope to get work from it
its called marketing

That I offer tuition is neither relevant, nor, out of respect for the advertising rules, do I choose to mention it here. As far as I recall you are the only member who ever brings it up and I’m not really sure why

Do you think I would find tuition a worthwhile investment?

Just thinking actually how it might be great to go into wedding photography professionally.

Maybe this year can be about investing in myself with training to become a better photographer.

Not sure where to start though.

Last edited:
so why have a link to your website advertising the tuition or any other of your services !
i would do the same in the hope to get work from it
its called marketing

Why are you the only person here who mentions it?

If you can find the right course. I don’t think you need a photography course. (Unless you have specific areas you feel you need to strengthen) But a marketing or business course may serve you well

Just thinking actually how it might be great to go into wedding photography professionally.

Maybe this year can be about investing in myself with training to become a better photographer.

Not sure where to start though.

I don't really know much about wedding photography or the market but I increasingly find myself asking the 'who is it for?' or 'who would buy that?' question of my pics. Maybe doing that would help you improve?

Applying that test to these while acknowledging your distinct style..

#1 (doorway) is lovely, to me that’s very saleable
#2 (clock) Cleverly balanced composition but there’s no obvious subject. It looks like a lot of bored people waiting rather than excited anticipation.
#3 (doorway) – the LHS doesn’t add anything and in fact fights with the guys in the doorway rather than balancing them. Maybe crop?
#4 (baubles) like it a lot. Not sure you’ve got the best expressions / interactions but it does hang together well
#5 (couple) very nice, would be even better if you were a few steps to your left
#6 (piano) nicely balanced but very busy

I'm a big fan of tuition & study. It seems sensible to learn from others’ experience rather than reinventing everything for yourself. You’ve got the technical stuff nailed but I reckon you – like all of us – could do with learning to spot a story more quickly, and get quicker at assessing backgrounds and finding angles which really express what you want without including anything irrelevant. I reckon street photography is the best training for that kind of thing. I can’t remember whether you’ve done much; I found a weekend course very helpful.

The alternative is wedding-specific tuition but that tends to concentrate a lot on directing & posing which may not be to your taste.

I've done a fair bit of street photography, but nothing so recent really. I should get back into it :)

I'm not a wedding photographer either so take my observations with the proverbial pinch of salt :) ...

#1 - I like it, unlike some the first thing I saw was the two boys then I looked into the room.
#2 - Doesn't do much for me, suspect you were trying to show folk waiting in anticipation maybe?
#3 - Agree the LHS detracts and a crop may work well.
#4 - Not sure about this one, bit busy and whilst there is some interaction between the subjects, they don't seem overly engaged (no pun intended btw)
#5 - Nice. Perhaps it could have been better by moving, but it is nice as is.
#6 - I like this, don't find it overly busy but feel it may have been better had you hidden or fully shown the pianist,

Nice consistency between the images in terms of style etc :)

Thanks, comments all giving me thoughts to consider.

I think it would be good to see people's full wedding shoots. People with more skill who aren't making the mistakes I do.

I will be on the lookout

The thing with these images is that if you're the couple and these are all people who are special to you then these are a lovely record of the day, full of little quirks that may show the character of the individuals that you know. To us, detached from those relationships and examining the images with a deliberately critical eye now, there are deficiencies compared to an ideal shot. But weddings don't provide opportunity for ideal shots outside of the posed group photos, so images showing character and interaction will win over 'better' posed but less quirky pictures.

Looks to me like you were faced with some difficult ligthing. One of those ocassions where you are probably in the mind set of 'do I or so I not use flash'. Sometimes flash needs to be used to improve the quality of light even if there is plenty of ambient light. I think that is true here as the ambient light is yuck.

Image wise, there are my thoughts -

1. If the lamp wasn't there, then it would have been fine. At the time I might have been tempted to go lower and use the glass on the sideboard to better effect - and not incuding the lamp. As it stands, crop the lamp.
2. Looks a little under exposed
3. Would have benefited from a longer lens here - people in the foreground add little. Once again crop
4. Get in closer or get longer lens - using DOF to lessen the prominent back of head
5. It's...... OK
6. It's...... OK

In summary, I think you need to work on your PP - especially as you have had to deal with crappy light.

Thanks for posting - and keep up the effort!

Looks to me like you were faced with some difficult ligthing. One of those ocassions where you are probably in the mind set of 'do I or so I not use flash'. Sometimes flash needs to be used to improve the quality of light even if there is plenty of ambient light. I think that is true here as the ambient light is yuck.

Image wise, there are my thoughts -

1. If the lamp wasn't there, then it would have been fine. At the time I might have been tempted to go lower and use the glass on the sideboard to better effect - and not incuding the lamp. As it stands, crop the lamp.
2. Looks a little under exposed
3. Would have benefited from a longer lens here - people in the foreground add little. Once again crop
4. Get in closer or get longer lens - using DOF to lessen the prominent back of head
5. It's...... OK
6. It's...... OK

In summary, I think you need to work on your PP - especially as you have had to deal with crappy light.

Thanks for posting - and keep up the effort!

Thanks,

Do you shoot weddings? do you have a link to your work?

I've been meaning to look how others shoot the day to a high standard - something I can learn from.

Thanks,

Do you shoot weddings? do you have a link to your work?

I've been meaning to look how others shoot the day to a high standard - something I can learn from.

I used to - probably shot around 100 - but no more.

Back