Wedding guest's .. you have to love em

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
The last two weddings i have done , guest's have told me either how easy photography is or how their kit is better than mine ..

First one ... Guest said .. "Why can't they make pro kit smaller .." I have a lumix
and it's better than an slr ... The zoom come right out on it ..Pointing to my 24 - 105 attached to my 5d mk2 with 580ex mk 2 , he said it can take better photo's than that ...

I Just said " Right " .. Well you want to give wedding photography a go then ...

# 2 .. Dj set up for taking his key right photo's and came over to show me his camera

look he said , mine has a bigger screen than your's .. It's the same lens i think , isn't it ... ERRRRR No i said ...

holding about £200 worth of camera and lens He said this cost £800 ... how much was your's .... I didn't answer , as before i had chance he said , i have two of these , i found one on a tip and fixed it for £40 ... Enough said i thought ..

# 3 ... Guest .. i did a wedding the other week for a friend ,, he lent me a really good camera , and i just clicked away ...

God love em .. :LOL:

Rog

The last two weddings i have done , guest's have told me either how easy photography is or how their kit is better than mine ..

First one ... Guest said .. "Why can't they make pro kit smaller .." I have a lumix
and it's better than an slr ... The zoom come right out on it ..Pointing to my 24 - 105 attached to my 5d mk2 with 580ex mk 2 , he said it can take better photo's than that ...

I Just said " Right " .. Well you want to give wedding photography a go then ...

# 2 .. Dj set up for taking his key right photo's and came over to show me his camera

look he said , mine has a bigger screen than your's .. It's the same lens i think , isn't it ... ERRRRR No i said ...

holding about £200 worth of camera and lens He said this cost £800 ... how much was your's .... I didn't answer , as before i had chance he said , i have two of these , i found one on a tip and fixed it for £40 ... Enough said i thought ..

# 3 ... Guest .. i did a wedding the other week for a friend ,, he lent me a really good camera , and i just clicked away ...

God love em .. :LOL:

Rog

Haha, must be funny when they think they know what they're talking about. They'll say anything just to start a conversation with the guy who looks like he knows what he's doing..

Yes but modern compacts are 12 mega pixels and fully auto so takes great shots of my dog, as Jeremy Clarkson says "How hard can it be" :D

It's not about how many megapixels you have, it's what you do with them that counts:)

As with any skill, the real 'experts' are the ones who can get the results while making it look easy.

Unfortunately some mistake this for thinking the job is easy for anyone.

I've not had any of these other than a DJ wanting to get in to the photography business after he finishes Uni.

However, on Sunday I had a renewal of vows to photograph. Only a small event, 26 guests in total and on top of the main room being so small I could of spit across it, so small I considered opening the main doors and shooting from outside because even 24mm was too long, but I couldn't because of the constant showers all day. Oh, and feeling like I was there because its what you do not because they really wanted the photos I had this guy:

argh.jpg

filming everything on his phone. He was everywhere, if I wanted a shot of something he would appear as if from nowhere. Whats more worrying is, he always seemed to want me in the video!

Last edited:
This could turn into an epic thread of what a guest has said or done at a wedding your covering :LOL:

:LOL: ... I did have another 3 years ago .. Father of the Groom , He had wanted to do the photography .. But they said no .. So he was allowed to film it .. He kept leaping in front of the camera saying " what i want you to do now " ..
My wife works with me as help with the guests , just said to me stay calm :LOL: .. I did as always .. you have to don't you ...
He got in touch after they had their album .. He said , i have to say you did a fantastic job , on the day and the album is perfect ... I thought how nice , but i did want to kill him on the day .. :bat: (y)

Did a wedding a couple of years ago for a friend with a 400D,a guest who had a 5D and a 24-105L apparently told the bide that if she found mine were no good he would give her all his.
She told me later she had seen his and they were garbage that proves it aint what you got its what you do with it.

Took this at the last one I did, no idea why......:shrug:

RichardandHelenS226.jpg

staple shot that one :) News guys do it with their TV colleague's cameras all the time too, works well.

Boot on the other foot slightly here, I actually had a wedding photographer tell me it was so simple at my Sisters wedding last year.

As I was standing there waiting to get a couple of shots of them entering the room (away from main photographer) he walked back to me, and asked had I got any good shots of the day. my friendly response was, hopefully one or two, but nothing compared to what you're likely to produce. His response left me astounded.

"Well there's nothing to it really, point the camera, click the button and if it's not perfect then I've always got Photoshop"

:eek:

its scary how many of those "photographers" there are around andrew...there is a person around here charging £150 for a whole days wedding package...and she just uses a point and click and she is incredibly busy. an un-named photographer i worked for also has the above frame of mind, when i started working for him i told him i only shot in raw and usually manual he laughed and said naa just stick it in p mode....i soon left!

My biggest gripe is the camera phones leaning over my shoulder and getting in my way to take a photo, when the bride and groom have spent a fortune on me being there, and they are slowing me down and reducing the shots they get. one woman got so bad last weekend i started taking photos of her instead...she soon got the hint and i had an appology!

The photo of a camera taking a photo is a popular one in my albums to! thats a great shot.

Matt, I can imagine, what made it worse was it wasn't a £150 deal :shake: They paid good money, and although many of the shots are reasonable, that is all they are. A number are very flat, poorly composed and in a few cases include a very nice litter bin, some even come with a free shadow effect or two :LOL:

I reported the story above to our wedding photographer and rightly so, he cringed. Unfortunately it's that attitude that gives "Real" wedding photographers a bad name.

I have to say, one of the photo's in our wedding album is of the camera taking a photo. I think it adds a little to the album of guests enjoying the day. (and in most cases us enjoying the guests being there :D )

Getting back on topic, One wedding I was at last year, the photographer arranged all the group photo's, took it, then offered all guests to step up and take the shot. this did keep them from getting in his way, but again limited the time he had and the shots he took.

I've done events for companies and while i'm supposed to be shooting their employees have come up to me and grilled me on cameras etc.

I'm gonna get a Jessop's name badge and a big sticker saying 'how can I help' one day.

Annoying.

My family were amazed how much I'm paying for my wedding tog. Father in law offered to do it with his compact!
Thanks but no thanks! :nono:

Boot on the other foot slightly here, I actually had a wedding photographer tell me it was so simple at my Sisters wedding last year.

As I was standing there waiting to get a couple of shots of them entering the room (away from main photographer) he walked back to me, and asked had I got any good shots of the day. my friendly response was, hopefully one or two, but nothing compared to what you're likely to produce. His response left me astounded.

"Well there's nothing to it really, point the camera, click the button and if it's not perfect then I've always got Photoshop"

:eek:

Damn, I've been rumbled. :D

Took this at the last one I did, no idea why......:shrug:

RichardandHelenS226.jpg

I like this type of photo, and it can work well if the exposures match.

This photo shows one of the possible problems with the compact shooter for me, unless that person focussed and re-composed (which they may have done), that person in the foreground will have a very nice and sharp head, the person making the speech? :shrug: :LOL:

But you just point the camera, and it if goes wrong, fix it in Photoshop don't you. ;) :LOL:

I think the heart of the problem is that many people just don't know good photography when they see it, or actually don't really care :( Certainly not enough to pay for it.

And of course they're right - it's very easy to produce rubbish.

I think the heart of the problem is that many people just don't know good photography when they see it, or actually don't really care :( Certainly not enough to pay for it.

And of course they're right - it's very easy to produce rubbish.

I will say some people put great importance on photo's some don't .

We did some portraits for a couple and they then asked us to do the wedding , again later portraits , and more recent a member of the family we shot at the wedding had passed away and they asked for copy's of that photo .. I remember going to their home with my wife to take round the wedding album , on the way home my wife said how happy are you seeing photo's all over the house you have taken ... I was because you can see how important they are to that family .. what made it better for me is the fact they live almost 2 hrs away and have photographers in the town they live in . Now hopefully it's because we produce what they are after they come to us ...

I know some people will say HOW MUCH .. a woman who lives just round the corner from me asked much i would charge for a photo , i can get a photo printed for 20p ... why are your more than that ...

I said " does your husband work "
yes why ?
" does he get paid ..
Off course he does ..

That is why mine are more than 20p ... i would like to be paid for working as well ..

She just huffed and tutted ... I'll bet she still goes to boots ... But maybe photo's of quality arn't that important to her ... But i also know she is an expert in everything , from photography to how you should bring up your children ... It should be headed .. the public .. you have to love em (y)

Last edited:
To be honest, I find a lot of guests asking me about cameras at weddings. I always help them out and explain if I have the time or I catch up with them later. Did a wedding in Tuscany and I cleaned the best mans Canon sensor during our dinner break.

Little things like that can do you a world of good.

Damn, I've been rumbled. :D

speaking of rumbles, a month or two ago, Uncle Bob at QH, he had his bridge camera almost lodged on one of our shoulders the entire day, with 'x'fps in full swing too of course. Its the only time I have seriously wanted to tell a guest exactly where to point his lens and trust me, the sun wasn't shining there. :bang:

In all honesty though, they rarely bother me, in fact often give them a few pointers for getting better pictures which they all seem to appreciate no end. (y)

To be honest, I find a lot of guests asking me about cameras at weddings. I always help them out and explain if I have the time or I catch up with them later. Did a wedding in Tuscany and I cleaned the best mans Canon sensor during our dinner break.

Yep , i have also helped out many a guest with battery's and the odd cf card as they forgot their's ... And i will always be willing to offer help or listen to advice on a shot ..
I had one guest say if you are here later the light will change and you will get different shot's .. I dodn't say no ***** sherlock .... i just said oh right thanks ....

Some guest can be helpful , some a royal pain ...
I did a wedding last year and one guset said to another .. " you are taking a lot of photo's arn't you "
his reply was to look at me and say .. " just in case eh"
you let that roll of you back and laugh it off ..

I would like to see what would happen if you walked into their place of work and say .. Your job is easy , i could do it better .. I think some people don't see photography as a proper job .. (y)

Most guests are drunk, thats why they cant take photos :)

Next time they start, walk outside with them. Beat them up, stamp on their silly camera. Then, tidy yourself up, wipe your brow and then say 'hows that for a wedding photographer'

Go back in and do your work. Nobody will beleive what they say because 1. you are a wedding photographer 2. they are drunk 3 you have all the shots of the wedding :)

I do this all the time ...... works for me :)

*** I do not condone this sort of thing. it is for training purpose only. beating people up is never the answer. the above message is a joke. got a problem with this? come see me :) ***

I've done events for companies and while i'm supposed to be shooting their employees have come up to me and grilled me on cameras etc.

I'm gonna get a Jessop's name badge and a big sticker saying 'how can I help' one day.

Annoying.

It's because we are all camera geeks and assume you are too, plus who better to get advice from? As a working professional it's assumed you know best.

It's the same with any other type of expertise. I'm always asked how to fix home pc's, cars etc.

Karma. I'm a big believer in the goodness in people. Do someone a favour and it'll get passed on.

Most guests are drunk, thats why they cant take photos :)

Next time they start, walk outside with them. Beat them up, stamp on their silly camera. Then, tidy yourself up, wipe your brow and then say 'hows that for a wedding photographer'

Go back in and do your work. Nobody will beleive what they say because 1. you are a wedding photographer 2. they are drunk 3 you have all the shots of the wedding :)

I do this all the time ...... works for me :)

*** I do not condone this sort of thing. it is for training purpose only. beating people up is never the answer. the above message is a joke. got a problem with this? come see me :) ***

I`m kinda bonding with you, we are on the same wavelength................:D

I always get freinds going "oh you must bring your kit, in case the photographer doesnt get the shots we want, in case his shots dont come out.....sor forth so fifth" in case we dont fancy paying for prints more like - next one i go to i'm taking a compact only , and keeping it in my pocket except for snaps during the reception.

(actually thinking about it next one i''m at is my sisters and I am the photographer :bonk: )

I was at a wedding yesterday and the photographer is standing at the carriage getting pictures of the bride and groom sitting in it. Two of the (older) guests were standing next to me with their compacts getting a wide shot of the carriage and horses, and one turned to the other and said "I wish she (the photographer) would get out the way, I can't see the bride" I think they saw my face, because a few seconds later she (somewhat sheepishly) said "Oh listen to me! She's only the actual wedding photographer, she's the only one meant to be doing this"

Stofens still throw a little lit forward when pointing directly upwards, although probably not enough to make a real difference.

I've seen wedding photogs using a stofen with their flashes pointing upward OUTDOORS :LOL: :LOL:

M.

And?........:shrug:

Pointing upwards ,outdoors, throws a small amount of light at the subject rather than a full flash giving horrid garish light.

So, in effect, the stofens may be being used correctly.Maybe they know what they are doing after all...............;)

So, it's only me looking at fracster's photo and laughing at the 'Wildlife Northwest' directly under her hands?:D:thinking::exit:

We all know that everyone with a camera can do a better job than the person who does that as a living, surely? ;) Plus, if a tog turns up to a wedding and has been paid for it, you have an absolute right to treat him or her as your own personal sounding board, right? ***, they are paid for their time, so they can spend some with you - YAY. :D

Must be a little like being a doctor and others asking you to diagnose their nasty little fungal infections but without then wanting to leap in and look at the puke inducing toe-nails of the person next to you!

Back