Wedding - images

Edit My Images
Yes
Don't panic, it's not a 'can I shoot one with a point and shoot?' :)

A friend of my daughter is getting married in 2013. Anyway, that prompted me to google wedding photographers. In some adverts, I see 500 to 800 images offered on disc. Is that a normal amount these days? When I got married, I was very happy with 36 in an album. :)

Also, another thought which occured to me was, how should portrait and landscapes be presented in an album or photobook? Lol

Lisa

Thanks Simon, it must be the digital age. :)

Lisa x

I think they call it spray and pray :) Only kidding.
Nah, you're just an oldie like me, back in the day (oh my Lord he's off on one....), seriously just seems to be the modern way, more reportage and less formal, its what the market wants (or has been told that's what it wants, which is good marketing after all).

Matt

I don't think it's a case of being told it's what it wants, people do occasionally look at photos and think that's what i want :/

but aye for me that's a bit excessive even for a full day

Tis true, modern digital age means photographers can now get 'pro' versions of those 'snaps' the family used to get when film photographers only had so many frames of film to play with. So, picture numbers will now number in 100's rather than 10's

As for albums, there is a LOT of flexibility in modern album design, regardless of whether the couple opt for a 'digital' style photobook, or a more traditional style matted album, so accommodating all formats is easy (y)

Thanks for the replies,

Tis true, modern digital age means photographers can now get 'pro' versions of those 'snaps' the family used to get when film photographers only had so many frames of film to play with. So, picture numbers will now number in 100's rather than 10's

As for albums, there is a LOT of flexibility in modern album design, regardless of whether the couple opt for a 'digital' style photobook, or a more traditional style matted album, so accommodating all formats is easy (y)
800 pictures at a wedding, It's the same principal that if you give enough chimps typewriters one of them will eventually write Hamlet :) I would be very wary of a photographer who needed to shoot so many frames to cover a wedding.

Last edited:
We generally deliver between 300 and 500 depending on the length of day and venue.

I would be very wary of a photographer who needed to shoot so many frames to cover a wedding.

I'm going to assume from that you don't have many dealings with the average modern bride then.

250-350 is normal for me to give them.

I do worry about the amount of images some people expect. Even 250 is a hell of a lot of pictures to look through as you will always end up with multiples of the same/similar shots even at that. I think some people have started to lose the fact that it should be a wedding not an excuse for a pseudo photoshoot.

I do worry about the amount of images some people expect. Even 250 is a hell of a lot of pictures to look through as you will always end up with multiples of the same/similar shots even at that. I think some people have started to lose the fact that it should be a wedding not an excuse for a pseudo photoshoot.

that may well be the case, and the 'more is better' thing bugs ne, but rightly or wrongly its the way of the world now

Being brought up in the days of medium format weddings I know where you ate coming from but Maybe the offering of hundreds of shots is because of the flexibility of digital.Wedding togs can take informal grab shots they would never have dreamed of when film was restricted.However I do feel the skills of posing people and groups are being lost in the "machine gunning" world of reportage

175-300 dependent on the duration of the coverage and the photogenic qualities of the venue.

Being brought up in the days of medium format weddings I know where you ate coming from but Maybe the offering of hundreds of shots is because of the flexibility of digital.Wedding togs can take informal grab shots they would never have dreamed of when film was restricted.However I do feel the skills of posing people and groups are being lost in the "machine gunning" world of reportage

This^

It's not just about multiple similar shots either. When I shot MF my typical wedding day was about 3 hours work, now it's typically 10 or 12.

Personally I don't understand how anyone that last saw a wedding photographer work in 1990 can comprehend the different service that we provide today. I don't subscribe to more is better, and I'll never pad out to increase numbers. I'd genuinely rather deliver 50 great shots than 500 so-so ones. But to be honest - I used to deliver a great number of so-so shots on film, quality hasn't necessarily gone down as quantity has gone up.:)

This^

It's not just about multiple similar shots either. When I shot MF my typical wedding day was about 3 hours work, now it's typically 10 or 12.

Personally I don't understand how anyone that last saw a wedding photographer work in 1990 can comprehend the different service that we provide today. I don't subscribe to more is better, and I'll never pad out to increase numbers. I'd genuinely rather deliver 50 great shots than 500 so-so ones. But to be honest - I used to deliver a great number of so-so shots on film, quality hasn't necessarily gone down as quantity has gone up.:)

Where does the 1990 date come from

But what does the modern Bride do with 800 photos ? If they have an album, then typically the 100 best shots are used. Does she then put all 800 onto Facebook etc ? Who has the time or inclination to wade through 800 photos from your friends wedding. That must be almost as boring as having to suffer the old slideshow of your mates holiday. If she wants 800 images then maybe she should be looking for a Videographer.

Where does the 1990 date come from

I guess its just a random selection.

But what does the modern Bride do with 800 photos ? If they have an album, then typically the 100 best shots are used. Does she then put all 800 onto Facebook etc ? Who has the time or inclination to wade through 800 photos from your friends wedding. That must be almost as boring as having to suffer the old slideshow of your mates holiday. If she wants 800 images then maybe she should be looking for a Videographer.

Very few photographers deliver 800 photos. But I guess its up to her what she does with them.

What Hugh said, I 'only' deliver 300-500 images, on a DVD slideshow, which is a product in itself. It tells the story of the day.

The album is an option and a more concise version of the same thing. Two different products with different advantages.

Quality before quantity for me

When I get married I'd probably want an album of superb 30-50 shots, and the rest would be a nice bonus.

I can see how people have different opinions and it is very easy to get carried away with large volumes

I think most brides now expect a few hundred shots with photographers covering a full day, we've moved on from shooting a wedding on 2 rolls of 12 on 120 film. From speaking to my local photographers 500 seems about average now.

I usually provide between 200-300 finished images from a full day and shoot around 600, but then I am a bit old school (compared to talking to some who shoots some 3000) and would rather get it in 1 shot then 20 and throw away 19.

Also I remember Mark Cleghorn saying and displaying that there is only around 40-50 truly unique shots at a wedding,,,
and unless I get the time space to really play with location lighting and the couple that's difficult to prove wrong.

When I booked the photographer for my sisters wedding we got 400-600 photos but we had to pay for the quality and to have the raw photos ( so we could print as large as we wonted) we had to pay a large fee for the privilege but it was well worth it

I'd always go quality over quantity - the way I submit photos to clients is:

Few days after wedding - 'taster' album of a dozen or so belters

In the month after the wedding - order the photobook, containing about 50 shots. Again, all top-end shots, no filler.

Once the book arrives, they get a number of DVDs with the rest on to do with what they will. This can sometimes be 200-300 shots BUT I remove duplicates and do don't any special processing on them beyond the usual.

On the day, it's a mix of covering everything off and keeping the shot rate down to something sensible.

Back