Wedding kit/Lenses

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!

I haven't been on here in aaages. Anyway, I'm covering my sister's wedding at the weekend, and I thought I'd drop by to ask what kit people think I should be bringing with me. What I'd like to cover:

• There'll be a small ceremony on the Blackpool seafront in the wedding chapel.
  • Photos outside immediately after of wedding party (inc. myself).
  • A big meal with I assume 10 or so people at a local restaurant.
  • Ideally photos at the end of the day as the sun sets of the couple
  • Ceilidh/disco
This is the kit I've got, and I've put in bold what I think I ought to take:
  • Nikon D90 + battery grip
  • NEX 3
  • NEX 18-55mm kit lens
  • Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime
  • Nikon 50mm f/1.8 prime
  • SB-600 flashgun (The three below for the sunset photos, I've got gels too to change the warmth of the flash)
  • SB-800 flashgun
  • Flash stands, softbox, umbrella
  • Manfrotto tripod
  • Nikon IR shutter remote
  • Nikon to Sony lens adaptor (with aperture ring)
  • Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens
  • Nikon 70-300mm VR Lens
  • Sigma 150mm Macro f/2.8 lens
  • Studio lighting kit
I'm thinking I can take the NEX to do kit lens duty, but now I've caught myself wondering whether that's a good idea when I'm doing the wedding party photo. I think I ought to bring the NEX along just so I don't spend quite so much time swapping lenses. Also I'm guessing I don't need the 70-300mm or 150mm lenses. I'd quite like to take my studio lighting kit too and get really nice photos of my family while I've got the chance, but that might be pushing it a bit much!

Anyway any suggestions greatfully received, cheers.

Not to sound mean, but I'd tell my sister to hire pro if she wants some photos. She will not hold it against you if something goes wrong and you will remember more than points of autofocus in your viewfinder and weight of all that gear after few...

Disclaimer having never shot a wedding professionally, having only ever taken my camera and a 35 or a 50 prime on full frame to travel light - I think you will find yourself a bit limited with just the bold items. Perhaps take a zoom lens with you for better reach and some versatility.

Have you forgotten lightstands?

Good luck - especially if you're trying to get in some of the photos too as brother to the bride...

Personally I would use the following -

Main equipment - D90, 18-55, 70-300 and SB800
Redundancy equipment - NEX 3 plus 18-55

Having seen the wedding chapel in Blackpool its quite small so you will benefit more from the versatility of the 18-55 than potentially trying to use the 35 and 50mm primes. Plus if you are on the top floor of the chapel and thus have the opportunity to get the B&G at the window with the tower in the background then the 70-300mm will come into play in giving some compression to the view.

It will be a bit of a faff changing lenses but less faff than trying to juggle both systems together plus all the potential accessories that you have listed.

make sure you have plenty batteries (camera and flash) and plenty cards to write to and like I say take your NEX 3 but only as redundancy incase your D90 fails on the day.

I don't know anything about the nex but if you're not proficient I'd keep it simple and use the 35mm which I presume will end up at about 50mm and perhaps the 18-55 on a night for some candids with the flash

Umbrellas in case it rains, for the bride and groom and depending on how weather resistant your kit is maybe some plastic bags and elastic bands for your kit?

I recommend Nikor 35mm 1.4 f- bright, small. I have use Nikon d7100 and this lens for 3 years. Really good and inexpensive choice for begginer photographer.

Last edited:
Back