1. bessie

bessie

Name:
    bessie
    Edit My Images:
    No
    hi im doing a wedding for a friend first official and i have canon 5dmkiii and wondering what would i need in regards flashes and lighting and would umbrellas be needed. if it was a bad day and i had to take most photos indoors. would a flash on the camera be enough or would i need others all help appreciated mostly shoot landscape without flash this is new to me

2. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sounds to me like your best bet is just an on camera speedlight in TTL. If indoors bounce it off the ceiling... if the room is small enough, bounce it off the ceiling behind you. There are a lot more options/possibilities, but now is probably not the time to start learning them (unless this wedding is several months away and you have a lot of motivation/time to practice).

omens and bessie like this.
  3. rjbell

rjbell

Name:
    Robert
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd tell them to book a professional. Photographer is not where they should be trying to cut costs.

omens, bessie and Phil V like this.
  4. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    When is the wedding? It's easy for us to say you shouldn't do it, but you might be adamant.

I agree that you need to practice .. a LOT. I've done some weddings and they can be stressful as F even when things seem to be going well, even when you know your gear inside out. You can't have anything fail on you, you can't be in the corner fumbling with a speedlight because it's not firing and you can't figure out why! Do you have a back up camera and lenses? Are you comfortable using every piece of your gear [besides flash, as you clearly are not], so if there's an issue you can nail it asap?

bessie likes this.
  5. Tysonator

Tysonator

Name:
    Tyson
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you going to be the tog then you should visit the venue weeks in advance and look for areas for back drops, composition scenes etc.
    take a friend or friends and if you are allowed use a on camera speedlite and bounce the flash off ceilings, walls etc to get some idea of the possible out come of the photos.

You can never practice enough.One mistake I did was when I used a stefen defuser on the speedlite I did not up the + / - power on the speedlite to compensate fo the loss in light output,..ddrrr

6. viewfromthenorth

viewfromthenorth

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have a look on local wedding photographers websites and see where they have taken photographs at the venue in question. Also, see if there are any albums at the venue itself, I’ve shot a few local to me and they both had one to look through.

7. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you were shooting in eTTL or equivalent, shouldn't the camera have sorted that out for you, as it's supposed to sense the amount of light the camera receives then shut the flash off once it's had enough? I've never needed to up the +/- comp on the flash purely because of using a diffuser, but then again, I don't use one of those little push-on stofen type ones, but I'd have thought the same would apply if using eTTL or a true equivalent?

To be honest, I think if you were ready to shoot a wedding as the main photographer you would already know what's needed and how to use it. And that's just the 'technical side' of the job! It's a bit like me saying: "I'm going to be a farmer, I have 5 acres and a 5 year old Land Rover and wondering what would I need in regards tractor and trailers and would a combine harvester be needed. I mostly grow flowers and mow the lawn, this new to me."

As I've said on this forum before, my grandmother didn't have any photos of her wedding: She was told that her future sister-in-law was going to take the photos because "Edith has just bought a new camera so it would be silly to pay for a photographer". So Edith did the job of wedding photographer... and not a single photo came out. This incident is still remembered nearly 90 years later! Deliver a load of sub-standard photos of someone's big day (or no photos at all) and I predict you'll probably have at least one friend less afterwards.

I'd tell my friend to hire a pro wedding photographer, and perhaps help her to choose a good one for the job by looking at their portfolio and references and using your knowledge of photography? Then take your camera to the wedding and take some informal 'grab' shots of the guests chatting and enjoying themselves. It would be a great opportunity to learn to use a flash and a diffuser, etc., but without carrying the burden of full responsibility, as your shots would be a bonus, not the be-all and end-all. But if you do, make sure you don't get in the pro photographer's way or try to butt-in on any posed shots they set up. (y)

It might also give you the chance to have a chat with the wedding photographer during one of their quiet times (such as early on during the meal). Who knows, they may be looking for someone to help out on other jobs and you could learn some good skills that way. I find most wedding photographers are nice friendly people and will readily have a quick chat with another keen photographer as long as they aren't busy at the time. Hope this is useful, I don't want to seem negative but the questions you've asked have raised some concerns.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018