Wedding one Lens

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Only just joined and will be attending a lot of weddings as a guest. I am just wanting to get some nice photos every now and again nothing arranged more as if you was a guest.

If you had one Lens what would it be?

I like this already may have opened it up for a nice conversation with points on each recommendation -

I am particularly looking at cannon so what would you recommend -

Also what Flash Camera Mounted (Canon) would you recommend?

Thanks all

Last edited:
I like this already may have opened a it of a nice conversation with points -

I am particularly looking at cannon so what would you recommend -

Also what Flash Camera Mounted (Canon) would you recommend?

Thanks all
Ff or crop?

Yes I have got just my first DSLR - Understand this is a very simple but a good start (I think)

Canon EOS 1200D 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm DC Lens

Apologies.. I answered as if it was myself, didn't realise your were a 'beginner'

The best thing I think you can do is use what you have, if you have that kit listed above, and see how you get on..

If you notice most shots were taken around the same focal length, consider a prime there, if you seem to use the whole range, go for a decent zoom lens..

PhilV's suggestion of a 17-55 2.8IS is an excellent zoom for crops

Last edited:
Sorry Yes I have just looked into it and been watching a very good video - so my Camera is a crop

I am going to enjoy my camera more and see how I get on but thank you very much both for your input.
I will also check out the lens mentioned
Like I said I need to watch more YouTube & guides lol even abbreviations

I am going to enjoy my camera more and see how I get on but thank you very much both for your input.
I'd say this is the right idea.
You also mentioned flashes - it's not made my Canon but I've been really impressed with the Nissin i40. It's very compact and throws out a lot of light. It's also (in my opinion) much quicker and easier to use than the Canon flashes (or as least the 430Ex II and the 580Ex II that I own).

Enjoy using your camera and most importantly enjoy the wedding, you are there as a guest so dont be stuck behind the camera all day long.#.

As said use what you have and if you want to get a better lens or a flash gun decide after. Gear doesn't make the photographer, experience, technique and capturing the moment does.

For prime the Canon 50mm F1.8 II is a cracking lens for the money, on crop sensor it'l give the equivalent focal length of 80mm on FF and with the wide aperture it'll be perfect for portrait shots of the couple.

24-70 2.8 or 35mm sigma art both cracking lenses depends on budget though......

To be honest stick with your kit lens get an external flash nissin are priced well or a use canon will do and then practise and choose another lens latter

If not any of the suggestions above then how about a 70-200f2.8II ISL for candids at a distance.

These are my full-frame preferences:

16-35mm
50mm f1.4
85mm f/1.8

I can (and do) shoot an entire wedding on those three lenses although I also use a 70-200mm f/2.8 as well. :)

I generally have used a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS, as you can get away with some great ambient light shots. However grab a ETTL non canon flash (like this YONGNUO-YN-568EXII) and it will give you a good starting point for cheap. You can then use it in Simple point and shoot fashion, or go manual when you feel ready. Try and angle the flash head to bounce to ceiling or walls to soften it and take spare batteries.

On crop DSLR I have used various lenses. If you wanted one for yourself as a beginner, then the kit lens would be a fine start until you learn the basics. A flash may be a good investment but it depends what kind of shots you want to take. If you want to be more the "stealthy" guest so to speak at these weddings, then fast primes are always good for portait type shots with nice background blur (look up the term Bokeh). The best lens on Canon crop in terms of bang per buck, would arguably be the Canon nifty fifty. This is a light, compact 50mm prime with wide f/1.8 aperture. This becomes a good length for portraits on crop. Read up on "crop factor" as well.
Otherwise if you want just one do it all lens that is a zoom, then the Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS f/2.8 as mentioned already is ace. You could look to cheaper 3rd party lenses like the Tamron and Sigma f2.8 constant zooms, but it depends on your budget.

Is that for sitting on?

It is the longest lens I have. I figured that using a 400mm, I could sit in the car and not get too involved. All said tongue in cheek :)

OP - one lens - one lens only......24-70 F2.8. What ever you'd go for, it would have to be wide enough to deal with groups.

+1 for 24-70 2.8. Versatile lens at 2.8 and wide enough for some group shots.

Get a flashgun first and use what you have 18-55mm will be fine and by checking exif info of your files you will soon find what focal length is best for you :)
If you find yourself needing a bit more focal length the EF85mm f1.8 is a little cracker on a crop sensor camera or a Full frame body that you might want in the future if the photography bug bites you :banana:
Just get out and start taking pictures.:)

Yes I have got just my first DSLR - Understand this is a very simple but a good start (I think)

Canon EOS 1200D 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm DC Lens
this^^^ the op has just spent a couple of hundred quid has stated he is a noob and quotes of £1ooo+ lens are coming in REALLY GUYS

Last edited:
this^^^ the op has just spent a couple of hundred quid has stated he is a noob and quotes of £1ooo+ lens are coming in REALLY GUYS

I don't think they mentioned a price bracket in this thread (unless I missed it).

I don't think they mentioned a price bracket in this thread (unless I missed it).
hi Pradeep it seems you didn't read my post the lens you quoted is no where near the lenses being quoted in some of the posts, my point is he has spent 2-300 hundred pounds on a body and is now being advised to spend 1-1and 1/2 thousand pounds on a lens it makes no sense

Tbf, the OP asked a question, and mentioned no budget.

At the point their understanding became obvious, the serious responses dried up, that's the nature of forums, like it or not.

Because obviously, there isn't a budget single lens anyone would choose to shoot a wedding for a Canon crop camera.

It's a daft concept, thinking about a single lens as a starting point, but understanding the limitations is important, and then building a kit in priority order.

A decent 2.8 zoom, whether a Canon 17-55 or a Tamron or Sigma similar focal length is the obvious choice, but it's never going to be all the things required at a wedding.

hi Pradeep it seems you didn't read my post the lens you quoted is no where near the lenses being quoted in some of the posts, my point is he has spent 2-300 hundred pounds on a body and is now being advised to spend 1-1and 1/2 thousand pounds on a lens it makes no sense

Why is investing in a lens "no sense" if someone is doing wedding photography then they should be investing.

No sense to me is presuming things like what the op meant to ask, everyone has just answered the question as they understood it

Nothing wrong with that imho

Back