Wedding Photographer didn't like me taking photos

Oh by the way, while the professional photographer who is the official wedding photographer, do his/her job...

As long as someone with DSLR and lenses stays out of the photographer's way, I don't see anything wrong with them having a go taking photos to grain experience in wedding photos, after all, today's amateur photographer who is a guest at a family wedding could become tomorrow's professional wedding photograher at other weddings.

No different from say Tim Page who wasn't a photojournalist at that time, and was just trying to travel through Aisa, ended up taking some photos of a civil war in Laos (I think) that later lands him a new job as a photojournalist in VietNam, did any professional photojournalist told him off?

Bit of a tricky one! I can see the tog's point if the op was in the way but if he wasn't then there's not really an argument. I don't own a compact either, it's either the 1DX, 5D or my wife's 60D which all look like large cameras. One thing I do stress though, is I ask permission from the B&G if they would like me to bring my camera, if not, I'm completely happy to leave the gear at home as it's something I then don't have to worry about dropping!
I've been to quite a few weddings with official togs being there and soo far I've had a pat on the back as 2 togs were shooting in Auto, although their cameras were quite old, I give people a chance as it's not always about the gear etc! but on these occasions it was apparent after receiving the official photos that their services weren't actually required (and I believe one of them was the £100 Gumtree job)
Anyway, as long as the B&G enjoyed their day then that's all that counts!

Maybe that's just the general gear he has? When I travel or generally go anywhere the gear I take totals around the 5 grand mark, sometimes it doesn't even leave the camera bag but I always have it with me. If I were going to a wedding or similar event and was taking a camera (for whatever reason) that would be what I took purely because it's just my default gear, nothing whatsoever to do with proving a point to others by having a big posh camera and if others took it that way the problem would be theirs, not mine.

I've shot a couple of weddings only for friends and family, I'm certainly not a wedding photographer by any stretch of the imagination but surely this just comes down to simple 2 way respect? You're there as a guest so you respect the fact the paid guy has a job to do and you stay out of his way (which by the sound of it is exactly what the OP did), and as the paid guy you accept that you're a hired part of someone else's special day and that day is special to more than just the bride and groom. It's special for the guests as well and if they want to record the day they should be left alone to do so.

If a guest is genuinely getting in the way of the pro guy then I don't see anything at all wrong with politely mentioning there are certain shots he needs to get without having any distractions, but to just randomly have a go at a guest who isn't in any way causing a problem is just plain disrespectful and arrogant.

Probably is his general gear, I didn't think anything different, I just wonder why you'd bring it to a wedding. I go to weddings all the time, and I don't even bring a P&S. For several reasons:

1. There's a professional there.

2. I don't want to be *that* guy with the giant camera. (though that's just a personal thing, I'm not holding anyone to my standards in that respect)

And three lenses? It doesn't sound like a situation where he simply only had that gear, it sounds like he made a decision about the best equipment for the task. I just dont see the scenario playing out where he's faced with the dilemma of simply HAVING to photograph the weddings, but *bugger*, he's only got a Canon 5D3 and three lenses! Guess he'll just have to bring them all in his Lowepro camera bag!

My argument here is that there is a professional photographer in the building. They are there to do a job, and if you are there in the sidelines with your giant camera and three lenses, the chances are that sometimes, that camera is going to steal focus and potentially ruin a shot. It's also going to steal the photographer's focus, because he'll always have a second eye on you wondering if you're going to be an idiot. Also, this is one version of events. OP says he wasn't in the way, but apparently, this other gut felt the need to walk a considerable distance to tell him to bac off? Sounds fishy.

The OP is just one person with one experience, the wedding photographer was just one person with probably 50+ experiences of guests with giant cameras acting like the backup shooter and generally ****ing him off.

I've shot 5 weddings in my life, and while I will always remember them as the most inane, mind-numbingly tedious jobs I ever shot, I will also remember the intensity of the responsibility and the pressure I felt to give two people one shot at a great visual memory. I can remember the tension I felt when people pulled out DSLR's during proceedings. You never know what kind of camera person they are.

I mean, Jesus, think about some of the people on this forum - can you imagine them at a wedding? Judging you as you work, questioning you about your gear, describing your technique to other people, remarking on which camera settings you are probably, or should be using, which lens is appropriate.. Ugh, it's enough to irritate me even now.

Not saying the OP was that guy, but he's on this forum, which means there's a chance.

Photographer handled it like a *****, but I don't blame him one bit.

A camera is a camera.

There are no rules that says who should have what camera.

Nobody can tell someone: "A professional photographer must have a Canon this or Nikon that, and you, sir, must have a 'Hello Kitty' compact camera!"

Maybe it is the OP's only camera?

A camera is a camera, you say?

Brilliant. Guess it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to pull out my Hasselblad at the next Christening I go to. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow at all!

Might even set up some lights, too. I mean a light is a light!

Great logic. Bet nobody would feel upstaged if you arrived at the wedding in a Rolls Royce, and the B&G were arriving in a standard Mercedes.

I mean, a dress is a dress, right? Why can't some random guest turn up in a
Caroline Castigliano wedding dress!

This could go on forever. A think isn't just a thing.

There is something in life called 'decorum'.

Last edited:
One thing that would also wind me up in that situation - another tog's flash :)

Hi, As a pro tog I encourage guests to take photos providing they do not affect what I'm trying to do in any way.

That doesn't mean just not getting in my way, but also not grabbing the attention of the people I am doing my best to photograph professionally. After all that is what I have been contracted to do.

The finance side of things doesn't bother me one bit. "Hey!" I've already been paid in full for my services well before the wedding.

If the guests have good cameras that's even better, they might just as well get something half decent. If they don't respect the couples invitation as a guest and help them celebrate their special day then that's nothing to do with me. And on the few occasions that a guest has been causing me a problem I've just given them the stage (so to speak) and they quickly realise what I'm trying to do and strangely enough they seem to get lost without me saying a thing. (Works for me!!!);)

I have to be honest, I feel the pro should have communicated with the couple/guests to lay out guidelines for when they could or couldnt take photo's.

I don't see any issue with a DSLR, compact or camera phone being used at reasonable moments, but I've been at weddings where half the guests are waving iPads about the whole time, something which must drive any pro wedding photographer completely nuts.

I must admit, I've not seen iPads waving about at a wedding but this would make me giggle, almost like a Harry Enfield sketch with people running about holding photo frames up at each other.....

London Headshots said:
A camera is a camera, you say?

Brilliant. Guess it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to pull out my Hasselblad at the next Christening I go to. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow at all!

Might even set up some lights, too. I mean a light is a light!

Great logic. Bet nobody would feel upstaged if you arrived at the wedding in a Rolls Royce, and the B&G were arriving in a standard Mercedes.

I mean, a dress is a dress, right? Why can't some random guest turn up in a
Caroline Castigliano wedding dress!

This could go on forever. A think isn't just a thing.

There is something in life called 'decorum'.

With respect I think those examples are way over the top. We're talking about wedding guests taking photos here, nothing more, nothing less. If a guest happens to have a DSLR rather than a point and shoot then so what? Are we now telling people what kind of cameras they can and can't use? I'll be honest, if anyone walked up to me while using a DSLR and told me I should have a point and shoot instead they'd very, very quickly be told to do one. And in no uncertain terms.

As much as there's a thing called decorum there's also such a thing as minding one's own business. In this case as photography is very much the paid photographer's business I think that's exactly what he should have been minding rather than having a go at guests who weren't getting in his way in the first place.

They're supposed to be over the top, you've never seen hyperbole used to illustrate the illogic of another point?

We see this differently. Let's not get in a 40 page TalkPhotography bicker-fest that will, as always, end in another 40 page discussion of the dictionary definition of some word one of us used.

Last edited:
London Headshots said:
They're supposed to be over the top, you've never seen hyperbole used to illustrate the illogic of another point?

Yes I have and I'm perfectly familiar with the concept of doing so but in this case they did nothing to validate your point. In my view, naturally.

London Headshots said:

Yes I have and I'm perfectly familiar with the concept but in this case it did nothing to validate your point. In my humble view, of course.

i went to a wedding once where the tog had problems with all his photos oversaturating. He ended up asking everyone to stop taking photos and allow him to try and work out what was wrong. Turns out some silly bint had put a large flashgun on her camera then discovered it was on external flash (the one that triggers when it detects a flash) seems she had been overexposing all the photos.

for this reason i think some wedding togs have all rights to complain when people are ruining their photos

higgeh said:
for this reason i think some wedding togs have all rights to complain when people are ruining their photos

If the pro guy's photos are being ruined then of course he has a right to say something; that goes without saying, but that wasn't the case here!

If the pro guy's photos are being ruined then of course he has a right to say something; that goes without saying, but that wasn't the case here!

How do you know that the pictures arnt ruined by some people looking at the pro and others looking at the family member wiht the pro camera taking pics.. because they know him..

KIPAX said:
How do you know that the pictures arnt ruined by some people looking at the pro and others looking at the family member wiht the pro camera taking pics.. because they know him..

Well the OP clearly said he wasn't doing anything that would in any way intrude on what he was doing so I'm going on the info given rather than making assumptions.

Well the OP clearly said he wasn't doing anything that would in any way intrude .

This.... The pro photogrpaher has a lot more to do on a wedding day than to look for people with cameras and ask them to stop for no apparent reason....

The OP has already shown a complete lack of understanding regarding the work of a wedding photogrpaher ..so .. eerm :)

Of course there's always another perspective, the pro may simply have been insecure about the possibility of being outclassed by a mere amateur.

Not saying that's the case but it is a possibility.

Of course there's always another perspective, the pro may simply have been insecure about the possibility of being outclassed by a mere amateur.

Not saying that's the case but it is a possibility.

yeagh thats probably it...

God I really do love wedding threads :) <------ thats a real smile

Whilst I agree that the pro should be able to shoot unhindered, without people getting in the way, isn't it up to him/her to control the situation regarding the subject matter, more particularly to make sure that the bride and groom are paying attention, looking at the pro rather than around the church/room?
At all times the pro should be in the best position possible in order to maximise the chance of great shots. This would obviously include "line of sight", where no "gurners", Ipad wavers or unwanted "props" encroach into the scene.
Surely for a good pro, "uncle Bobs" are irrelevant, as are "big" cameras with huge lenses.
It must be a bit like sport, where you are concentrating so hard on your own game, that everything else is blanked out.

It must be a bit like sport, where you are concentrating so hard on your own game, that everything else is blanked out.

Exactly.. thats why I dont understand the theory that the pro tog is seeking out uncle bob for no apparent reason other than he has a camera..it just doesnt hold water.. somehting must be happening..

I also agree wiht the rest of your post ...But...uncle bob on this occasion is a member of the family and I would say no matter how in control the pro is.. people will put the member of the family first..

As others have said.. we wernt there.. but uncle bob is an age old problem for a reason :)

Whilst I agree that the pro should be able to shoot unhindered, without people getting in the way, isn't it up to him/her to control the situation regarding the subject matter, more particularly to make sure that the bride and groom are paying attention, looking at the pro rather than around the church/room?
At all times the pro should be in the best position possible in order to maximise the chance of great shots. This would obviously include "line of sight", where no "gurners", Ipad wavers or unwanted "props" encroach into the scene.
Surely for a good pro, "uncle Bobs" are irrelevant, as are "big" cameras with huge lenses.

Have a read of what you wrote - from the pro's perspective.

Isn't that exactly what he was doing. Taking control of the situation to ensure he got the best shots possible. Now it might not be what you think he should have done, or how I would have handled it. But you can't really say he wasn't looking after his primary aim - to get good clean shots.

BTW I'd be interested to hear how you'd suggest a pro somehow avoids worst case scenario, with an aisle full of 'photographers' with iPads leaning into the shot. Levitation? Crane hire? Steps? Kicking the guests? After all it's up to him to handle it?

The short answer is that it's a fine line between 'taking control' and making it all about the photo's.

I can't imagine I would ever have to approach a guest to ask them to stop taking pictures - but I'm not about to rule it out - I've heard stories of 'Uncle Bobs' taking over proceedings, shouting instructions, purposefully blocking the pro, and other things we'd all agree as unreasonable.

I can't imagine I would ever have to approach a guest to ask them to stop taking pictures - but I'm not about to rule it out - I've heard stories of 'Uncle Bobs' taking over proceedings, shouting instructions, purposefully blocking the pro, and other things we'd all agree as unreasonable.

Reminding someone they are a guest is not a professional way to phrase it though. It comes down to individuals though and d*cks are everywhere.

This.... The pro photogrpaher has a lot more to do on a wedding day than to look for people with cameras and ask them to stop for no apparent reason....

The OP has already shown a complete lack of understanding regarding the work of a wedding photogrpaher ..so .. eerm :)

Hope thats not the case, the OP is a professional wedding photographer

God I really do love wedding threads :) <------ thats a real smile

Really ??? Cos I'm beginning to despair at them - every bleeding one ends up with one or both sides misunderstanding the other and ranting at each other :(

Chill guys :D

Weddings are fun, shooting them is more fun, being paid to shoot them is THE most fun, having to put up with the odd silly bugger is just funny - but still fun :)

Dave

A professional would normally have a chat to the people doing the ceremony before hand, be it a civil ceremony or a full blown church job. Whoever carries it out, normally does make mention of the professional in the building and for the guests to not take pictures. At least on the last 3/4 weddings i've been to this year as a guest they have anyway.

Its also down to the wedding party to inform the pro that there might be a keen relative wanting to shoot on the day.

Its then down to the pro to have a quick word, generally along the lines of "hey, why don't you try take some candid shots while i get the ones that are paying my wages".

It all comes down to common sense really doesn't it and we all know there are plenty out there without any :)

Last edited:
Hope thats not the case, the OP is a professional wedding photographer

Well, here's a turn up!
The OP has a website certainly, and he's advertising wedding photography, but so far no portfolio showing wedding pics:thinking:.

Just shooting hoops, but how important were these pictures to the OP?

Could it be that the OP was at his cousins wedding with a full set of Pro gear desperate to get some fab shots for his portfolio? - If he was desperate to get some shots it's easy to see how his behaviour might have been enough of an imposition to p155 off any pro. </columbo>

Food for thought?

if the client wants great shots of the father and bride walking down the aisle, for example, and all he gets is arms reaching out holding iPhones, then I fail to see why he shouldn't have explained this to the clients before hand, and imposed some rules.

How do you work around an irritation like that?

I don't shoot weddings, so maybe I'm talking crap here, but common sense would seem to dictate you can't hire someone to do a job, then criticise them when everything about that job makes it impossible to get what the client wants... nor when the photographer tries to claw back some control over the chaos.

But where have we got this scenario?

I've re-read the O/P and I don't see that ... I don't see information about hoards of people waving iPads about in the aisle, nor do I see any comments about flashes being fired.

All of a sudden we've got all sorts of 'allegations' being made about the O/P from standing in the way of the official photographer to now him using the opportunity to fill his portfolio!
Come on people get a grip!

Every wedding had people taking their own momento photos, if you can't deal with that in a way that doesn't upset the guests then you are in the wrong job.

Have a read of what you wrote - from the pro's perspective.

Isn't that exactly what he was doing. Taking control of the situation to ensure he got the best shots possible. Now it might not be what you think he should have done, or how I would have handled it. But you can't really say he wasn't looking after his primary aim - to get good clean shots.

BTW I'd be interested to hear how you'd suggest a pro somehow avoids worst case scenario, with an aisle full of 'photographers' with iPads leaning into the shot. Levitation? Crane hire? Steps? Kicking the guests? After all it's up to him to handle it?

The short answer is that it's a fine line between 'taking control' and making it all about the photo's.

Get in a better position? Be more aware of their surroundings? Make an educated guess that every wedding there's ever been people's heads and arms will be leaning out down the aisle?

If a pro can't work that out or hold peoples attention for 1/500th of a second then maybe it's not the right career for you.

I'm an amateur and only ever take a P&S to a wedding. I'm there as a guest and the only reason for taking a camera is to get some personal memories without worrying about anything else. I don't really understand why a guest would want to take their full SLR kit...what are they trying to achieve? You are there as a guest and to enjoy yourself.

Of course the size of Uncle Bob's camera makes a difference. If I set up a large format camera and got under the cloak, I'm certain more people would be looking at me than the pro.

I have the utmost respect for wedding photographers....seems to me that clients expectations in terms of deliverables are increasing, while at the same time expectations of cost reducing. Must be a tough industry to be in.

I don't have a P&S, (and if I did I wouldn't use that for my wedding momentos), I use a DSLR - so if I went to a wedding intending to take photos ... which I am sure I would if like the O/P I had travelled to the US to see relatives and attend the wedding there ... I would take my DSLR.

Dunno. I just had to edit 6 videographers out of a set of wedding pics.

One had a steadicam so at key points he was running around the B&G. Another had a D4 for no obvious reason. Don't get me started on the slide rail during signing the register.

They did say I should let them know if they were in the way but I was kind of busy.

Can't remember ever asking a guest not to take pics though*. Sometimes I've borrowed their camera and taken a couple for them to move things along.

-------
* actually once a guest got me banned from taking pics. Reg told us not to, he carried on and I got the blame.....

Of course the size of Uncle Bob's camera makes a difference. If I set up a large format camera and got under the cloak, I'm certain more people would be looking at me than the pro.

haha I burst out laughing at this description. Brilliant.

Back