wedding photography

Watersedge

Suspended / Banned
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to start out as a wedding photographer and Im just after any advise on getting my first job or as an assistant photographer, Have a look at my website guysand see what you think. www.digital-art-photography.co.uk
Any honest feedback would be appreciated please

Welcome to TP :wave:

I've had a look at your website and to be honest it's not very inspiring for want of a better phrase it's boring, it's not very dynamic and just doesn't draw you in to want to stay and look around :shrug:

I'm not going to even try and say if there were any errors in spelling or grammar as my own is woeful :LOL:

Also in your gallery of wedding images I'd trim the numbers down a little to only your best images from the days as there are some images in there that are not really very good :( some very over exposed, some under exposed and some with white balance issues

Matt
MWHCVT

Welcome to TP :wave:

I've had a look at your website and to be honest it's not very inspiring for want of a better phrase it's boring, it's not very dynamic and just doesn't draw you in to want to stay and look around :shrug:

I'm not going to even try and say if there were any errors in spelling or grammar as my own is woeful :LOL:

Also in your gallery of wedding images I'd trim the numbers down a little to only your best images from the days as there are some images in there that are not really very good :( some very over exposed, some under exposed and some with white balance issues

Matt
MWHCVT

what would you suggest I put to inspire *** to look at my web site then?
ok some images may be over or under exposed but i even see some pro photographers making these silly mistakes

what would you suggest I put to inspire *** to look at my web site then?
ok some images may be over or under exposed but i even see some pro photographers making these silly mistakes

Yes even some pro's make silly mistakes in fact they all do but on those few shot's that they do make those mistakes they end up in the trash/rejects folder not on there website as part of there portfolio :shrug:

As to the website it's more the layout, and design that I don't like it just doesn't look good :(

Matt

Yes even some pro's make silly mistakes in fact they all do but on those few shot's that they do make those mistakes they end up in the trash/rejects folder not on there website as part of there portfolio :shrug:

As to the website it's more the layout, and design that I don't like it just doesn't look good :(

Matt

what do you mean design...have you a web site. I thought the design looked clean and easy to understand

Ian, do not become defensive. People will help, they have years of experience. Take heed and walk slowly with them - do not try and run.

what do you mean design...have you a web site. I thought the design looked clean and easy to understand

No I don't have a website, I don't need one, it is easy to understand, I'm not so sure about clean though, but needless to say a website also has to have that x factor that keeps the viewer on that site rather thinking okay seen that and then heading back to google to have a look for others :thinking: and personally I don't think that your website has that

One of the things that you really do need is a house style, where by you pick a font and stick to it, font size/colour, a standardised page layout wouldn't go a miss either

Also all the photo's are really small, your a photographer trying to sell photographic services, you should be showing of photo's in full glory

Check out this website of Nick a member on here (y) see how it has a nice clean flowing design, big photo's over all more attractive and enticing.

http://www.boundlessphotos.co.uk/

Consider this you don't really need to appeal to the groom, your main target with your website is the bride (y) at least usually.

Matt

No I don't have a website, I don't need one, it is easy to understand, I'm not so sure about clean though, but needless to say a website also has to have that x factor that keeps the viewer on that site rather thinking okay seen that and then heading back to google to have a look for others :thinking: and personally I don't think that your website has that

One of the things that you really do need is a house style, where by you pick a font and stick to it, font size/colour, a standardised page layout wouldn't go a miss either

Also all the photo's are really small, your a photographer trying to sell photographic services, you should be showing of photo's in full glory

Check out this website of Nick a member on here (y) see how it has a nice clean flowing design, big photo's over all more attractive and enticing.

http://www.boundlessphotos.co.uk/

Consider this you don't really need to appeal to the groom, your main target with your website is the bride (y) at least usually.

Matt

Im not defensive and your comments are appreciated. maybe I should just have a photo on the home page without any wording....and keep the sub page to the minimum.
How do you suggest I be honest about my skills without putting off clients.
the web sit link you sent gives me more inspiration

Im not defensive and your comments are appreciated. maybe I should just have a photo on the home page without any wording....and keep the sub page to the minimum.

I have say that is a difficult one, I'd personally be suggesting that you concentrate on you, play on your passion for portraiture, and how you value the importance of your role within the happy couples big day (y) but truthfully I'm not totally sure how you get around your predicament, I think that you need to find an experience wedding photographer and do some second shooting with them (y) though you may have to travel a little to get the opportunity (y)

Matt

I've replied to this on your other thread but to briefly recap if you are honest and objective about your skills are you really ready to be selling your services as a wedding photographer ?

By your account you've done a workshop and assisted on one wedding, and have never done a live one - theres no way you can say that honestly without putting clients off, because IMO you simply arent ready yet

You need to either do a bunch as a second shooter, or do some free for freinds and family before you even think about selling your services - ypou also need to improve your photographic skills because exposure and focus are all over the place on the images you have on your site

Your website also mentions lifestyle portraits and product/commercial photography. How is your experience in these feilds ?

If you do have actual experience I'd say focus the website on them , and don't mention weddings until you are ready

If you dont have any experience of them either then you need to have a long hard think about what the website is for - I'd suggest either taking it down or turning it into a hobby site until you have sufficient experience (and pictures) behind you to make a realistic attempt to sell your services

Last edited:

You don't. Reality is that your present skill level is not something that should be offered to clients. Yes build a website and change and add better images and you will get to a point where your skills could commend a fee.

Even low end clients should not be treated as idiots that will accept any *****.

Mike

I saw a posting on Gumtree a few months ago.

It basically said.. "Please help me to build my portfolio and achieve my dream of being a wedding photographer by allowing me to shoot your wedding free !"

There was a link to the guys (he was a student at uni I believe) website which explained all, gave examples of his work to date etc.

I cant tell you if it worked, but if I'd been getting married and had no money for a photographer then I'd have given him the chance.. knowing that it wasn't going to cost me anything and I *might* just get some good images.

My guess is that he got lots of takers, built his portfolio and experience and is now trading.

Cant remember his name.. it was Yervant or something..

OK.. the last bit was made up !

I saw a posting on Gumtree a few months ago.

It basically said.. "Please help me to build my portfolio and achieve my dream of being a wedding photographer by allowing me to shoot your wedding free !"

There was a link to the guys (he was a student at uni I believe) website which explained all, gave examples of his work to date etc.

I cant tell you if it worked, but if I'd been getting married and had no money for a photographer then I'd have given him the chance.. knowing that it wasn't going to cost me anything and I *might* just get some good images.

My guess is that he got lots of takers, built his portfolio and experience and is now trading.

Cant remember his name.. it was Yervant or something..

OK.. the last bit was made up !

That is a decent proposal (y) I can see that some on here will not like that idea but to me it's a decent suggestion (y)

Matt

That is a decent proposal (y) I can see that some on here will not like that idea but to me it's a decent suggestion (y)

Matt

We've had this discussion before Matt; Someone shooting weddings for free to build a portflio wont hurt the business of established pro's by any measurable amount.:)

However a photographer pretending to be brilliant and offering the moon for a pittance hurts us all in many ways.:shake:
It lowers the price customers think is appropriate
It lowers the 'acceptable standard' customers look for.
It raises the chance that customers will end up disappointed, so customers trust us all less.

Not aimed at the OP:)
Weve given him a hard enough time this week - and it looks like he's taking it all on board(y)

We've had this discussion before Matt; Someone shooting weddings for free to build a portflio wont hurt the business of established pro's by any measurable amount.:)

However a photographer pretending to be brilliant and offering the moon for a pittance hurts us all in many ways.:shake:
It lowers the price customers think is appropriate
It lowers the 'acceptable standard' customers look for.
It raises the chance that customers will end up disappointed, so customers trust us all less.

Not aimed at the OP:)
Weve given him a hard enough time this week - and it looks like he's taking it all on board(y)

Don't need to convert me on that PoV Phil (y)

In answer to your original question Ian - with honesty & recommendations

I'm in a similar position & am upfront on my site, on Faceache, in meetings, on the phone - my level of experience doesn't deter people, feel free to have a nosey at my site if you want

Last edited:
I think Watersedge may have typed w.a.t.s and just missed the "h" out which meant that the filter would have picked it up as text speak and starred it out

Last edited:
good website. interesting way of interducing herself as a newbie for wedding photography etc

Is this website yours as well ian? The text on the front end looks similar :shrug:

Is this website yours as well ian? The text on the front end looks similar :shrug:

mines www.digital-art-photography.co.uk

i need to re-word it so prospective clients understand im a newbi

Both sites look the same to me (same text different template)

Advice

Take a step back and think about this..

Commercial photography..
Do you even know what it is? do you have the skills, the studio, the gear, the contacts?

Wedding photography
99.9% of my clients come to me because they like my work, my style. DO NOT say you will sit down with the couple and discuss what style they want. They need to be booking you, because they saw your work, and they love it. Shooting style then becomes the reason they booked you instead of a question you ask them..

DO NOT offer a free engagement shoot in this context, it just sows further seeds of doubt

About page
Don't say it is a challenge. It needs to be effortless, people are paying you to be a professional. I am not saying don't be challenged, I am saying that you need to know you can 200% do the job, and you need to convey that too

Don't say things are from workshops, that inspires no confidence. If you cant put a honest portfolio of work out, then your are not ready yet.

You really need to get out there and second shoot with someone for a season or so, and when they say you are ready, start shooting your own

its hard to get to be a second shooter. ill restyle my website and word it reduce the images to mybest...i could try and do some freeshoots

I am really confused Ian, your opening thread states that you are trying to start out as a wedding photographer yet on your site you state that " We can supply one or two photographers by the hour or design a custom package unique to you. " So if someone contacts you and says they have been let down or it is a last minute decision, they want their wedding covered this weekend, are you really in a position to cover it?

ill reword it

In other words no then :shrug: I am just trying to understand if you are the Photographer or what here. Is it your business somebody else`s or a joint venture?

Last edited:
*** u mean no no to ***

The question I originaly asked was " So if someone contacts you and says they have been let down or it is a last minute decision, they want their wedding covered this weekend, are you really in a position to cover it? "

And you replied with " I will reword it " Hardly an an answer really is it? As mentioned you do need to take a step back on this. Reading your comments on here and the blog you have up on your site, almost makes me believe it is two different people.

i meant ill reword website to explain im new at this to get my experience up

my head is begining to hurt now

my advice - turn the website off (or totally redesign it into a hobby site) and forget about being a proffesional photographer until you are ready to be one, in the meantime do some free shoots etc as already discussed to get your experience and portfolio up , but you don't need the website up to do that, and you certainly don't need to pretend to be something you arent

I mean you wrote on aniother thread today

guys. can you give me some constructive advice on what you think of these photos. bear i. mind its the first time i used a dslr

If you've only just started out and have only occasionally used a DSLR you are not even ready to be doing free 'proffesional' shoots , you ought to be learning to use your camera properly before you even consider covering weddings, or doing any other sort of proffesional photography.

(oh and by the way stop writing in text speak - the forum stars it out and makes it look like you are swearing.)

Last edited:
Ian, sounds like you need to go away, get a few years experience in a) photography b) weddings and c) using the internet.

You've blatantly come onto this forum boasting skills you don't have, lying about this that and the other and stealing people’s intros from other websites.

I'm still of the mind that this is just some great big elaborate hoax from a bitter ex forum member.

i havnt nicked anyones intros...all advise taken on board ill get some experience behind me before i sell my experience

Back