Beginner Wedding Reception

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

The missus has been given a sudden invite to a Wedding Reception tonight in an old country house & she has asked me to take my camera along. I was wondering what would be good as an idea of rough settings to use with my ttl speedlite & also which of my lenses would be best to use out of the 18-55, 55-250, Nifty Fifty. Even tho the newly weds already have a main photographer taking pictures, my partner suggested that I take my camera along as a chance to improve on my picture taking, which in itself I feel quite honoured as normally my partner really doesn't like to be in front of the lens.

Many Thanks

Taking pictures of what exactly? If the happy couple since you mention they already have a photographer what I would say is make sure you don't get in the way of the paid photographer especially on the first dance as they will likely have flash set up etc...

But if your just thinking of photos of you and your partner I'd say 18-55 it gives you flexibility, though honestly I never take my camera to events like this, your a guest so just go an enjoy the day, at least that is my mentality as if your taking your camera you've got to also look after it when not taking photo, and you never fully relax but that's maybe just me...

By the time we will get there, the paid photographer would have already been gone, but my partner just wants a few shots taken of her, the bride, brides family etc.

By the time we will get there, the paid photographer would have already been gone, but my partner just wants a few shots taken of her, the bride, brides family etc.

Then yep the 18-55 and flashgun is going to be the way to go ideally bouncing it off the ceiling

Be interested to hear how you get on.... got a similar situation coming soon: please keep us posted.

Hi Geoff, I went to the reception yesterday & took around 40 pictures with different apertures, different shutter speeds & I even managed to use all of my lenses. Now as they already had a professional photographer at the event, I thought I would wait until she had taken the photographs to remain respectable to a pro at work, and then suddenly the DJ announced that everyone should get out their cameras & get trigger happy, so the only thing I did do is watch positioning of the pro & others with similar cameras, before I started.

As for the results they were a bit hit and miss with the metering & attempting to read the histrogram of a picture just taken while they are cutting the cake, was a bit tricky, so it was guess work to get it as best as I could, but I did get some half decent results. I will get a request put into the newly weds as I didn't get chance to speak to them much last night & get permission to put the pictures onto my Flickr account for people to see on here, so please bare with me on that one.

I will confess that this was the second time I had taken my camera to a reception, the first time was last November when I had only had the camera a couple of months and had no idea what I was doing, I also got cocky with the settings and attempted the likes of second curtain which I ended up with some really bad results, so that will teach me to run before I could walk. :oops: :$

Anyhow I will post back on this thread, once I get permission or denied. Even tho I am only doing this as a hobby, I would like the newlyweds permission before I start showing pictures of their private day on a public forum. :)

No worries John, sounds like you had a busy time of it :) I'm only starting off myself even though been taking 'snapshots' for decades!

to my untrained eye John, they looking good and sharp..... seems the nifty fifty came in handy!

Thanks Geoff, I have sent the same link to a professional I know as he is able to point out mistakes within seconds, so will be interesting to what he has to say as well, but then I am just a beginner hobbyist, so mistakes can be & will be made. I am just having fun using it :). Yes the nifty fifty is becoming quite a bit of a gem to use, like my other glass, I have to get used to using it in different surroundings. :)

Back