Wedding Togs....

Edit My Images
Yes
I HATE group shots. There, I said it. Every blinkin' wedding the bride has a list of 60 shots they want taken. I am always amused at the suprised realisation that appears on their faces when I point out that even if we got everyone together, posed and smiling within 60 seconds we'll still be there for an hour before we've finished.

Group shots appear to always involve at least one from each of the groups below;

1. Grandparent with mobility issues that takes twenty minutes to get in position.

2. Shy / Annoying middle aged female who tries to hide behind someone else and looks all grumpy when asked to move.

3. Comedy Uncle - Oh, you pulled a funny face - how hilarious!

4. The blinkers - 'nuff said.

5. the Stinkers - Always the ones on the the end of a group shot that stand three paces away from everyone else - presumably so that their personal hygeine issues do not come into play.

There is always a dustbin / fire extinguisher / tramp in the background that you just can't avoid so needs to be removed in PP.

Someone is always missing through out the photo's then turns up at the end, drink in hand, moaning that they want a snap with the bride.

And why, oh why do I always end up climbing on something? :shrug: For todays group shot I found myself sat on a lead roof which was at roughly 2000 degrees C, half way up a fire escape outside a hotel. Not easy in a suit!

AND I hate edditing the bloomin' things. Its like comparing paint samples - after 15 minutes they all look the same and you find it hard to care if its Warm Tangerine or Marbella Peach your looking at.

BUT I will continue to smile, give direction to the rabble and record these boring, staged, clinical moments to give the bride something to worry about for the months running up to the wedding.

So to my question - Wedding togs - whats the worst bit of the day? What bit of the wedding makes you want to hide in the car eating biscuits?

Discuss.......:D

I HATE group shots. There, I said it. Every blinkin' wedding the bride has a list of 60 shots they want taken. I am always amused at the suprised realisation that appears on their faces when I point out that even if we got everyone together, posed and smiling within 60 seconds we'll still be there for an hour before we've finished.

Group shots appear to always involve at least one from each of the groups below;

1. Grandparent with mobility issues that takes twenty minutes to get in position.

2. Shy / Annoying middle aged female who tries to hide behind someone else and looks all grumpy when asked to move.

3. Comedy Uncle - Oh, you pulled a funny face - how hilarious!

4. The blinkers - 'nuff said.

5. the Stinkers - Always the ones on the the end of a group shot that stand three paces away from everyone else - presumably so that their personal hygeine issues do not come into play.

There is always a dustbin / fire extinguisher / tramp in the background that you just can't avoid so needs to be removed in PP.

Someone is always missing through out the photo's then turns up at the end, drink in hand, moaning that they want a snap with the bride.

And why, oh why do I always end up climbing on something? :shrug: For todays group shot I found myself sat on a lead roof which was at roughly 2000 degrees C, half way up a fire escape outside a hotel. Not easy in a suit!

AND I hate edditing the bloomin' things. Its like comparing paint samples - after 15 minutes they all look the same and you find it hard to care if its Warm Tangerine or Marbella Peach your looking at.

BUT I will continue to smile, give direction to the rabble and record these boring, staged, clinical moments to give the bride something to worry about for the months running up to the wedding.

...and what else do you put in your Wedding Photography Service brochure...? ;)

These shots are a PIA, but discuss before hand and have a limit.

...and what else do you put in your Wedding Photography Service brochure...? ;)

Something about not inviting the brides mother to the wedding, only getting married in light airy churchs or hotels.......

......Oh, and please ensure it doesn't rain :LOL:

Last edited:
How about the "my auntie A won't be in a photo with my mum and my Uncle B won't be in a photo with my cousin C so I need a shot with A and C, C and B and urm B and .... Are sod it I've lost track of all this already....just invite people that talk to each other for god sake :bang:

Matt

How about the "my auntie A won't be in a photo with my mum and my Uncle B won't be in a photo with my cousin C so I need a shot with A and C, C and B and urm B and .... Are sod it I've lost track of all this already....just invite people that talk to each other for god sake :bang:

Matt

EXACTLY what prompted this thread. :LOL:

The table plan was a work of art - family were strategically placed so they didn't even need to use the same toilets. Apparantly is all stemmed back to an arguement over a parking space at a previous wedding.....

In 1976!!!!

5 years before I was born. Where is the love as the Black Eyed Peas would say.....

I am not a fan of posed photos myself, but always start with the group shot then take the pita ones first so they can go to the bar :)

Also started asking before hand about family issues so I know what to expect on the day.

Roll with it..... try shooting a wedding that had spaces at 4 tables for dead people...................Yep dead people.... Buried or burnt and scattered but they still had a place to in groups and empty seats at tables......

That was only the beginning of that wedding.... It had more bizarre and weird stuff later in the day...............

I always get nutters or Vegiterians!

How good of you to honour these ungratefull brides with your'e presence, how dare they have the temerity to ask for the shots that they are paying for rather than the artistic work of genius that you of course provide.And of course if you had your way then there would be non of those irritating guests there to stultify your artistic creativity

Where is the love as the Black Eyed Peas would say.....

I 'may' :whistle: have mentioned this 'once or twice' before - but i did a wedding as a second tog a few years ago which deteriorated into a brawl midway through the best mans speech - basically the best man mentioned in 'jest' that the bride might have been a bit easy in her younger days - the brides father grabbed him by the neck and started shouting threats, groom and ushers tried to break it up, someone threw a punch and it all kicked off between the families

i'm not sure exactly what happened next because ben (first tog) and I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and together with most of the serving staff took cover in the lobby - when the police arrived we dedcided our presence was no longer required and made tracks.

ben still got paid for the wedding photos even though the portfolio did stop rather abruptly with a few reception shots.

there was also the other wedding where we inadvertently included a shot of one of the grooms mates snogging the brides step mother (who wasnt much older than the bride and about 25 years younger than the brides father) in the reception candids - hum and indeed ho. :LOL:

Last edited:
On three separate weddings, the groom has had a bit too much to drink by the evening and has decided to try and chat up/grope/snog my missus (who happens to be my assistant)! :bang:

There's nowt as queer as folk eh! :wacky:

Cheers,
Si

Groups can be easy depending on how you approach them.

Main bridal party then adding on family until all friends are in the shot. Take away family then you have a shot with friends with bride and groom only. Let them all go then you can do small and arty B&G shots after. A small step ladder kept in your car boot helps from time to time.

The bit "I hate" is trying to beat the bride to the church/registry office from her house, especially when there's nowhere to park :bang: then getting Groom with Best man before she arrives :nuts:

The bit "I hate" is trying to beat the bride to the church/registry office from her house, especially when there's nowhere to park :bang: then getting Groom with Best man before she arrives :nuts:

My mate ben's approach to that was to ask me to go straight to the church and do the groom and best man and then set up for brides arrival, while he went to the brides house and did all the getting ready shots (unless they also wanted groom getting ready shots in which case i'd do that then go to the church)

then when she left he'd try to get to the church ahead of her,but if not he could relax as if he'd not put in an appearance I'd do the 'bride arriving' and then we'd both shoot the ceremony (though there were a couple of occasions where ben was totally screwed by the traffic and I had to shoot most of the cermony solo)

this goes to what andy was saying on the other thread about the value of a decent second tog.

Try racing the B&G from the church to the reception when they are in a Helicopter and you are in the middle of the country! Nearly got wiped off the road by a taxi as I was overtaking on the bypass as well :( got here with 2 mins to spare!

Churches with helipads whatever next!

Lol, it was a 'gift' from someone as they are a HUGE farming family round here with fingers in lots of pies. Even the wedding photos had 2 massive farm machines in with their logo on that they used for promotion thank you's to customers!

They could have gone in a tractor instead would have made it easier :)

dont bother doing asian weddings! 500 guests and if each family has 4-5 members.....!

I've gotten to the point where I don't really mind doing group shots. All my contracts state that I am not responsible for blinkers, guest flashes etc. It's dull and boring, but hey if thats what they want then thats what they want!

I don't hate anything - I actually love what I do! It is not about me. It is about the couple. They are paying me to provide a service so if they have a huge list of shots - they have a huge list of shots.

You know what I really do like about my job - getting involved to make sure the day goes as smoothly as possible for the couple. I have ironed shirts, tied cravats, put on cuff links, bulled a guardsmans boots, polished brass, tied the bride into her dress and even helped with adjusting the underwear when she is in it. I take bags to hotels, ferry people from the church to the venue in my car, do the odd bit of first aid here and there, provide hairspray, make the tea, coffee and once or twice have even been known to sort out breakfast.

Why? Because anything that isn't an issue for me and is for them needs to be solved / fixed / sorted and is part of the customer service I offer. Referrals - 50%+ of my business. I get referrals from people whose wedding I haven't even photographed yet just because they appreciate a nice photographer.

Andrew Miller
http://www.andrew-miller.co.uk

You know what I really do like about my job - getting involved to make sure the day goes as smoothly as possible for the couple. I have ironed shirts, tied cravats, put on cuff links, bulled a guardsmans boots, polished brass, tied the bride into her dress and even helped with adjusting the underwear when she is in it. I take bags to hotels, ferry people from the church to the venue in my car, do the odd bit of first aid here and there, provide hairspray, make the tea, coffee and once or twice have even been known to sort out breakfast.

+1 to this bit - I do love being the only professional that is there through out the whole day. People seem to think your the man in charge :)

My assistant / boss / wife is great with this sort of thing as well. She can talk to anyone, isn't afraid to sow up split trousers, keeps safety pins for jewellery repair, or even in one case get under the bonnet and jump start a limo.

I really enjoy weddings, to the point I have been known to do them for free if I've got a slow period, BUT if I could get away from group shots I'd be a happy bunny. I have read recently that it is very much the trend in the states not to have the formal group shots, just the one big group photo of everyone. I wonder if that trend will cross the water?:wave:

This is the bit I always hate, we always arrange witht the bride what time we are going to be at her house, so we have time to get to the venue for groom/ best man etc before her arrival. Thing is though we turn up as arranged only to sit waiting for her for an age as she is not ready, then a drive at break neck speed to beat her to the church/registry office:bang:

Really winds me up that bit, but I expect the photographer is the last thing on her mind on the morning of her big day:)

Groups are fab... Space them out stand 3/4 in a casual pose. blokes at the bcak with the cross dressing over tall women. Ladies to the front. Faces in spaces and pick on the auntie that try's to hide behind some one. I hate half head shots.

You can come and help me do a group of 800 next spring if you want. It's easy!!!!

180 people in various groups should take under 30mins.

d

we always arrange witht the bride what time we are going to be at her house, so we have time to get to the venue for groom/ best man etc before her arrival

I always stress to the bride what time I am going to LEAVE her house (to arrive at the ceremony 30 minutes before the start). I make it very clear I will not delay this departure if she is running late.

The bride last week, was still having her hair done when I left :shake:

I always stress to the bride what time I am going to LEAVE her house (to arrive at the ceremony 30 minutes before the start). I make it very clear I will not delay this departure if she is running late.

I think I might start stressing the time I will be leaving her house in future, as getting to the venue & getting set up there is much more important.(y)

I don't completely disagree with the sentiment and I've also been a taxi now and then but while you are helping putting on cufflinks, polishing brass and tieing the dress, you are also not capturing these moments. Photography comes first for me, that's what I'm paid to do.

Good idea...I'll take that one on too

Groups are fab... Space them out stand 3/4 in a casual pose. blokes at the bcak with the cross dressing over tall women. Ladies to the front. Faces in spaces and pick on the auntie that try's to hide behind some one. I hate half head shots.

You can come and help me do a group of 800 next spring if you want. It's easy!!!!

180 people in various groups should take under 30mins.

d

I'll take you up on that offer Darryl - Your only 20 minutes up the road :)

i've just read through this thread and really enjoyed it :)

i've only just second shot at my first wedding a couple of weeks ago so my experience is very limited at present, but from that one wedding i have already seen a couple of examples of the pita family members mentioned on here.

both sets of parents were divorced, one amicably the other not so much - hello snide comments and dirty looks. we also had timing problems back at the hotel because of delays in everyone getting away from the church on time and the bride and groom wanting to do a lap of the town in the middle of saturday afternoon traffic.

when everyone got back to the hotel there was no time for the planned group shots and they were put off untill after the meal. this of course meant everyone had started drinking and had their own agenda after that. some people had problems with room bookings other had wandered off to get changed and finding them was nigh on impossible.

the wedding party itself was very small, just one bridesmaid and the best man. so there was no extra help in rounding people up for photos and in the end we just had to make do with the people that were there at the time because the ones we had gathered up were getting arsey and wanted to get indoors to start partying. we had drunk uncles and cousins letching after the female main tog, aunts looking on with sour faces and the typical shy realtive who has to be coaxed out front (how hard is it to follow the instruction 'women at the front, men at the back'?)

we both ended up becoming extended members of the wedding party for the day running round after the b+g all the time but i didn't begrudge any of it because for the most part it was an absolute blast. all absolutely lovely people and we got some great photos from the day perhaps in some small part to the great rapport we had with the couple.

i know every wedding won't be like that and i've heard of some absolute shockers but i guess that's part of the business and you just have to roll with the punches. i'm going back for more in a couple of weeks and it looks like i've got a regular seconding gig so hopefully i'll have more stories to tell from future weddings.

from what i've experienced so far i loved it, but perhaps that's the naivety of inexperience speaking lol

I'm sure I'd be less of a group hater if we embraced some of the american approach. Plenty of time, fun shoots with a group of people who are all colour co-ordinated and most importantly enjoy the experience. Insetad I get grumpy aunts, drunk uncles and dresses which don't match the shoes, nevermind the rest of the bridal party.

On the plus side a good friend of mine had a bride get 'pooped' on by a bird last weekend. A proper job by all accounts...... At least I haven't has to contend with that during the group shots yet.

I've had my share of wedding disasters to date (and I really haven't been doing this that long so I hate to think what some of the seasoned veterans have gone through) but its still the best job in the world (Except my day job).

Just reading this thread and I've just looked at my wedding list for tomorrow's wedding and realised I've got 30 group photo's to do and the last one listed is 'various B&G' (just the 2 of them). Then I've just realised I've only got 30minutes from when the ceremony finishes to when the B&G head off to the reception.......erm, thats not alot of time.

hard to care if its Warm Tangerine or Marbella Peach your looking at.

Warm Tangerine & Marbella Peach - I believe that they are very good friends with the Geldof girls :LOL:

Just reading this thread and I've just looked at my wedding list for tomorrow's wedding and realised I've got 30 group photo's to do and the last one listed is 'various B&G' (just the 2 of them). Then I've just realised I've only got 30minutes from when the ceremony finishes to when the B&G head off to the reception.......erm, thats not alot of time.

i'm sure you dont need us to tell you thats not practical - i'd suggest doing the big groups shots first then if you run out of time try to grab the B&G for their couple shots in some quiet time at the reception instead

i'm sure you dont need us to tell you thats not practical - i'd suggest doing the big groups shots first then if you run out of time try to grab the B&G for their couple shots in some quiet time at the reception instead

I've just double checked it an I got it wrong lol. It's 30minutes before the next wedding comes out as its at a registry office (although a very nice one). We've got it set for the groups first leading down to just the bride and groom last. I don't know why I was thinking they were leaving after 30minutes.

We will be doing more bride & Groom ones at the reception venue aswell.

I've just double checked it an I got it wrong lol. It's 30minutes before the next wedding comes out as its at a registry office (although a very nice one). We've got it set for the groups first leading down to just the bride and groom last. I don't know why I was thinking they were leaving after 30minutes.

We will be doing more bride & Groom ones at the reception venue aswell.

im looking forward to seeing how stressed you are when i arrive at the evening do mate :D

im looking forward to seeing how stressed you are when i arrive at the evening do mate :D

I'll be well chilled out by then :nod:. The stressful bit will be the ceremony and the goup shots. The evening stuff will be cool :). Be good to see you there though buddy :)

I'll be well chilled out by then :nod:. The stressful bit will be the ceremony and the goup shots. The evening stuff will be cool :). Be good to see you there though buddy :)

it was from your recommendation mate. and jims13 is here too now as BPMjames. forums awesome, so many areas to cover.

ill stop spamming this thread now i think see you tommorow daz :D

Back