Wedding training.

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been doing photography for about 7-8 years now, I have done my friends wedding as gifts and saved them loads of money!! I would like to do a wedding course in 2013, Can anyone recommend someone i live in west Wales but i don't mind traveling as long as i learn from it!! :)

I highly recommend the trained eye.
I've only used them once for a day, but it was very well organised, kept groups nice and small, used excellent models, and used very high quality wedding photographers as trainers.
Well worth the money in my opinion.

They are based in the west london area, near beaconsfield if I remember correctly
Cheers
Ian

Bret Harkness Photography training is excellent and great value for money

Ginsters said:
I've only used them once for a day, but it was very well organised, kept groups nice and small, used excellent models, and used very high quality wedding photographers as trainers.

They are based in the west london area, near beaconsfield if I remember correctly
Cheers
Ian

I'll second this!

I've been looking at similar training myself and one suggestion that I'm currently looking into is SWPP Membership. This apparently gives you access to training and workshops at good prices.

Am still looking so will report back, will also be interested to see what others find useful :)

Matt

Great thread, been looking into dipping my toe into weddings and one of these courses would be ideal! definitely like the look of the thetrainedeye site.

Cheers
Ian

I'll second this!

Great thread, been looking into dipping my toe into weddings and one of these courses would be ideal! definitely like the look of the thetrainedeye site.

I disagree about the trained eye. What you actually learn on one of their course is very limited. The trainers will direct the models into poses, all you do is stick a 70-200 on wide open and shoot. It looks nice, if a little obvious in your portfolio. But the actual value of the course is very very low

I disagree about the trained eye. What you actually learn on one of their course is very limited. The trainers will direct the models into poses, all you do is stick a 70-200 on wide open and shoot. It looks nice, if a little obvious in your portfolio. But the actual value of the course is very very low

But surely the learning process is not just about pressing the shutter button, but also paying attention to how the trainer is directing the models?
Ok, so these are experienced models we're talking about and they have probably posed for the training course many times before.

I think it's probably unfair to say that all you get is a nice bunch of images. Sure, if your only aim is to build a portfolio then that's fine. But by observing what is going on around you, you will gain so much more (not speaking from experience though).

I have no affiliation with or experience of the Trained Eye. I have looked at their offerings and reckon that they appear to offer a lot. If my circumstances change, then they would probably be at the top of my list.

But surely the learning process is not just about pressing the shutter button, but also paying attention to how the trainer is directing the models?
Ok, so these are experienced models we're talking about and they have probably posed for the training course many times before.

I think it's probably unfair to say that all you get is a nice bunch of images. Sure, if your only aim is to build a portfolio then that's fine. But by observing what is going on around you, you will gain so much more (not speaking from experience though).

I have no affiliation with or experience of the Trained Eye. I have looked at their offerings and reckon that they appear to offer a lot. If my circumstances change, then they would probably be at the top of my list.

Surely the learning process would be better served by you directing the model in that case. Observation without direction isn't a great learning process. I could simply observe people doing any number of things, wouldn't mean they'd provided meaningful training though. Remember also this is supposed to be wedding training, not how to pose pretty models in a great location training.

I'm not sure how having the models directed into a pose for you, in the right light and location and being told to shoot is anything more then pressing the button?

Last edited:
Surely the learning process would be better served by you directing the model in that case. Observation without direction isn't a great learning process. I could simply observe people doing any number of things, wouldn't mean they'd provided meaningful training though. Remember also this is supposed to be wedding training, not how to pose pretty models in a great location training.

I'm not sure how having the models directed into a pose for you, in the right light and location and being told to shoot is anything more then pressing the button?

I was having a discussion about this with the Mrs last night. I think people need to go into these courses with some sort of expectations on what they will get out of it. For me personally I have shot a lot of studio work and would say that when it comes to directing people I am reasonably comfortable. Now my issue comes in expanding my knowledge into the world of weddings.

Sure I could probably grab a few gigs off friends etc, but it would be nice to have a small portfolio before hand both from a knowledge re-affirmation point of view but also that its just a bit of practice in the appropriate settings before doing it for real.

Gone are the days where you could tag along with a fellow photographer and be a second shooter , which means that if you want any way of starting up, these courses are going to probably be your only realistic option of getting a foundation going.

Last edited:
Martin is spot on - it is very difficult to get second shooter opportunities, especially if you don't have a portfolio to back you up.
OK, so the portfolio would be from a staged event, but that has got to be better than nothing.

I may be wrong, but what Hugh is implying is that such training courses are a waste of time. Some training / experience has got to be better than nothing. And from what I recall, Trained Eye courses aren't that expensive, especially if it gives you a good grounding or introduction to wedding photography.

Some people are happy to dive right in (at the risk of creating poor results), whereas others feel more comfortable having gone through a much less stressful (albeit controlled) situation.

Martin is spot on - it is very difficult to get second shooter opportunities, especially if you don't have a portfolio to back you up.
OK, so the portfolio would be from a staged event, but that has got to be better than nothing.

I may be wrong, but what Hugh is implying is that such training courses are a waste of time. Some training / experience has got to be better than nothing. And from what I recall, Trained Eye courses aren't that expensive, especially if it gives you a good grounding or introduction to wedding photography.

Some people are happy to dive right in (at the risk of creating poor results), whereas others feel more comfortable having gone through a much less stressful (albeit controlled) situation.

I'm not implying they are a complete waste of time from all angles. However from a teaching you how to photograph a wedding point of view I think very poorly of them.

You won't learn much if anything by watching someone else direct models in a pretty location. Let alone develop your own style. You may learn a little more by directing them yourself, but it won't teach you how a wedding works, how to deal with the guests and how to pose, direct and light people who aren't models. More then anything it won't help you 'see' whats going on.

On the portfolio question, all the photographers I know will see through a training day portfolio. However, being realistic most brides won't so you do have a selling point. However you'd still be diving straight in, and I promise you won't produce those workshop quality results.

Last edited:
Isn't this all a case of catch 22 though.
You cant get into a wedding to shoot without experience, but then you cant get experience unless you get lucky/go to training days.

The ideal option in this case would be a training day with 20+ models running a full wedding scenario (as apposed to the 4/5 on most courses) - but I dont think anyone does that and if they did id imagine it would be exceptionally expensive.

Isn't this all a case of catch 22 though.
You cant get into a wedding to shoot without experience, but then you cant get experience unless you get lucky/go to training days.

is is a catch 22. Training days in theory, could or should be a good place to start. I'm just saying this one isn't :), and you'll never manage to reproduced anything like what is shot there in real life

Last edited:
Well I would say a maximum of £1,000 or won't I get anything for this? :-/

Hello Jay,

I’ve read your query and noticed that you did mention that you have done photography for 7-8 years. That is good in terms of experience and I agree with Haggis, that you should join a course with Bret Harkness Photography. In fact I have also trained there.

As Hugh is saying, there's a big difference between shooting models in FAB locations with a tutor and having to shoot someone uncomfortable in front of a camera, in a poor location who may not be fantastic looking either

Wedding Photography training to me should be about the whole shoot for the whole day, but most seem to focus purely on the B&G set, and then use OCF and other lighting techniques to wow you into buying those courses

Shooting a Wedding is simply a series of skills and shooting types all needed on the same day - for instance, mine often start with...

• Still Life - the dress, shoes, tiara etc.
  • Then documentary style of the prep, usually with no added lighting
  • Then a Bridal portraiture session
  • Followed by a hint of macro and male portraiture and male group fun
  • Back to documentary to arrival and ceremony
  • Then a posed mini group for the signing
  • and so it goes on

You need a whole range of skills, and I've not seen a course that actually teaches them as used in a Wedding

Its tricky and no doubt

As for the B&G bit, yep I spent a day with Brett and learnt a few bits; Pete Bristo's day can be useful too

Whatever you do I think it more important to do several days with a variety of trainers and pick what bits you like, spending everything with one training group is likely to make you another version of them at best :(

Dave

Last edited:
What Dave said.

All of the various 'skills' can be practiced outside of a wedding environment, but oddly still life's of flowers and party portraits won't get brides to book you.

However, nice workshop images in your portfolio will. The fact that they mean nothing in real life, means little to the prospective customer. Even if we can spot them a mile away, these images will have some marketing value.

A full set of photographic skills and a cool head is all you need, that's why a business training course is just as important as a wedding workshop IMO.

There are still too many wedding photographers without the full set of basic skills though, which I still find odd. The number of 'wedding photographers' both full time and part time, old and new, who are clearly not capable just baffles me.

Just the thread I was looking for!!

I keep being asked if I do weddings, as usual it's by friends of family and friends of friends. My response is always a No as I don't feel confident enough to do it, my gear is not currently good enough and the last thing I would want to do is let people down. Obviously getting a bad reputation is far easier than getting a good one! :LOL:

I would love to do it at some point but am certainly not going to rush in like a complete tool. So, can anyone recommend any courses down in the south-west region, I've found plenty further up and Bristol appears to be the only mention so far of anyone reputable.

Please don't flame me :shake: As has been mentioned before everyone needs to start somewhere and the 2nd shooter opportunity is few and far between.

UPDATE: Sorry, had to update the post as I've just contacted Bjorn Thomassen who's office is only 7 miles away, please feel free to add any additional recommendations though

Last edited:
Just the thread I was looking for!!

I keep being asked if I do weddings, as usual it's by friends of family and friends of friends. My response is always a No as I don't feel confident enough to do it, my gear is not currently good enough and the last thing I would want to do is let people down. Obviously getting a bad reputation is far easier than getting a good one! :LOL:

I would love to do it at some point but am certainly not going to rush in like a complete tool. So, can anyone recommend any courses down in the south-west region, I've found plenty further up and Bristol appears to be the only mention so far of anyone reputable.

Please don't flame me :shake: As has been mentioned before everyone needs to start somewhere and the 2nd shooter opportunity is few and far between.

UPDATE: Sorry, had to update the post as I've just contacted Bjorn Thomassen who's office is only 7 miles away, please feel free to add any additional recommendations though

I've spent a day with Bjorn a few years ago - great chap and good teacher :)

I can't recommend anyone in your area and certainly no-one better - enjoy your Wedding shooting (y)

Dave

As Hugh is saying, there's a big difference between shooting models in FAB locations with a tutor and having to shoot someone uncomfortable in front of a camera, in a poor location who may not be fantastic looking either

Wedding Photography training to me should be about the whole shoot for the whole day, but most seem to focus purely on the B&G set, and then use OCF and other lighting techniques to wow you into buying those courses

Shooting a Wedding is simply a series of skills and shooting types all needed on the same day - for instance, mine often start with...

• Still Life - the dress, shoes, tiara etc.
  • Then documentary style of the prep, usually with no added lighting
  • Then a Bridal portraiture session
  • Followed by a hint of macro and male portraiture and male group fun
  • Back to documentary to arrival and ceremony
  • Then a posed mini group for the signing
  • and so it goes on

You need a whole range of skills, and I've not seen a course that actually teaches them as used in a Wedding

Its tricky and no doubt

As for the B&G bit, yep I spent a day with Brett and learnt a few bits; Pete Bristo's day can be useful too

Whatever you do I think it more important to do several days with a variety of trainers and pick what bits you like, spending everything with one training group is likely to make you another version of them at best :(

Dave

I agree with all this.

As a wedding tog I can't see how anyone can learn ANYTHING from observing someone pose models whilst you stand there with your finger on the shutter. For me that's portraits which is only 10% of a wedding and not documentary in the way the rest of a wedding day is.

Dave has the right idea IMO of how to run a wedding training course (y)

Brett Harkness Photography training is excellent and great value for money

I spent a day with Brett in March and can't recommend him highly enough, changed the way I shoot within about 20 mins (without flash) and gave me about 300% more confidence with flash using the techniques he works through with you.

Top man aswell and spent the first hour or so in the classroom talking about how he approaches the day and sharing many business tips that have already helped me.

Very inspirational guy, definitely gave me a kick up the jaxy I needed to be honest, and made me hungry for more.

Gone are the days where you could tag along with a fellow photographer and be a second shooter , which means that if you want any way of starting up, these courses are going to probably be your only realistic option of getting a foundation going.

Why are the days gone? If you make the effort then ofcourse you can get a second shooter spot, i've just done it, did my first wedding with him last week, but i didnt ask around my home town where i know full well no-one will take me on, i had to travel 30 minutes each way just to meet the guy, sit down and have a chat. and the wedding i did was 60 miles each way for free, if you make the effort and show willingness theres plenty of opportunities out there

Back