Wedding with 1 prime lens

Only done 2 weddings, my first was a mix of allsorts. My second was 80% shot with a 35mm on a crop body.

Canon 50mm 1.2 for me. Bang inbetween the 35mm and 85mm. Great for low light in church etc. Amazing shallow DOF for certain shots.

The first wedding I did was a tech disaster with one camera body and two lenses going down as well as my second's card corrupting. I did the whole thing on a 50mm and it worked out just fine.

You couldn't shoot a whole wedding with just an 85mm.

I did a ceremony and shots outside the church/in gardens using only the 35mm f1.8g FX. I did think had I had the 85mm at the time I would have been swapping between the 2.

Sure you can :) you'll just lose lots of context ;D

and 85mm is great for group photos :)

Oh yeah, if you're outside and can zoom with your feet then no problems, was thinking more of constrained environments indoors where 85 simply won't be wide enough.

I tend to find I shoot mostly with the 85mm (full-frame) - so would probably go for that. Although now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing a lot of the environment and context from my shots...

Brett Harkness shoots with a 50mm and JPEG. An interesting task.

I used to shoot all my weddings in Jpeg when I used the Fuji S5 ;)

Also I have photographed an entire wedding (my first one) with a 50mm although it was tight as it was on an APS-C sensor.
I would have chosen 35mm if I had to.

A long time since I did weddings....
But they were all done with 75mm or 80mm Rolleiflexes or 75mm minolta autocords. So a single focal length is not a problem.

But today, why would you..? an equivalent zoom of 28-75 or so, and another 50-200, each mounted on their own camera, would seem ideal.

Im with Phil, I could use a 35mm or a 50mm all day...but I dont have to and refuse to hinder myself to do that.

I use the canon 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and an 85 f1.2 all day and am always swapping out. Im lucky enough to have 3 pro bodies so I am not swapping lenses over all day though.

If I wanted to cut down on clutter and weight, I'd take 2 x Fuji X-t1 with grips and the 35mm and 80mm equivalent primes...super light setups.

You could if it was on a Rolleiflex (actually 80mm).

Well yeah it obviously depends on format.

Large/medium - quite possible
Full frame - some shots are going to be difficult/impossible
Crop - don't even try

:D

See this topic all the time and can't for the life see why anyone would want to do this ? Weight saving or wanting to carry light ? Surley just buy a lens pouch for your belt and fire an 85mm in it along with a 35mm on the camera . The difference in weight is pretty much the same as whether you have a dump before leaving for the wedding or not

Last edited:
See this topic all the time and can't for the life see why anyone would want to do this ? Weight saving or wanting to carry light ? Surley just buy a lens pouch for your belt and fire an 85mm in it along with a 35mm on the camera . The difference in weight is pretty much the same as whether you have a dump before leaving for the wedding or not

Marc has very specific health issues which restrict what he can carry - that aside I agree broadly that its not something i'd do by choice ... if i absolutely had to i'd go for a 50mm on FF or 35mm on crop , although i'd be sorely tempted to tuck an 85mm into my pocket.. If i was limited to one lens for other reasons i'd go zoom and use the 17-55 (on crop) or the 24-70 on FF.

End of the day a good photographer can do the job with what he or she has available , by adapting to the circumstances

I was expecting someone to say 135mm but that hasnt really been anyones choicr! Interesting! I think I would chose 85mm on FF - just love those isolated 'real' shots.

too long surely (especially on a crop) -I do love the 135 on FF but it wouldnt be my choice if it was the only lens i could have

Marc has very specific health issues which restrict what he can carry

Indeed and also, changing lenses on the fly would have had the potential for disaster. But everything was fine in the end.

There's a little bit of sadness in catching up with this thread though as the groom's mum, who badgered me into photographing the wedding and insisted on giving me a wad of notes at the reception sadly passed away a couple of months ago. :(

Indeed and also, changing lenses on the fly would have had the potential for disaster. But everything was fine in the end.

Have you considered a lighter system ? I know various pro's whove gone to CSC because DSLR was too heavy for their health conditions... if you went that route the answer to the lens changing is two bodies one on each

Sad about the grooms mum - but at least he'll have some nice shots of her at his wedding

Have you considered a lighter system ? I know various pro's whove gone to CSC because DSLR was too heavy for their health conditions... if you went that route the answer to the lens changing is two bodies one on each

I was using a Sony A700 which was a magnesium alloy body so a heavy lump. I'm moved over to a Fuji X-T1 this year which is much better for me but I won't be doing any more weddings (this was only my 2nd "official" one anyway) as my mobility is too poor now.

Sad about the grooms mum - but at least he'll have some nice shots of her at his wedding

Not as many as I would have liked him to have as she was rather camera shy.

Marc has very specific health issues which restrict what he can carry - that aside I agree broadly that its not something i'd do by choice ... if i absolutely had to i'd go for a 50mm on FF or 35mm on crop , although i'd be sorely tempted to tuck an 85mm into my pocket.. If i was limited to one lens for other reasons i'd go zoom and use the 17-55 (on crop) or the 24-70 on FF.

End of the day a good photographer can do the job with what he or she has available , by adapting to the circumstances
The best photographer in the world cant take a group shot at 35mm when he needs a 24mm because his backs against the wall.
I hope Marcs health issues are on the way up for him(dont know what it is) but if he is in a situation where he can only carry 1 camera and 1 lens then maybe a wedding isnt the best thing he could be photographing.

The best photographer in the world cant take a group shot at 35mm when he needs a 24mm because his backs against the wall.
I hope Marcs health issues are on the way up for him(dont know what it is) but if he is in a situation where he can only carry 1 camera and 1 lens then maybe a wedding isnt the best thing he could be photographing.

Sadly, I have a chronic progressive illness so not on the up I'm afraid.

I'm not a wedding photographer, I just did this one as a favour. The groom's brother got married in Italy a few years ago and they hired a pro. They were not happy with the results but liked the few snaps I took so they wanted similar for this wedding and they were pleased with the results. I wouldn't even be able to do that now so no chance of it happening again.

Have to say, I'm surprised it's taken a year and a half for this to come up! :LOL:

Sadly, I have a chronic progressive illness so not on the up I'm afraid.

I'm not a wedding photographer, I just did this one as a favour. The groom's brother got married in Italy a few years ago and they hired a pro. They were not happy with the results but liked the few snaps I took so they wanted similar for this wedding and they were pleased with the results. I wouldn't even be able to do that now so no chance of it happening again.

Have to say, I'm surprised it's taken a year and a half for this to come up! :LOL:
Ahhhh thats totally different then , my bad

They could move somewhere else though. Or take two and stick them together. :p
Plenty of times when they cant be moved to anywhere bigger or because of weather.
An example of this was only last week for me , the bride was a manager at a local cinema, she wanted the bridal party (14 of them)on the front row watching the big screen which remember is a matter of feet from the screen , which is where my back was........try moving that!

Sorry guys im going to do this in 2 shots as Ive only brought one lens lol (before you say it I know you dont have to tell them)

anyway turn out its a favour which I missed so anything I posted can be ignored LOL

but the best photographer in the world (or anyone with any sense) would set the group shot up somewhere else in those circumstances

but the best photographer in the world (or anyone with any sense) would set the group shot up somewhere else in those circumstances
Did you see my last post ref the cinema????

Its funny how you see it - A good photographer can use any lens or simply move them

I see it as a good photographer will be responsible and bring the kit to get them out of every eventuality with out having to look stupid by asking everyone to move because "sorry guys Ive only one lens with me and its not wide enough" COULD YOU IMAGINE!!

Not sure how many weddings you've done, if you do any or how lucky you've been so far but ive lost count the amount of times my back has been against the wall in small venues with no where bigger to go.

Anyway , I for one will not be getting my clients to move because I brought one lens with me and while the 1 lens guys are stitching their images on photoshop Ill be in my living room watching Jeremy Kyle :)

Course in practice i agree with you - bringing a decent ammount of kit is a hallmark of a pro ... however if you were at said wedding and say your kit bag got stolen leaving you with only a 35mm that happened to be on your camera at the time , would you throw up your hands and say "sorry , the gigs over " or would you find a way of making it work (like suggesting a different pose , maybe with the big screen in the background shot from up the aisle )

Which was my core point - a good photographer can photograph a wedding with any lens whether thats an 8mm fisheye or a 400mm prime or anywhere in between, if he has to ... which is not to say that any pro would do so out of choice

(which is why the question tends to be asked by non pro's attending as guests or doing favours for mates)

Last edited:
Course in practice i agree with you - bringing a decent ammount of kit is a hallmark of a pro ... however if you were at said wedding and say your kit bag got stolen leaving you with only a 35mm that happened to be on your camera at the time , would you throw up your hands and say "sorry , the gigs over " or would you find a way of making it work (like suggesting a different pose , maybe with the big scren in the background shot from up the aisle )
Not the goal posts have changed ever so slightly LOL

Yeah in that case I think people would understand if I had to move them

So your saying a good photographer can use one lens................If their bag gets nicked..............OK I agree

he best photographer in the world cant take a group shot at 35mm when he needs a 24mm because his backs against the wall.

No, but any pro will take enough frames to stitch together into one lovely group shot later

No, but any pro will take enough frames to stitch together into one lovely group shot later
Yeah and what I said above , while your stitching away till your hearts content, Ill be in the living room watching abit of Jeremy Kyle.
Theres a hard way and an easy way for everything for me I just stick a couple of extra lenses in the bag :)

Nobody can possibly say and believe that its better to bring one lens to a wedding and stitch shots after rather than just bringing the correct gear, there simply can be no argument surely ?

Theres a hard way and an easy way for everything

There is, theres also the pros ability to get out of trouble if needed (no matter what focal lengths are in the bag)

Nobody can possibly say and believe that its better to bring one lens to a wedding and stitch shots after rather than just bringing the correct gear, there simply can be no argument surely ?

I never said any differently. Did I?

your saying and others have said you can stitch, all Im saying is if there is a way to avoid that by simply bring the correct lens why wouldnt you.

I never said any differently. Did I?[/QUOTE]

Your saying with one lens you can stitch, Im saying with a selection of lenses you dont have to , simple as that

Your saying with one lens you can stitch, Im saying with a selection of lenses you dont have to , simple as that

You seem to think I said or implied it was a preferable solution. I didn't. Its easier to read whats written ;)

Last edited:
I never said any differently. Did I?

Your saying with one lens you can stitch, Im saying with a selection of lenses you dont have to , simple as that[/QUOTE]

Where did I say it was easier or preferable?>. You can though...can't you?

Where did I say it was easier or preferable?>. You can though...can't you?[/QUOTE]
Of course you can !!!! I didnt say you cant , just why would you if you dont have to . Goodness me.

Back