Wedding with 1 prime lens

I wouldn't choose to again tomorrow but I shot quite a few with the Zenzanon 75mm

So it'd have to be a 35mm on crop or 50mm FF but I'd have no interest in doing it. I could, but I could also live on ham sandwiches, it doesn't mean it makes any sense to do it.

I wouldn't choose to again tomorrow but I shot quite a few with the Zenzanon 75mm

So it'd have to be a 35mm on crop or 50mm FF but I'd have no interest in doing it. I could, but I could also live on ham sandwiches, it doesn't mean it makes any sense to do it.

What happens if you REALLY like ham sandwiches?

35mm f2 and a good pair of trainers for zooming in and out all day :)

Thanks for the respobses, pretty much as I thought then as far as thhe 35mm answes are concerned. Would just be concerned about distortion for the closer portrait shots.

Just briefly, I am doing it, I'm doing it as a favour and I need it to be as light as possible because of mobility issues. I may well still a 50mm in the wife's bag. ;)

If I'd just one choice I'd go for the 35mm as well. But as you say closer portraits would be a concern.

Someone on here who's wedding work is amongst the highest regarded (I want to say Ross Harvey) I'm sure says he could do the whole day on a 35mm 1.4. I would struggle I think, but the 50mm 1.8 is so small that might as well go in my pocket too. I could probably get away with a 35 and a 50 if I had to I reckon.

If shooting Nikon then the 35mm 1.4 and if using the D800 it can crop into 52.5mm also.

35mm 1.2 or 1.4
I recommended sigma 35mm 1.4art for FX

So, quite a consensus then. 35mm seems to be an overwhelming favourite here. I've actually got a 30mm f1.4 (using crop) so I can see it being the most used but I've also persuaded the better half to carry the second body with the 50mm f1.4 on with the 105mm in the bag so I'm pretty well covered now.

For the wedding I shot yesterday it was 90% shot with a D600 with Sigma 35mm 1.4, however I don't think I could have lived without the 10% with the 80-200 2.8 (some of the ceremony and speeches). Certainly comfortably do-able with two primes, say 35mm and 135mm.

85mm on FF for me.
I can manoeuvre a few steps whilst optimising portraits.
Anything from f1.8 upto f11 has proved very useful to date.

I could happily shoot the entire day with my Canon 50mm 1.2 (@f2) or Fuji 23mm 1.4 (35mm equivalent). I have no idea why I prefer the wider angle on the Fuji's, it just seems right somehow.

I agree with Phil. I could do it but do I really want to when I know I could miss lots and capture more with say a 28~70f2.8.

If I had to 35mm on full frame anything wider would be awful for close-up portraits but useful for groups anything longer would be great for portraits and awful for groups in limited space.

Saying that i used to do a lot of weddings with only an 80mm f2.8 on 6x6. it would be tight doing a group shot and I normally had to revert to hiring a 50mmf4 just for a handful of shots for larger weddings

Although I don't shoot weddings for money, when I was younger I had my arm twisted into it a number of times. On those occasions, I used a nifty fifty pretty much exclusively because it was faster and much sharper than anything else I could have got my hands on.

If I ever have to do it again, I'd have a fast 35mm on one body and an 85mm on the other, just the same way I usually shoot music gigs.

carried just 85 1.2 on a FF once on a friends wedding, and was surprised to see that i didnt miss anything and all my pics had same signature tone which i loved

I rented a 35L for a wedding the other weekend and used it for about 80% of the shots I took. Will be getting a Sigma 35 ASAP :)

I shot a wedding the other day (despite saying I'd never do another again) on a 50 1.4 & D700 pretty much 95% of the time and I was really happy with the results.

(The other 5% was a 24 2.8)

Reactions: ST4
I thought you already only work with the 35mm ;-) I second that, my second choice would be a 50mm
He he:) Last wedding I think I took maybe 100 shots with 85mm out of nearly 3000 . If next year is as good this I am getting 24mm and together with 35 this will be my combo!

He he:) Last wedding I think I took maybe 100 shots with 85mm out of nearly 3000 . If next year is as good this I am getting 24mm and together with 35 this will be my combo!

Same here, 35mm is responsible for at least 85% of the shots, the rest being taken by either 135mm or 85mm. However, if I had to shoot one lens only I would love to do a whole wedding with 50mm I think. i love the 35 for it's versatility but there is something magical about that 50mm focal length - I often find myself during a wedding thinking I should shoot with it more.

I photographed a wedding yesterday and 90% of the shots were with the sigma 35mm f1.4. The rest, I used the 50mm which I sometimes used at 75mm with the crop feature on the d800. This was my first wedding with no zoom lenses and I found it much more rewarding than using a zoom, the 85mm lens will definitely be on my list and also something wide like a 24mm too.

Used to use a 75mm Zenzanon with occasionally a 45mm for group shots, so yes, 35mm on crop, 50mm on FF.

Hi, I've shot many a wedding using just a standard (75/80mm) lens on medium format so it guess it would have to be a 50mm on a FF camera, or a 35mm if using an APS-C camera.

Keep meaning to update this. I used the 30mm for 95% of the photos, 50mm for the rest.

In my younger days I only had a 50mm and used it for numerous weddings.
So I would probably pick that as my one lens one body if I ever had too choose! :)

Or my 27mm f2.8 0n my Fuji X gives just over 40mm a nice happy medium between 35mm/50mm 0n FF

Last edited:
35L!!!

Someone on here who's wedding work is amongst the highest regarded (I want to say Ross Harvey) I'm sure says he could do the whole day on a 35mm 1.4. I would struggle I think, but the 50mm 1.8 is so small that might as well go in my pocket too. I could probably get away with a 35 and a 50 if I had to I reckon.

To be fair, he probably could. He shot the whole of his Burma trip with the 35mm 1.8 and the variety was amazing.....But Ross Harveys are few and far between. I doubt most could really pull it off.

agree - 50mm on a full frame, or 35mm if your are doing a lot of group stuff - you can always crop images

Back