Weddings: 2nd shooter question

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys I may have the opportunity to be taken on as a 2nd shooter/assistant. I have emailed a sample of my work (which is a mix of sports and landscape) and the photographer seems keen to take me on.

But he has asked me how much I would charge to assist and this is where i'm stuck as I have no idea what figures a re paid for 2nd shooters

I'd love a rough idea of what you guys think is acceptable for a full day and half day assisted shoot.

ps I've posted this in the speciality section also hope no one minds :D

Never done wedding photography but I know that they get paid a fair bit. I would guess maybe 1/4 of what the 1st photographer gets paid would be fair ish? If he gets paid £1000 you ask for £250?

Depends on your how good you are I suppose. I'm surprised he wants to pay you as 'second shooter' without any experience, sounds good so ask him what he was thinking.

Last edited:
That sounds very fair to me to get your foot in the door,well done.:)(y)

Sounds exceedingly fair.
I've done some 2nd shooter work for a pretty low end company and was getting £50 cash in hand for a days work.

As others have said it's going to depend on what he charges, the £100 for second sounds ok, but the £250 for doing it solo, whats he charging the couple?

Depends if you are doing it for your own experience building, if so then I wouldnt expect anything.

If its as a bona fide second doing stuff that the main tog is unable to do and which he will use relatively extensively in the album then you shoudl be rewarded for your time and effort, so well done.

Nice one Red but if you do an event solely yourself, be sure not to get ripped off

Cheers for the replies guys. I've been in touch with the photographer and he's willing to pay me £100 to assist and if and when he is confident for me to shoot an event on my own he will pay me £250.

I think at the point where you'll be offered work for £250 as a single shooter, it will be worth doing a handful to gain experience of what the pressure can be like etc then afterwards you'd have to consider going alone yourself

Back