Weddings and curvy brides

Edit My Images
No
Any tips for flattering poses for a curvy bride?

Groom is very slender - so I want to make sure my shots are as flattering as possible.

Bearing in mind Ive not having shot weddings Id suggest have him standing as broad as possible and her angled away from the camera.

If possible have him standing 1/2 a step in front of her, but close together, so effectively, in the politest possible way he is blocking her, rather than the other way around.

lol.........

Bearing in mind Ive not having shot weddings Id suggest have him standing as broad as possible and her angled away from the camera.

If possible have him standing 1/2 a step in front of her, but close together, so effectively, in the politest possible way he is blocking her, rather than the other way around.

You never shot weddings? Oh well please don't go and try it and saying to the bride "Ere love don't mind standing at the back so i can fit you in" :LOL: I'm messing :D

Personally i would see if you can bring a step ladder? then face the bride and groom facing in a little bit towards each other and getting the shot on say the first or second step looking down at them. Will kinda hide the curvy bits

Tony

Use props................

flowers, children, stand her next to tall column type things that go out of the top of the frame, shoot from higher, never from lower, if she has a sleevless dress try a wrap/shawl etc to hide bingo wings, try not to shoot her from side on as this will/could make he look fatter/larger,

Try www.phototraining4u.co.uk , it is excellent for all the questions you have started to ask.

Shoot the bride from a higher perspective, this will get her to naturally look up towards you thereby stretching the skin and minimising the appearance of any chins.

As other have said shoot at an angle but be careful with this one as it may put emphasis on her arms if they are bare.

Most people will say that you shouldn't shoot straight on but this can be effective if you are clever about it. There are a few ways of disguising her size e.g. get her to hold her bouquet in front of her as if she is about to sniff the flowers, if she has a veil make sure it covers her upper arms as this will break up the outline and shape.

Get her to lean forward, this has the effect of stretching the neck as mentioned above.

If using OCF try some short lighting which can help to make a subject look slimmer.

Finally, many larger brides are aware of their size and may have some self confidence issues because of it, this is when you must be positive and compliment her - this will help her to relax.

On that point (complimenting the bride) If shooting a portrait of her from above you may notice she has gorgeous eyes or full lips and it is well worth not only commenting but trying to emphasise those. Doug Gordon does a really great job of tight head shots and these may just be perfect for your bride.

Another great one is a shot of her holding up the bouquet and just peeping over it.

I'd also recommend PT4U, Mark has a whole 20 minutes devoted to just this subject :)

Some very useful tips there.

There's always photoshop if you're a REAL expert, but then that wouldn't be a true reflection on what you shot and they may not like it.

If she's self conscious then treat gently but if she's confident and happy with her body then it'll be really easy for you and them.

andy

Are you able to take some shots of them together before the big day... see what works, and what doesn't ?

whats wrong with a few curves?
:plus1:

I was a "curvy bride" (actually, fat bride, size 22) sounds like you're desperately trying to look for ways to make the bride look like something she's not or even hide her on her big day. Her dress will be fitted to her, not like highstreet clothes, so it will flatter her figure. She will feel like a princess on her wedding day and unless she'd disillusioned, she knows that she's not a size 8. Like any figure, there are flattering poses and less flattering poses, for example pear/hour glass shaped women a more flattering angle for them is 30-45 degrees-ish (there's a post somewhere about it). Props and such like...to be frank the bride will have spend hundreds, if not thousands on a dress...she wants to see the dress in the photos not have people or things infront shielding her.

I was a "curvy bride" (actually, fat bride, size 22) sounds like you're desperately trying to look for ways to make the bride look like something she's not or even hide her on her big day. Her dress will be fitted to her, not like highstreet clothes, so it will flatter her figure. She will feel like a princess on her wedding day and unless she'd disillusioned, she knows that she's not a size 8. Like any figure, there are flattering poses and less flattering poses, for example pear/hour glass shaped women a more flattering angle for them is 30-45 degrees-ish (there's a post somewhere about it). Props and such like...to be frank the bride will have spend hundreds, if not thousands on a dress...she wants to see the dress in the photos not have people or things infront shielding her.

An excellent post, and I concur!

Get her to stand behind the cake (y)

If she's left any:D

And it is ******s like you who make bigger women feel more uncomfortable about themselves. Thought this forum was meant to help out not to take the **** out of a people you have never met before?

I urge others to follow my lead and report this post. There is no room for ignorance like this on these forums

i thought the joke was funny, however the aggressive tone in the post above i think is inappropriate so for that reason yeah i'll join you in a bit of reporting.

I also urge others to follow my lead and report the post above. There is no room for ignorance like this on these forums :D

And it is ******s like you who make bigger women feel more uncomfortable about themselves. Thought this forum was meant to help out not to take the **** out of a people you have never met before?

I urge others to follow my lead and report this post. There is no room for ignorance like this on these forums

Humour is often a good way of lightening the mood and to be honest, most large people are very aware of their weight and often make jokes about it themselves. Ever seen Phil Jupitus?

I must admit I thought of this:
image004.jpg

Meanwhile, there been some really good suggestions for something I've not thought about before and that's why I love this forum.

Very good post, OP - listen to this! The bride will definitely want her dress in as many shots as possible, and trying to hide her may not give her a great deal of confidence. Definitely appreciate that you are trying to get the best pictures for them, but I'd go about it like you would do normally and try different things. Again, as MagicMynx says some things will work and some won't.

I'm sure you will get some great shots, good luck with it :)

Some people are so up tight, good photography is all about getting the best from people, theres nothing wrong with curves, but there us a way to get the most out of any subject no matter their shape or size!

@ techno-geek, obviously youd say it in a more polite/subtle way! Lol

The ladder/high angle suggestion is a good one!

Very good post, OP - listen to this! The bride will definitely want her dress in as many shots as possible, and trying to hide her may not give her a great deal of confidence. Definitely appreciate that you are trying to get the best pictures for them, but I'd go about it like you would do normally and try different things. Again, as MagicMynx says some things will work and some won't.

I'm sure you will get some great shots, good luck with it :)

Of course the other thing is the bride has probably dieted for her wedding and her and the family/friends will think she looks great. I'm sure any photo's you take will be loved.

Thinking about this I've decided not to dwell on the issue of body shapes. My job is to document the day as it is.

I will however attempt varied poses and the bride can pick what she likes and bin what she doesn't.

Just over two weeks before the event. My first ever wedding shoot. I'm excited one moment then terrified the very next. :)

Brief as I'm using my phone.

I wouldn't try and hide her at all but use some of the suggestions here for shooting from a higher angle.

I've shot 2 brides who were curvy, I wouldn't say fat, just carrying a bit of extra weight. The first one loved her photos and I didn't do anything special with them, although as she was 5'2" and I am 5'10" I was already shooting down on her a little.

The second bride was just a little shorter than me however, I spent 10 minutes reading up and body shaping with photoshop and it made a lot of difference. I didn't go mad, and no one has any idea that I have even altered any. Just ever so slightly took arms in, pushed in the odd bit of skin poking from over the dress etc.

There is a fine line between "that doesn't look like me" and "I look better than I thought I would!"

And good luck for the shoot! It's scary, but completely amazing catching someone's special day and I am sure you will get some great shots :)

The OP was merely asking for advice on how to flatter the bride rather than accentuate her shape. A valid question IMO, I would assume everyone here appreciates that different lighting/angles/poses can dramatically change the overall look of someone in a picture.

Let's not make it into something it isn't. :)

:clap:

Get her to stand behind the cake (y)

If she's left any:D
:LOL:

Lighten up a bit, no need to report the post, sense of humour maybe needed.

As OP origional question, get a feel for your bride as k her if there are any particular shots they want, maybe even ask her how much of the detail she wants showing in her dress, ask her what the dress looks like is it low cut, strapless armless etc that way if she is showing alot of skin then my thoughts would be that she is happy with her self the way she is and loves her curves. If it is a polo neck with full arms and showing nothing then maybe she is concious and the phtos can be done in a different way like suggested by better qualified people on here than me.
My wife is lets say more curvy than others but not massivly over weight size 18 to 20, and she did not care a jot how the photos where taken and loved everyone of them, oh and she even laughed at the cake JOKE.
Some women are self concious though and well you should be able to get a feel for that when taking to her.

Just my 2 cents

spike

Back