Weddings what kit

I would just add a couple of primes 50mm f1.8 & a 85mm 1.8 along with your 2 existing lenses you are pretty well covered to get started a flashgun would be useful as well.
I have been shooting weddings for over 45yrs and managed with a 50mm on 35mm camera body and a fixed 80mm on a 2.1/4 med format with 160 iOS film.
People these days don't know how lucky they are to be able to change iso from frame to frame or even set auto iso.
I own fast zooms and primes but I either use a 18-200mm on DX or a 28-300mm on FF. for my weddings these days.
And so far no complaints from my customers.
Don't be discouraged or put off we all had to start somewhere.
I'm not sure what part the country you live in but more than willing to help you if I can.

Having just read through this thread, am a little scared to ask my question now o_O
But here goes ...I currently have the following Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-105l f4, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG & Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO DG HSM.....am looking to possibly replace or add to my current range. Ideally replace the Sigma 24-70 with a Canon 24-70 2.8 (but funds may not stretch that far).......any suggestions out there.
I do weddings...hence why I added to this thread.
Also has any one used "simplyelectronics.net" they seem to be releatively cheap.

:)

Who said anything about charging I was looking for advice on the kit I had and what would be better. If you can take up a new hobby and be a professional straight away you are bloody brilliant me I need to work at it find out what's best suited to the task and practice

(I didnt read the whole thread so this may already be covered)

Even if you arent charging , if you are the principal photographer covering someones wedding you need to be good, and you need to be ready (and you need to at the absolute minimum have two bodies and a few lenses that can cover all the usual shots even if one breaks, and prefferably a decent flash gun or two) Even if you are shooting for your best mate (in fact in someways thats more important - if you cock up a strangers wedding the worst that you can lose is money - cock up your mates wedding coverage and you could lose a good friend)

Your kit will be just about adequate to begin with - but i'd aim to pick up another body (preferably something better than the 400D) , a flash gun, and something longer like a 70-200 , and a fast prime for low light situation. I wouldnt worry about the lens baby tbh

(of course if you are thinking of just taking a fewshots as guest for you own entertainment none of the above applies)

Last edited:
Having just read through this thread, am a little scared to ask my question now o_O
But here goes ...I currently have the following Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-105l f4, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG & Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO DG HSM.....am looking to possibly replace or add to my current range. Ideally replace the Sigma 24-70 with a Canon 24-70 2.8 (but funds may not stretch that far).......any suggestions out there.
I do weddings...hence why I added to this thread.
Also has any one used "simplyelectronics.net" they seem to be releatively cheap.

:)

I wouldn't touch simplyelectronics with a bargepole. Search on here for reviews.

if the price looks too good to be true it probably is - if you must buy grey look at one of the well known names like panamoz or digital rev. Its also worth looking at second hand from the likes of mpb/camera jungle/ ffordes/camtech etc

Back