Week from Hell (Rant)

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
This has been an aweful week. It started off so nicely with Bolton Abbey but it all went down hill from there. Monday was fine, it all started on Tuesday. I had to go and have a root canal finished on a tooth that has been bothering me for a while. What should have been an hour and a half tops lasted with me in the chair from 0800 to 1105. The dentist messed up and went through the bottom of my tooth and caused all sorts of bleeding then the outside of my tooth started to crumble and he had to make an incision in my gum and fix the tooth from the outside. Not really fun.

On Wednesday my face was swollen and my head was pounding. I went to work but called the dentist saying I could not live with the pain. So I went back to the dentist and he numbed me up or at least he tried, the inflamation was so bad that the numbing solutions didn't work so he had to grind down my tooth with no numbing. Having had a child I will say that the pain was gosh near close to that and there was nothing cute at the end. On the plus side he gave me a narcotic and said go home and sleep. I did this. I followed all directions but apparently I don't have a high tollerance for narcotics and I basically took to much. I had my husband rush me to the Dr yesterday morning where they said yep you've taken too much for you but there isn't anything we can do so you will have to ride it out. So I spent the mornign puking my brains out and all around being miserable.

So it has been a bad week. Please oh please let this weekend be better.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about that Renee,

I hate the dentists at the best of times but you seem to have had a rough time of it this week. You can probably report them for giving you too much?

Doesn't sound like it could get much worse!

At least you have your hubby to kiss you better!
love-smiley-024.gif

Hoping things improve!

:hug: You poor thing. Could your GP not have given you an anti-emetic injection (anti-sickness drug) to stop you puking?

I had a really good dentist up in Yorkshire, but can't get registered with one down here. I dread going to a new dentist.

First of all :hug:
Sounds like youve really been through the mill and if I were you I would definately change my dentist.
Hope youre feeling better soon and that the mouth heals satisfactorily.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth that has started to decay but Im absolutely petrified to have it out as all I seem to hear is horror stories from other peeps.
Only last week a friend of mine had their mouth messed up and I still have the thread here fresh in my mind, I think by Hacker (sorry if wrong), where a dentist prescribed £25,000 worth of unnecessary treatment to his wife.
Easy to see why dentists scare the crap out of people!

Well I have to see a military Dentist and I've seen this one a number of times without incident but it all seemed to just hit the fan this week. Thanks for your words of kindness.

and yes it was "that" bad!
Renee

Sue the peasant ...:cautious:

So sorry to hear about your messed up week ... my most dreaded must do in the whole world ... going to the dentist ... :eek: :puke:

Anyway ... yours messed up so he should pay the price ... was it Hacker who recently had an issue with a dentist messing with his missus ... :thinking: ... lots of useful advice came out of that thread ... ;)

Bad craftsmen should not be allowed to live ... sorry ... of course I mean ... :D ... get away with such malpractice unchallenged ... :shake: ... don't I ... :naughty:

:p

American Military doctors and dentists can not have malpractice suits filed against them....

Surely even though they are doing the work on an army base because they're working in this country they have to be under the umbrella of the national dentistry association thingy - or is this one of those american soil type things where select places are actually american - embassies, military bases and such?

Exactly Matt! Although in the UK it is slightly different than other countries as we don't have a SOFA with the UK as long as it is inside a US building the UK laws do not apply. Case in point I pay no taxes to the Queen on post and my child can attend (although he doesn't) American schools that do not answer to ofsted.

You might want to report the dentist to the medical association or some such. I remember one case when the denstist turned out to be unqualified! You dentist sounds completely useless!

Hope you feel better soon.

Edit: Sorry. Should have read further down before replying. :) I see Darksaber already recommended reporting the dentist!

Not so - US bases come under US Military jurisdiction, although criminal offences committed by US servicemen outside Base areas may be subject to Local authority (not in Iraq, Afghanistan etc where the governments have agreements that servicemen will be prosecuted by their own legal departments).
With regard to Medical services, US Military physicians adhere to US Dept of Health regulations, so you would file malpratice suits in accordance with US Law if required.
As a guest military dependent, you also have to option to see a local practioner in the UK or better still, see a UK MIlitary dentist (who are actually ahead of the curve, never mind up to speed, despite what civilian dentists might think).

I would stick with your US Military dentist and take action accordingly, as the standard of US dental care is (I'm ashamed to admit) the best in the world at present.
I visited a dentist at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan and despite it looking like a scene from MASH (it was in a pre-fab trailer with sides that folded out!!!), the USAF Colonel who treated me did a better job on my bridgework than anything I've encountered elsewhere.

You don't say where you're based though... report it to the Base Commander's office if you get no joy elsewhere.

Thats some protection your government gives to people who seem to have a license to do whatever they want in people's mouths. I wonder who makes sure they attend regular training and that their work is up to standard, rather worrying that.

..and to round all that off we didnt add your rss feed..

i feel sssooooooo bad

better luck next week then!

As a dependent I can file a sort of malpractice but it is not quite the same thing as it is in civilian world and penalities are capped. Also there is no way when the person goes into private practice later for anyone to get hold of these records as they are closed. So it is a bit scary! If I was still a service member I could not file any sort of malpractice at all! Trust me some of the Dr's in the Army are not first rate and I've known of a few that should have been kicked out post haste but were not.

As for this particular dentist it was a true mistake with the tooth and he is a fab dentist. He came clean with the fact that he went through the bottom of my root and showed me on the x-rays what had happened. As for the medication there is only one way to find out how sensitive you are to a drug and well I found out the hard way. So I'm not angry at the dentist I am just miserable for such a bad week.

Not so - US bases come under US Military jurisdiction, although criminal offences committed by US servicemen outside Base areas

You are absolutely correct but in the UK they are not US bases they are still RAF bases (although we all know they really aren't). so a different set of rules apply. In Germany when I go through the gates I am on American soil but here that is not the case and we have special laws regarding how it all works in the UK. I was JAG for a number of years and my husband still is. Not to mention I am actually at a post that doesn't "really" exist.... RAF Menwith Hill.

We drove past Menwith Hill on Sunday on the way to the Abbey, first time I've seen the golf balls in real life, I wanted to stop and take pictures but then we'd have been late.

We drove past Menwith Hill on Sunday on the way to the Abbey, first time I've seen the golf balls in real life, I wanted to stop and take pictures but then we'd have been late.

It is also against the law to take those pictures! There are some great sunsets including them and I keep wanting to ask for permission to take pics of it but it is quite a rigamarole to get through for permission.

The one thing you still cannot do is photograph MoD property, even from a public area. Some RAF veterans tried to take some photos of the fake plastic Spitfire on our front gate at Uxbridge a while ago and were told to stop what they were doing by the MoD Police.
Even though you can get the lat/long to the nearest metre on Google Earth...

Back