Weekend in the Lakes

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I spent an enjoyable couple of days at the Lakes at the weekend. Not ideal weather I'm afraid, lots of flat grey cloud and rain but I did manage to see a few breaks. The sun is quite harsh on some I'm afraid, but hopefully they convey the feel of Autumn. I'd appreciate your critique. I'd also like to know which Grasmere shot seems to work the best, I can't decide!

Thanks Steve.

1) Castlerigg
Castlerigg Stone Circle by Steve Babb, on Flickr
2) Castlerigg
Castlerigg Stone Circle by Steve Babb, on Flickr
3) Grasmere
Grasmere Lake by Steve Babb, on Flickr
4) Grasmere 2
5) Chapel Stile
The Langdales by Steve Babb, on Flickr
6) Chapel Stile
7) Watendlath Falls
Watendlath Falls by Steve Babb, on Flickr
8) Watendlath Falls
Watendlath Falls by Steve Babb, on Flickr

The megalithic presences supported by the soft tones and dramatic
light is giving a real out of time magic and are my favourites!

Nice set Steve

Very nice set of images. I like the low viewpoint on the Castlerigg shot.

Thanks for the comments, would have loved some better weather, but quite happy with what I got given the limited gaps in the rain!

Love the entire set but in particular the standing stones - the light and composition in the second shot combine to make a really beautiful image! Outstanding :)

I reckon the first is possibly the best, in theory the light is better in the second picture but I think you need a sense of mystery at Castlerigg which you lose with direct light.

You had some great light in between the rain at Grasmere and the Langdales. I think you needed a longer lens for Grasmere though as all the action is appearing far away. I prefer the first picture of the two as it does away with the slightly messy right hand side. It looks like the natural focal point of these should be where the house and slightly round fell are on the RHS. A long lens would've got you closer to that, maybe a portrait orientation could work. I reckon Grasmere is a bit tricky to photograph, nearby Rydal Water seems slightly easier as there are a few more focal points around the lake.

The first Langdale picture is better for me as the light is shining on the right places, drawing attention to the midground. It's not quite doing that in the second. A square or portrait crop eliminating the left side might help draw attention to the best parts of the composition, the right hand side again with the house and the Pikes in the background.

The waterfall pictures are nice enough, I don't think they're really showing much of autumn though.

I reckon the first is possibly the best, in theory the light is better in the second picture but I think you need a sense of mystery at Castlerigg which you lose with direct light.

You had some great light in between the rain at Grasmere and the Langdales. I think you needed a longer lens for Grasmere though as all the action is appearing far away. I prefer the first picture of the two as it does away with the slightly messy right hand side. It looks like the natural focal point of these should be where the house and slightly round fell are on the RHS. A long lens would've got you closer to that, maybe a portrait orientation could work. I reckon Grasmere is a bit tricky to photograph, nearby Rydal Water seems slightly easier as there are a few more focal points around the lake.

The first Langdale picture is better for me as the light is shining on the right places, drawing attention to the midground. It's not quite doing that in the second. A square or portrait crop eliminating the left side might help draw attention to the best parts of the composition, the right hand side again with the house and the Pikes in the background.

The waterfall pictures are nice enough, I don't think they're really showing much of autumn though.

Thanks for the well constructed feedback. Yes, I also wished I had taken something a little closer at Grasmere. I tried a crop, but it starts to lose resolution, anyway here it is:

I also have a portrait, but probably should have used a longer FL.

Here are two Langdales with a longer FL, what do you think?

1)

2)

Regards,
Steve

If you walk up to loughrig terrace you can get some good shots of Grasmere, the only problem in autumn and winter is the light does not come over the hill till mid afternoon so the lefthand side is always in the shade. You will like what you see if you make the effort especially as the leaves are changing.

Back