Weekly Tech Debate - Opinions?????

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
There's a huge pool of talent on this forum, but at the moment the collective knowledge is spread out over several threads, and good advice is getting lost in off topic discussions that won't always be easy to find. Likewise, since the loss of James' tutorial, there is no central resource to point beginners, and others seeking advice, towards.

Therefore my proposal is that we have a weekly discussion thread running from Monday through to Friday concentrating on one particular topic, such as methods for achieving correct exposure, Composition/Cropping, White Balance, Captioning Methodology, Pitchside Workflow, Career Developement, PP Ethics etc etc etc, that will build up over time to produce a compendium of collective wisdom in the same way that the Stadium sticky works. Ideally the discussion would apply to all photojournalistic forms, rather than just Sport, but that in itself could be discussed.

It was shown in Scoccersnapper's 'goodbye' that this sort of thread can produce some first class debate and knowledge sharing, which is the overall intention.

After a couple of topics we can create an Index thread, ask Yv to sticky it, and add as time goes on.

If everyone agrees we could kick off this coming Monday.

Thoughts on whether this is a good idea, and which subjects you'd like to see appear please?

Looking at this from a newbie point of view, it's a fantastic idea, to be able to tap into the vast knowledge will be invaluable.

James' tutorial was a great testament to this. As for starter topics, PP is a minefield for me, career development is a great idea too, but don't think too much info will be or should be passed on. If people want to create a career from their pics, they should be savvy enough to explore the business section on here and in the 'real' world.

Looking forward to other's thoughts.

Phil.

Thanks for the replies regarding my tutorial.

It was removed a couple of weeks ago as it was determined by a former employer that it was a little too similar to their "on the job" training.

It also coincided with my mini-huff about various issues as well...which is why I chose to remove it at that time.

In it's current form I'm afraid it won't be re-appearing.

Strange really.

It was removed a couple of weeks ago as it was determined by a former employer that it was a little too similar to their "on the job" training.

It also coincided with my mini-huff about various issues as well...which is why I chose to remove it at that time.

Strange really.

not sure what to say.......

welcome back :shrug:

ah be damned - come here and give us a hug :LOL:

Disappointing as it was that tutorial that got me signed up on here and the amount of stuff I learnt off it was incredible.

Made very good reading even on its umpteenth read

Didn't anybody "download" it to read later ;):D

Better add that I think this "tech debate" is a good idea, lots of things get lost or repeated in posts.

Last edited:
Didn't anybody "download" it to read later ;):D

Better add that I think this "tech debate" is a good idea, lots of things get lost or repeated in posts.

Yes I did..:D.(y)

If we get advice that I have had from the top guys on here then bring it on.(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on whether this is a good idea, and which subjects you'd like to see appear please?

Shooting in low light conditions would be a good starter as we all seem to be in the same boat at the moment.

:muted: :LOL:

Just noticed you got 4 Phil, so were equal now.:p:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange really.

So we'll have to take you're advice on captioning and originality with a pinch of salt then? :D

It's a shame about the tutorial, but completely understandable. I hope that you'll be able to give you're input into the discussions because you not only have a lot of valuable experience, but you also write well.

brilliant idea

i for one will try to help where i can from the knowledge i have picked up off here

i recently started several threads and had various people getting involved , especially the one's that were also curious about the same subject ,

james i have already printed your thread off a while back and use it now and again for refrence and find it very very handy thanks

Good idea.

Perhaps the first topic for discussion should be how to register multiple accounts to accommodate your split personality.

Mark from Preston can be guest speaker :D

Another vote for 'low light' being the 1st topic.
Us newbies need every bit of help we can get and I greatly appreciate all you experienced photographers taking time out to help us out.
The tutorial James posted was a very informative read and it's a pity it is no longer available on this site.

Sounds good.
A topic I would like to see.

What you do after you have taken the shot (other than take another), work flow etc other than cropping what else is done to the images?

If everyone agrees we could kick off this coming Monday.

You got the backing.. You even got the first subject.. then you never did it.. What happened?

Back