'Well used' - experiences buying SH under this description

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
To date I have only bought from used photography sites [MPB, WEX, Park cameras etc.. ] under 'Like new', 'excellent' or at the very least 'good'. Only had one problem, bought a lens that was tagged 'good' but when it showed up it was a disaster. The MF focus ring was unusable, the zoom action [it was a tele lens, 100-300] was jerky at best, there was marks and dents to the body of the lens and hood etc ... of course i sent it back, and they sent out a replacement - which was what I would describe as 'mint'. They were covering their rears perhaps, but it was a huge difference in quality over the first copy they tried to pawn off on me.

So my question is, what is your experience in taking a chance on gear that was labelled "well used" with descriptions such as:

"This lens shows significant signs of use. The lens barrel shows some heavy cosmetic marks. The focus ring shows signs of wear. This lens has moisture within the internal elements"

Say the images of the lens don't show any signs of such, do you think they might exaggerate the condition to cover themselves? Have you ever took the chance and landed a gem of a bargain? Wipe of a cloth, bit of T&C and your 'well used' suddenly looks to be 'good'?

Last edited:
I find that honest descriptions of private seller and the reinvented language of the small time business sellers have absolutely nothing in common. In fact the latter my as well be written in Chinese because it hardly makes any sense at all like you say.

So it could either mean something that has had good use and shows a few minor signs here and there or it could be a total piece of garbage thrown around the concrete and held together by selotape. You have to see it in person if you still want to go ahead. I bought one well used 1ds2 from here and it served me extremely well despite minor loss of paint. The shutter also survived its time despite Moon mileage. It just shows pro tools are built to be used in all conditions.
If you can pay more for as new one then just do that.

I find that honest descriptions of private seller and the reinvented language of the small time business sellers have absolutely nothing in common. In fact the latter my as well be written in Chinese because it hardly makes any sense at all like you say.

So it could either mean something that has had good use and shows a few minor signs here and there or it could be a total piece of garbage thrown around the concrete and held together by selotape. You have to see it in person if you still want to go ahead. I bought one well used 1ds2 from here and it served me extremely well despite minor loss of paint. The shutter also survived its time despite Moon mileage. It just shows pro tools are built to be used in all conditions.
If you can pay more for as new one then just do that.

Private sellers are one thing, I would only ever consider buying from someone online after seeing some images and checking their rep, I don't really do ebay - I'm talking more big sites that have used sections, like Wex, MPB, Park etc . Will clarify that in the OP, but that's what I meant by used photography sites

anything you buy from ebay is returnable under any circumstance if you complain to ebay that you're not happy with the condition, the seller is forced to refund you and pay for the return postage, and of course they will because otherwise they have the money taken out their account and they also dont have the item, so, for as much as private sales always say 'no returns' pay no mind to that, ebay have your back, always, the sellers are the 2nd class citizens on ebay, the customer is always right- which is odd, because ebay make their money from sellers fees whether the item sells or not, so I really have no idea why they're so in the favour of the buyer, I think they just want to promote security for buyers who are ultimately buying used gear without being able to see it first

where are you getting this from???

it costs money to put something on ebay? so, if the item never sells, ebay still get their listing fee, fees for additional images, listing highlights etc, then if the item sells, they get a final value fee too

I have bought several lenses from the Classifieds here on Talk Photography and without any problems whatsoever but I will only buy gear which is in excellent condition and from someone with an excellent record.

Many people trust eBay but I don't unless I already know who I am buying from, which is rare.

I have traded used gear with Wex and have always found that they are trustworthy and reliable. Their 30-day return policy covers problems.

With regard to e-bay, I've never had a problem getting my money back on the odd occasion when I've received an unsatisfactory/not as described item. It's a nuisance going through the system but I regard it as a cast iron guarantee.

on the flipside as a seller i've had legitimate nightmares, last week I had someone ask me to post the camera to their son for their birthday (different address but same surname), asked to post asap because their birthday was in 2 days, I mark it as dispatched but unfortunately I actually miss the post so I vow to ship the next day and start writing an apology email, I see a complaint from the buyer saying their account was used without their permission (i.e. they were hacked and the 'hacker' asked me to send it to their address), ebay take their side immediately and pull the money out my account, if I had posted the item I would have zero protection from ebay or paypal as I didnt send it to the registered address so I would be on my own to figure it out with the police, highly likely i'd never see the camera again and the buyer had been refunded automatically without any investigation so I would have been seriously out of pocket- I think with these scams people assume they're a victimless crime where they're stealing from ebay, it doesnt work like that ebay never take the hit they always pass it back to the seller ime

ebay selling horror stories aside, as a buyer you're always safe you just got to check it over within the 30 days of receiving it

on the flipside as a seller i've had legitimate nightmares, last week I had someone ask me to post the camera to their son for their birthday (different address but same surname), asked to post asap because their birthday was in 2 days, I mark it as dispatched but unfortunately I actually miss the post so I vow to ship the next day and start writing an apology email, I see a complaint from the buyer saying their account was used without their permission (i.e. they were hacked and the 'hacker' asked me to send it to their address), ebay take their side immediately and pull the money out my account, if I had posted the item I would have zero protection from ebay or paypal as I didnt send it to the registered address so I would be on my own to figure it out with the police, highly likely i'd never see the camera again and the buyer had been refunded automatically without any investigation so I would have been seriously out of pocket- I think with these scams people assume they're a victimless crime where they're stealing from ebay, it doesnt work like that ebay never take the hit they always pass it back to the seller ime

That breaches eBay's 'Seller Protection Policy' though, so no surprise you are on your own in those circumstances. :)

That breaches eBay's 'Seller Protection Policy' though, so no surprise you are on your own in those circumstances. :)

but when someone buys a camera off you and asks you to post it to their son to meet a deadline in 2 hours your first thought isn't to check the small print, it's to make sure you don't ruin a kids birthday aha
I did have a slightly fishy feeling about it and I did some reading but only after I missed the post for that day, when she bought it (full price without making an offer), I assumed she did that because it was A the cheapest one on ebay at the time, and B she was banking on a private seller being able to get it in the post asap? We spoke a bit about the camera through messages so it felt quite legit, her account had been active for about 4 years too so maybe she was hacked, it's impossible to know for sure

Cosmetic problems wouldn't concern me, if the price reflected it. I would be more concerned with optical issues (large dust, scratches, fungus, moisture etc) and mechanical issues. As far as risk, if buying from one of the online retailers there is no risk as you can return within 14 days if you're not happy with it.

Probably along the same lines as "needs some modernisation or in other words uninhabitable"

Other end of the scale puts me off too if it contains the words minty, minted, minter or just mint, even worse a combination such as "minty mint"

but when someone buys a camera off you and asks you to post it to their son to meet a deadline in 2 hours your first thought isn't to check the small print, it's to make sure you don't ruin a kids birthday aha
I did have a slightly fishy feeling about it and I did some reading but only after I missed the post for that day, when she bought it (full price without making an offer), I assumed she did that because it was A the cheapest one on ebay at the time, and B she was banking on a private seller being able to get it in the post asap? We spoke a bit about the camera through messages so it felt quite legit, her account had been active for about 4 years too so maybe she was hacked, it's impossible to know for sure

Always, always check the selling/buying history, the auction layout style etc.
Look for anything that shows a change in usual account activity e.g. someone who has always sold/bought cheap jewellery suddenly has a Nikon 600 f4 for sale/wants to buy ... it could be legit but in those circumstances keep absolutely 'to the letter'.

I've always found retailer used grading slightly odd. As soon as you drop below Excellent it probably means it's absolutely battered, particularly for cameras as that can mean grips are hanging off, mushy buttons etc.

Good is certainly not how you would use the word 'Good' in daily life in my experience. I have a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 to sell, it looks well used as paint has chipped off due to it tapping other lenses in my bag for the last few years. Optically and functionally it's perfect and the glass is unmarked, but as it doesn't look great cosmetically I fear it will fall into the territory reserved for lenses with element defects etc. Those sorts of lenses are the best buy in my opinion in terms of value, as they are heavily penalised but functionally perfect.

I've always found retailer used grading slightly odd. As soon as you drop below Excellent it probably means it's absolutely battered, particularly for cameras as that can mean grips are hanging off, mushy buttons etc.

Good is certainly not how you would use the word 'Good' in daily life in my experience. I have a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 to sell, it looks well used as paint has chipped off due to it tapping other lenses in my bag for the last few years. Optically and functionally it's perfect and the glass is unmarked, but as it doesn't look great cosmetically I fear it will fall into the territory reserved for lenses with element defects etc. Those sorts of lenses are the best buy in my opinion in terms of value, as they are heavily penalised but functionally perfect.

When I've bought from MPB and Ffordes in the past I've basically had the opposite experience. In that they have marked things down a category or two for stuff that I honestly wouldn't have noticed. On the flipside, I bought a D700 from a Jungley retailer that forgot to mention that half the rubber grips were falling off. Think it depends where you buy.

ebay selling horror stories aside, as a buyer you're always safe you just got to check it over within the 30 days of receiving it

An ex GF of mine had several sites selling this and that and sold through evil bay and the horror stories she told me convinced me to never ever sell through evil bay. It's shocking how dishonest and blatantly so people can be. She said EB was a lot better years ago but going by the experiences she related I do think that things have swung too far in favour of the buyer to the point that if you're a bent buyer it's way too easy to be dishonest and get away with it with zero consequences.

An ex GF of mine had several sites selling this and that and sold through evil bay and the horror stories she told me convinced me to never ever sell through evil bay. It's shocking how dishonest and blatantly so people can be. She said EB was a lot better years ago but going by the experiences she related I do think that things have swung too far in favour of the buyer to the point that if you're a bent buyer it's way too easy to be dishonest and get away with it with zero consequences.

I used to sell loads of stuff on ebay. I still use it now as a last resort but it has massively lost it's appeal. Great for buying though.

TBH I always email the store and ask for a detailed description first, they are usually pretty accurate and you get a much better idea than just "excellent" or "good" (y)

If you’re happy to go against the seller protection rules you really shouldn’t be complaining that you wouldn’t be protected in the event of an issue.

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse either, you need to make sure you understand the selling procedure of eBay (and Paypal) before actually selling.

only once had a problem with e.bay a person bought a filter off me it sold for 50p plus p&p and the buyer claimed they didn't receive it ,despite re-selling on there site later that week ,unfortunately e/bay sided with them ,since then even the cheapest items are sent signed for delivery .. apart from that never a problem I describe everything in the finest detail , and have never had a item back I have a 1500 plus 100% positive feedback rating to.

there are a few fantasies in this thread though e/bay dont charge for selling unless the item sells or unless you put a unreasonable reserve on a item . and there are lots of special weekends every month where final value fees are £1 or £3 max thats the time to sell the high priced goods . in retrospect I ALWAYS find that even after fees I get a far higher price than the chancers on here expect you to sell for .i.e a recent canon camera and lens I was selling garnered a offer of £170 pounds on here and I got £300+ for it on e/bay , total no brainer .

as for Keiths question if I was buying a lens or camera used I would only buy from the likes of wex who offer a full years warranty and a no quibble replacement or refund policy well worth the few bob extra you pay

eBay don't always help the seller.

I bought a set of Interfit studio lights a few years ago from eBay and they arrived with the modeling lights broken as the seller's packaging was practically non existant. Also 1 head didn't fire.

So I lodged a complaint and sent the item back to the seller.

The post office tried to deliver it but he was out so the item was taken back to the sorting office and a card was left at his address.

He refused to collect the parcel from the sorting office and, as eBay stated the item had not been returned to him, wouldn't reimburse me.

To cut a long story short I found out where he worked, ensured he was there and asked the sorting office to deliver it to his work address (I kept eBay informed all the way).

Eventually I got my money back.

There is no recognised standard for grading and as we all have different priorities one person's good could be another person's trash, e.g. I usually care more about how well something works that its cosmetic condition but someone else might be bothered by a few scratches to the case etc.
As a seller I always try to be accurate, best to let the buyer make their own mind up on what they consider acceptable but even so mistakes still happen.

With regard to e-bay, I've never had a problem getting my money back on the odd occasion when I've received an unsatisfactory/not as described item. It's a nuisance going through the system but I regard it as a cast iron guarantee.

For the most part yes eBay is very good at resolving problems but I've had a few weird ones, for example I once bought a head listed as used but untested, it was completely faulty but eBay wouldn't acknowledge it was faulty (my point being you can't sell something as working condition if it's faulty), which is fine if that's how they reason about these things but then I once sold a reflector and stated very clearly that the stand wasn't included yet eBay ruled for the buyer. Either's fine (I guess) but both seems a little contradictory.

The worst example I can think of was when I sold a head to someone in the USA, it arrived damaged but eBay wouldn't cover it because the buyer had trouble sending payment with his card but then it processed once he'd updated PayPal, the buyer was completely innocent yet they let him down, I think if he'd kept at it and got someone besides a first level support grunt he'd have been fine but no one should have to fight that hard for a guarantee they promise.

So my conclusion on eBay is you should be fine but they have some very poor internal systems and you have to work at it sometimes. As a seller you're often on your own (eBay has stepped up notably a few times for me though).

eBay don't always help the seller.

He refused to collect the parcel from the sorting office and, as eBay stated the item had not been returned to him, wouldn't reimburse me.

I had the same thing once but when they refused to collect it eBay just refunded me in full, the courier eventually sent the heads back to me and they're still sitting in a box a couple of years later because the seller won't respond to my requests to accept them back (anyone want some old Interfit heads? :p).

I have traded used gear with Wex and have always found that they are trustworthy and reliable. Their 30-day return policy covers problems.

I've had a few problems with Wex, faulty items or inaccurate descriptions but that doesn't bother me, the more you do something the more mistakes will occur. The most important part for me is what they do when there's a problem and to date they haven't let me down; for whatever that's worth.

only once had a problem with e.bay a person bought a filter off me it sold for 50p plus p&p and the buyer claimed they didn't receive it ,despite re-selling on there site later that week

I generally find it's best not to bother with low value items, there seems to be a weird inverse rule where the lower the value the more demanding the buyer becomes.

That wouldn't do for me.
"Well used" shouldn't mean trashed and should be well reflected in price.

This is the one that had me thinking the most, the moisture inside. I sent away a lens for trade and the same site sent a message saying it had moisture on the inner elements, had them send it back and examined it personally and could not find a drop. It may have evaporated in transport or they were using this to knock the value down. I ended up selling it privately and for more for it.

It was a 2.8 zoom lens I've been eyeing for a while, price was significantly knocked down and was tempting bar that description. None of the images they displayed showed any wear and tear, makes me wonder if they're using the right pics.

Probably along the same lines as "needs some modernisation or in other words uninhabitable"

Other end of the scale puts me off too if it contains the words minty, minted, minter or just mint, even worse a combination such as "minty mint"

I hate the minty thing too. Especially descriptions like "camera is mint, only 2 years old with some paint wear and a scratch on the LCD" :rolleyes: wonder if the seller would eat a mint off the ground that had just a little mould growing in it :D

In 2011 I bought a used Canon 100-400 from one of the used dealers mention.
There was a problem with it auto focusing so it went back to them for repair
It took just over 2 weeks for them to get it repaired and sent back to me.
In hindsight I should have either asked for a replacement or a refund as I had received it faulty.
Cosmetically the lens was worse than advertised, there was a long scratch mark down the barrel which seemed to be caused by the push pull mechanism.
I've recently sold some gear to the same company but I will never buy from them again as they don't show photos of the items on their website.
There is no doubt in my mind that the lens had not been tested before they sold it.
Nowadays I either look in the classified section on here or use ebay.
Being a bit savvy with ebay and asking the right questions makes a difference and it is possible to get a bargain without too much effort.

Last edited:
This is the one that had me thinking the most, the moisture inside. I sent away a lens for trade and the same site sent a message saying it had moisture on the inner elements, had them send it back and examined it personally and could not find a drop. It may have evaporated in transport or they were using this to knock the value down. I ended up selling it privately and for more for it.

It was a 2.8 zoom lens I've been eyeing for a while, price was significantly knocked down and was tempting bar that description. None of the images they displayed showed any wear and tear, makes me wonder if they're using the right pics.

Moisture is something I'd avoid. Dust, not a biggie. Most lenses, particularly zooms get dust in them.
Even the odd scratch isn't a deal breaker for me. I bought a lens off here that was described as having a scratch on the front element. Sure enough it did, it was only 5mm long and I haven't seen it affect my images in the 3 years I've been using it.
I'm currently looking at used 70-200mm lenses and due to tight budget, only the "well used" are affordable, but I will still be wary of certain issues in the descriptions.
If you're buying from a retailer, you do have a much easier time if you want to return a faulty item. Even though ebay does have systems in place, they are pain sometimes.

I always think, if it looks too good to be true (eg: too low a price or described as "mint") then it probably is.

Moisture is something I'd avoid. Dust, not a biggie. Most lenses, particularly zooms get dust in them.
Even the odd scratch isn't a deal breaker for me. I bought a lens off here that was described as having a scratch on the front element. Sure enough it did, it was only 5mm long and I haven't seen it affect my images in the 3 years I've been using it.
I'm currently looking at used 70-200mm lenses and due to tight budget, only the "well used" are affordable, but I will still be wary of certain issues in the descriptions.
If you're buying from a retailer, you do have a much easier time if you want to return a faulty item. Even though ebay does have systems in place, they are pain sometimes.

I always think, if it looks too good to be true (eg: too low a price or described as "mint") then it probably is.

The lens is still there today, they usually fly out when they go for so little. This tells me others are very wary too, nobody taking the chance, and it'll be that moisture that's most off putting. There's disputes ongoing between buyers and this site in particular, as on their T&C they state you only have a 7 day turn-around, which is against EU legislation. They are supposed to update this, but have yet to. That makes me more wary, as they can take up to 3-4 days to even ship items. For the sake of £100 I'll skip this one and wait for a deal on one at least in 'good' condition.

The lens is still there today, they usually fly out when they go for so little. This tells me others are very wary too, nobody taking the chance, and it'll be that moisture that's most off putting. There's disputes ongoing between buyers and this site in particular, as on their T&C they state you only have a 7 day turn-around, which is against EU legislation*. They are supposed to update this, but have yet to. That makes me more wary, as they can take up to 3-4 days to even ship items. For the sake of £100 I'll skip this one and wait for a deal on one at least in 'good' condition.

*UK law

;)

EU for me as I don't live in the UK

OK.

Though you’re right, they’re being incredibly weaselly, it’s approaching 2 months since that thread was made and they’ve promised to rectify but never have.

OK.

Though you’re right, they’re being incredibly weaselly, it’s approaching 2 months since that thread was made and they’ve promised to rectify but never have.

It's strange, it would take 2 minutes for whoever has Admin privileges on their site to change the wording. But, there is indeed a thread about this in their own section [MPB for anyone who didn't guess, and as that is being discussed on this very forum I guess it's ok to mention who] so wont go more into that. It does turn me off taking the chance on something "well used" though. It takes that bit longer for packages to reach me here in Ireland, often 2-3 days longer, so a 7 day turn around is way too tight.

I think the general consensus here is steer clear of well used unless you can inspect the goods in person.

If you’re happy to go against the seller protection rules you really shouldn’t be complaining that you wouldn’t be protected in the event of an issue.

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse either, you need to make sure you understand the selling procedure of eBay (and Paypal) before actually selling.

i've been active on ebay since about 2002 and until now I have never come across the fact that you have to send to the registered address for seller protection, as a buyer i've asked for it to be shipped to a different address multiple times, I was moving between home and a new flat so I would ask for it to be sent to the new flat or vice versa, i'd be working away and get it sent there instead, i'd get it shipped to a friend I was staying with, countless times i've had something shipped to a new address, never had anyone bring it up so when someone asked me to do the same I thought nothing of it

I've just bought a back up body on here but while I was at it I checked out Wex and Mpb for the same item. I took "near mint" as just that but it was the "good" rating that floored me.
If someone had shown me one like that they'd bought as "good" I'd have had to keep my mouth buttoned.
Scuffs all over the place and the majority of the LCD screens were battered beyond belief. I've yet to see an "average" rating but that would be more appropriate.

it costs money to put something on ebay? so, if the item never sells, ebay still get their listing fee, fees for additional images, listing highlights etc, then if the item sells, they get a final value fee too

With so many promotions going on it is mostly FREE to list anything but cars and real estate. Wait for the weekend promo and final value fees are either £1 or £3.

Maybe time is your big expense but that is another story. If you make so much money you must be shooting ads for directly for major fashion labels or have your own legal firm....

If that doesn't ring all the alarm bells immediately and you run off playing the scammers script because they hit an emotional cord... well ebay is not the one to blame. There will be many many sides and angles where the scammers will come from and get you. What if someone rang you and told your wife / husband is in trouble and they need money asap?

i've been active on ebay since about 2002 and until now I have never come across the fact that you have to send to the registered address for seller protection, as a buyer i've asked for it to be shipped to a different address multiple times, I was moving between home and a new flat so I would ask for it to be sent to the new flat or vice versa, i'd be working away and get it sent there instead, i'd get it shipped to a friend I was staying with, countless times i've had something shipped to a new address, never had anyone bring it up so when someone asked me to do the same I thought nothing of it

What is wrong with proactively reading terms of service particularly where a lot money is concerned? Stuff like you credit card contract, PayPal seller agreement, mortgage documents, insurance policy and all that.... You don't have to wait for bad things to happen while just hoping that it will be fine this time.

This all is really intended as a public service announcement and not a dig at yourself by the way.

You're only supposed to send to the address specified with the payment, if you send to another address it makes it easy to exploit (either for the buyer or seller) so if it goes to a claim you'll probably lose out.

Same thing with accepting PayPal payments and then letting someone collect in person, if they say you never gave it to them then it's getting refunded as you have no proof.

I've just bought a back up body on here but while I was at it I checked out Wex and Mpb for the same item. I took "near mint" as just that but it was the "good" rating that floored me.
If someone had shown me one like that they'd bought as "good" I'd have had to keep my mouth buttoned.
Scuffs all over the place and the majority of the LCD screens were battered beyond belief. I've yet to see an "average" rating but that would be more appropriate.

I believe "good" is their equivalent of "just barely in once piece and still working". I think it is the lowest rating before going all the way to "spares or repair". They are literally reinventing the language using doublethink and getting rid of anything sounding even vaguely negative like "average", "poor", "scuffed". If anyone could be bothered it could be challenged as false advertising even if they provide explanation table for their unpredictable interpretations of common English words.

One of my many x100’s from MPB was sold to me in Good condition,I sold it back to them a couple or so weeks later they judged it as well used,a quick phone call soon received an apology ,they gave me the good condition price but kept the well used rating to sell,they had obviously as I thought on receiving the camera initially rated it wrongly.
I think with high amount of stock and a number of staff it’s most likely a genuine error but one needs to be aware.

Last edited:
Back