Wellies.

Name
ALLY
Edit My Images
Yes
What wellies do you use, looking to buy a new pair so trying to figure out the best ones that do not cost a fortune. Budget would be about £100 ish. Good and bad reviews would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have only ever owned one pair of wellies so I am hardly an expert but I like the ones I got...Muck Boots. I got a camo pair from a nearby gun shooting range when they were on special, cost £49.99.

Literally walked for miles in them, very comfortable and they are excellent on slippery ice and snow...easy to get on and off. I'd certainly buy another pair.

I have only ever owned one pair of wellies so I am hardly an expert but I like the ones I got...Muck Boots. I got a camo pair from a nearby gun shooting range when they were on special, cost £49.99.

Literally walked for miles in them, very comfortable and they are excellent on slippery ice and snow...easy to get on and off. I'd certainly buy another pair.

I surmise they are the full length version?

What about the Ankle height ones for more moderate conditions in winter where general protection is needed? Oh, and just how warm are they when combined with a decent autumn thermal sock?

I haven't bought a pair for years, but I just pop into the local builders merchant and get a pair from there, I think I paid about £20 last time.

Muck boots.

Thanks folks for giving me something to think about, will have to look at muck boots since they seem to be up for the job.

I surmise they are the full length version?

What about the Ankle height ones for more moderate conditions in winter where general protection is needed? Oh, and just how warm are they when combined with a decent autumn thermal sock?

Mine are full length (similar or same as Woody Max model)...the ankle "boots" seem okay as well but I have never tried them on...I wanted something longer for passing through deeper water without them filling up...

Depends on what you are wanting them for. Not much walking and standing around in puddles go for something cheap.If you want to walk in them you are best to check them out and see how they fit your feet. My first pair of Hunters lasted over 14 years, had 2 pairs in 4 years would not buy then again. Iended up with some cotswolds, £46

Depends on what you are wanting them for. Not much walking and standing around in puddles go for something cheap.If you want to walk in them you are best to check them out and see how they fit your feet. My first pair of Hunters lasted over 14 years, had 2 pairs in 4 years would not buy then again. Iended up with some cotswolds, £46

My sister, a horsey person who knows a thing or two about wellies, said that Hunter were bought out or shifted their production (can't remember which) in the mid naughties and since then they've been rubbish.

I have some midrange Dunlops which are good for the farm but wouldn't want to walk miles in them.

My sister, a horsey person who knows a thing or two about wellies, said that Hunter were bought out or shifted their production (can't remember which) in the mid naughties and since then they've been rubbish.

I have some midrange Dunlops which are good for the farm but wouldn't want to walk miles in them.

Agree - I bought my originals in the late 80s and they survived all weathers in teh US and were comfortable to walk in. Bought new ones when I moved back to the UK and two pairs split within18 months of buying them.Overpriced IMHO

Le chameau are quite possibly the best boots I've owned . Had the same pair for 10 years with 4 years of that beating on an estate so plenty of miles covered . They are like new, very warm , never leaked and would happily go hiking up a mountain in them as they are like a pair of slippers on. They were expensive but in 10 years I probably would have been on my 5th pair if I'd bought anything else .

Le chameau are quite possibly the best boots I've owned . Had the same pair for 10 years with 4 years of that beating on an estate so plenty of miles covered . They are like new, very warm , never leaked and would happily go hiking up a mountain in them as they are like a pair of slippers on. They were expensive but in 10 years I probably would have been on my 5th pair if I'd bought anything else .
I'll also vote for Le Chameau as the best I've had for walking in -- they were the cheapest version, not tried the neoprene.

For Muck boots do you order your normal size?

Found mine to be a little big from my normal size but I use thermal boot liner

The neoprene muck boots I have (the down to -40 degree kind) recommend only medium thick socks.

Muck boots, warm and comfy

Muck boots here to warm as toast and don't wear out

I love my Aigle Parcours 2 Iso wellies. Expensive but got them on sale... lovely and warm, and comfortable enough for all day hiking around in them, unlike every other pair I've tried, which feel terrible after an hour or so.

Both Aigle and Le Chameau are good for walking in my experience. Better shape in some way.

Last edited:
I love my Aigle Parcours 2 Iso wellies. Expensive but got them on sale... lovely and warm, and comfortable enough for all day hiking around in them, unlike every other pair I've tried, which feel terrible after an hour or so.
Oh yes. Superb boots. Always wear them when I'm not on tarmac. As you say they can be pricey but worth every penny. Never yet had cold, or even cool, feet when wearing them.
Not really wellies at all. And they have a superb tread on them.

Back