West Coast of Scotland.......Golf & Sunsets

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Evening folks

Ok so theres a story behind this post.....

I had a customer who approached me who was interested in getting a sunset shot on the first green at Royal Troon with the sun setting behind the hills of Arran, I had a look and by luck the sun sets pretty much right where I needed it to. So Wed night I set off to do a quick rekki on location/set up etc and when I arrived realised I had to cut across some of the course and pretty much set up at the side of the green, not wanting to get in any bother I asked a couple of golfers if it would be ok to take some shots, they said as long as I wasn't in the way of anyone playing then it would be fine, after this group of golfers I didn't see any other players, I hung about with the tripod set up and fired off a few shots to get my composition right but the sunset wasn't anything great so I packed up and came home. Thursday night I set off again with the weather looking good for a cracking sunset, drove to Troon and parked up just around 8.45pm, walked over to the side of the 1st green and set up the tripod in the long rough making sure not to puncture any fairway or green with the legs, fired off a few tester shots then stood back to wait on some colour, just as the sun was about to drop behind the hills and light up the clouds I got the loudest shout ever of "Get of the f***ing course" with major hand gestures and arm waving from a guy in a club blazer and tie etc etc. I had to pack up and leave in a rush so only managed to fire off one decent shot which has major lens flare on it!

So 3 questions really....

1. Can you trespass on a golf course in Scotland? I'm aware of the Right to Roam law but not sure if that applies to courses?

2.Is this shot decent enough to sit and work on removing the lens flare? How do I go about doing that or is it just not worth the hassle? My customer wants the shot blown up to almost poster size so I'm a bit nervous to start working on the shot if its going to show up on the print??

3. Do i bite the bullet and risk trying for another shot and getting in to more trouble??

Shot below, I've processed it as much as I can before i need to remover the lens flare

Thanks for looking and apologies for the long post......I'm a bit annoyed how it all fell to bits!

Scott

DSC_0523.jpg

Afraid Royal Troon is a private members only club.

You've obviously encountered a serious jobsworth.

Personally, I would try again watching out for jobsworths. At least you know your approximate setup now so should be able to get in and out quickly.

Yeah thats what I thought to be honest, I may even email the club and ask if its possible to come down but then its just down to a timing issue and watching the weather!!

Yeah thats what I thought to be honest, I may even email the club and ask if its possible to come down but then its just down to a timing issue and watching the weather!!

The other nearby courses (Lochgreen, Darley, Fullarton) are all public and would be no problem for you.

If you go on the Lochgreen course from the 2nd hole to the 8th, your parallel to Royal Troon and could get some great pics of some holes /greens. Not the one your after though.

Dougie.

Last edited:
Thanks Dougie, my customer wants the view at the first on Troon as I think it's got some sentimental reasons behind it! Need to invest in a full camo outfit [emoji23]

Although it's a private members course, there is a path across the course that members of the public can access.
Right of access applies to golf courses, including Royal Troon, with the exception of the greens.
I'd go back, and if the t*** in the blazer turns up swearing, tell him to politely go away. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Dougie, my customer wants the view at the first on Troon as I think it's got some sentimental reasons behind it! Need to invest in a full camo outfit [emoji23]

If you explain exactly what you want fixed on the image you posted and email the original to me, pretty sure I could photoshop to customer acceptable standards.

Dougie.

p.s. Your shot would be complete with me firing in a 7 iron from 150 yards on the left of the pic, potential pics are amazing lol :)

Last edited:
I have another shot without flare in it but it's a different size, I'm watching YouTube videos on how to mask in another image [emoji106]

Although it's a private members course, there is a path across the course that members of the public can access.
Right of access applies to golf courses, including Royal Troon, with the exception of the greens.
I'd go back, and if the t*** in the blazer turns up swearing, tell him to politely go away. :)

I did think about quoting the Right to Roam access and starting a bit of a discussion.......but also didn't fancy a night in the Troon Constabulary [emoji23]

Why not just pop into the club house and ask the pro or club chairman for permission and give them an explanation of what you would like to achieve?
Sadly plenty of golf clubs have jobsworths, but to then walk up to them with permission would be even more satisfying :naughty:

I tend to agree with Paul about asking the club even though it appears from what you were doing you don't need to. Perhaps gently mentioning you are asking a courtesy.

I found this page. The link on the page and the following links are interesting and support what has been said above but good/useful to see it comes from a golfing organisation.

https://www.scottishgolf.org/club-services/legislation/outdoor-access-code/

Dave

From a PDF linked to from Dave (Tringa)'s link...

Members of the public can only exercise access rights to cross over a golf course and in doing so, must keep off greens at all times and not interfere with any golf games.

So setting up a tripod would be a no-no, even under the Scottish right to roam legislation. However, a polite enquiry to the club management to get permission (don't forget to tell them it's for commercial purposes, unless I'm reading too much into the reference to a customer in the OP) should get a positive response.

Ask for permission and maybe suggest you can supply a print for them?
You may get repeat commissions from the course, unless they have an official course photographer.

Think of it as an opportunity to make some money (and connections) from a difficult situation :)

Last edited:
In this situation I would enquire with your client as to whether they are a member of the golf club and / or know any member(s) of the committee.
It may be easier for them to talk to the powers that be and obtain permission :)

It does, however, sound like you got unlucky and a jobsworth decided to be an idiot.

Thanks for all the feedback folks I really appreciate it, I do think I was just unlucky with the jobsworth but as I only came away with one shot I'm going to email the club and ask for permission, I also think it was the tripod that killed it for me, if i was just going hand held I don't think it would be a problem!

Here's the final processed shot, had to do a bit of masking in PS to get rid of the lens flare but I'm quite happy......but still would like another chance when not being rushed......or given the fingers haha

DSC_0528-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Great work, you still need a golfer where your red blob was with a 7 iron ;)

Back