West Yorkshire Landscape Locations - Suggestions?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Been a while since my last post here. Family and I moved up to Leeds from daann south a few months ago and now finally settled in our new house and with the weather turning warmer, thoughts are turning to dusting off the SLR and lenses and getting out and about to capture some Yorkshire landscapes. We're in North Leeds and I know Yorkshire is a county with limitless photo opps but I'm looking for some suggestions on some locations I could try out - ideally within a 30-45 min drive out of Leeds. Particularly keen to capture some landscapes with my wide angle with some potential shots to print for walls in our new house!

All suggestions and any links or sample images greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Probably one that's been photographed to death, but stunning anyway...the moors above Haworth around the Bronte Falls and Top Withens. The falls are often busy with tourists, but it's definitely a good place for camera work. Another that may be even better for wider angle is Castle Hill in Huddersfield. You have a virtually 360 degree panoramic view for many miles on clear days and the tower is open at certain times of year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Hill,_Huddersfield

I live in Halifax, so if you want any more help, give me a shout :)

Loads of places to go, Ilkley Moor, Baildon Moor, Otley Chevin, Almscliffe Crag, if you like a hike there are fantastic views from Beamsley Beacon. If you like water there is Eccup reservoir, Swinsty, Fewston and Thrushcross reservoirs. Further afield there is Malham Cove And Gordale Scar.

Probably one that's been photographed to death, but stunning anyway...the moors above Haworth around the Bronte Falls and Top Withens. The falls are often busy with tourists, but it's definitely a good place for camera work. Another that may be even better for wider angle is Castle Hill in Huddersfield. You have a virtually 360 degree panoramic view for many miles on clear days and the tower is open at certain times of year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Hill,_Huddersfield

I live in Halifax, so if you want any more help, give me a shout :)
Loads of places to go, Ilkley Moor, Baildon Moor, Otley Chevin, Almscliffe Crag, if you like a hike there are fantastic views from Beamsley Beacon. If you like water there is Eccup reservoir, Swinsty, Fewston and Thrushcross reservoirs. Further afield there is Malham Cove And Gordale Scar.

Thank you very much both. I lived in Huddersfield for a year around 15 years ago so remember Castle Hill but hadn't though of it until you mentioned it.
Will definitely try out some of the places you've both suggested. Glad I now live in a county with so many photographic opportunities!

Rock Hollow Ogden, a reservoir surrounded by pine woods and surrounded by moorland, Hardcastle Crags. The whole area between Huddersfield and Halifax offers endless opportunities.

Which bits the giants tooth?
Follow the right hand path along the shore from the car park. You eventually get to the thin end of the res, where the little bridge crosses over. As you cross the bridge, there's a path up into the woods. Follow this up and keep going. Eventually, you'll find a path right up the very top of the hill. The path forks a couple of times, just follow the one going up and you're good to go. The trees have all been cleared on the crown and the path continues. You'll come out at the Giant's Tooth (you will know it when you see it! ;)) and that's the peak of the hill. A fab view from there on a clear day and lovely walk.

Last edited:
I've been round ogden loads of times but not been up that path! Usually end up feeding the ducks with the kids.
thanks very much!!

I've lived in queensbury for 13 years and never been up there! I will be doing now though! Thanks very much!

Aaahhh.....nice to see this place bringing people closer :) Thanks everyone, do really appreciate all the advise on locations. Now all I need is some decent weather - can you good Yorkshire folk sort that out too?? ;-)

Back