Wex or MPB for selling kit?

BBR

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Would be grateful for any feedback on experiences with dealing with Wex and MPB, in particular on prices offered when selling.

Have used MPB both for buying and selling in the past and was quite satisfied but I have a lot of gear to sell and would prefer to do it in one transaction and face to face, and MBP cannot currently offer that. Have not used Wex previously.

TIA

Would be grateful for any feedback on experiences with dealing with Wex and MPB, in particular on prices offered when selling.

Have used MPB both for buying and selling in the past and was quite satisfied but I have a lot of gear to sell and would prefer to do it in one transaction and face to face, and MBP cannot currently offer that. Have not used Wex previously.

TIA
I've had great experience with MPB. Figures I've been offered by Wex haven't been worth considering, including on trade-ins for nearly new equipment I'd bought direct from them.

I don't think Wex offer cash only trade in which means you're stuck shopping with them. MPB have always offered me the better prices compared to Wex. You could try Camera Jungle, they are part of Jessops.

No experience with these two and not from personal experience (though I do have a Canon body to shift) but Camera Jungle came well recommended for both offer and service.

Yep WEX don't do cash and their prices rarely match MBP, (who can also fluctuate in offerings).

I recommend Harrison Cameras (Sheffield) even though I appreciate you'd rather face to face. Really good service done online when I sold some items a few months back.

Last edited:
I traded my old Pentax K100d against an "open box" Olympus E-M10 at Wex in Norwich.
They spent almost an hour examining the body and lens, I needed to book the appointment.
They gave me more for the body than I was expecting but didn't want the kit lens at all.
I'd have no hesitation recommending them but as others have said you'd be trading in.
I didn't price compare as the E-M10 was a bargain and I wanted to secure it for a trip.
I also found that their used gear seems more expensive than Camera Jungle and MPB - I'd trust it to be good gear though.

I have used WEX once, offered a price then when they got the item changed it for no good reason. Hard to fight quite hard to get the amount originally offered. In the main ive found their prices quite low. I have used Ffrodes and they are very good.

I have used WEX once, offered a price then when they got the item changed it for no good reason. Hard to fight quite hard to get the amount originally offered. In the main ive found their prices quite low. I have used Ffrodes and they are very good.
I had the opposite experience with WEX. After they received my old 70-200 they called me and offered me £75 more as it was in better condition than i had marked it down for. Still a bit lower than i could get selling on here, but they had want i wanted in stock and as no money changed hands i was happy.

I recently sent a couple of lenses and a Canon 600D body to Wex. They told me both lenses have moisture in them, returned one they didn't want to quote for a repair (Tamron), I can't see anything wrong with it at all and it's been in a dry cupboard with silica gel. The Canon 100-400 L they say has moisture, they offered £540 and sent it to Canon (with my agreement up front) for a repair quote, which has come back neck-end of £380. I never had any issue with that lens, never used it in adverse conditions, and again, it's been in a dry cupboard with silica gel. So I'm a bit stumped. I only got the repair quote today. I asked them, given they would be getting a refurbished lens, surely the original £540 offer was now too low, waiting to hear back, but I may just ask for it back (which they made obvious up front was always an option). It's not that I don't trust them - but two lenses I've never had issues with, in a dry cupboard, both having moisture? Wasn't impressed.

I recently sent a couple of lenses and a Canon 600D body to Wex. They told me both lenses have moisture in them, returned one they didn't want to quote for a repair (Tamron), I can't see anything wrong with it at all and it's been in a dry cupboard with silica gel. The Canon 100-400 L they say has moisture, they offered £540 and sent it to Canon (with my agreement up front) for a repair quote, which has come back neck-end of £380. I never had any issue with that lens, never used it in adverse conditions, and again, it's been in a dry cupboard with silica gel. So I'm a bit stumped. I only got the repair quote today. I asked them, given they would be getting a refurbished lens, surely the original £540 offer was now too low, waiting to hear back, but I may just ask for it back (which they made obvious up front was always an option). It's not that I don't trust them - but two lenses I've never had issues with, in a dry cupboard, both having moisture? Wasn't impressed.

This does seem odd Tony. Are you going to get the Canon returned to you? Perhaps take it to your local LCE and see what they say.

I have always found Wex to be reliable.

To the OP, I don't think Wex offer cash only. Perhaps try LCE.

LCE offers are pitiful. I always wondered why anyone would trade in to LCE when they can get better offers from else where. But most people who trade in stuff to LCE do so in person at the shops and possibly not the kind that so much trading online.

I have used Peter Walnes (https://secure.peterwalnes.com) quite a lot. He mainly sells on eBay than his website but his contact email is on his website. He pays in cash by bank transfer and offers excellent price.
He'll pay for your postage also if you ask.

Last edited:
LCE offers are pitiful. I always wondered why anyone would trade in to LCE when they can get better offers from else where. But most people who trade in stuff to LCE do so in person at the shops and possibly not the kind that so much trading online.

I have used Peter Walnes (https://secure.peterwalnes.com) quite a lot. He mainly sells on eBay than his website but his contact email is on his website. He pays in cash by bank transfer and offers excellent price.
He'll pay for your postage also if you ask.

I agree about the low prices from LCE but does Peter Walnes offer face-to-face?

I agree about the low prices from LCE but does Peter Walnes offer face-to-face?
He is all the way down in Penzance. If you are willing to trek that far down south or are close by he might offer face-to-face. I have never asked since it's quite far for me and I have been happy doing it over the post.
He had always honoured his offer to me (but I'd like to think I am generally quite accurate with my description)

Last edited:
He is all the way down in Penzance. If you are willing to trek that far down south or are close by he might offer face-to-face. I have never asked since it's quite far for me and I have been happy doing it over the post.
He had always honoured his offer to me (but I'd like to think I am generally quite accurate with my description)

That's fine but the OP did want face-to-face, a service very few offer hence the suggestion of LCE.

No matter where you go you will get rinsed dry trying to sell a bunch of different items in one go. Absolutely robbed blind

TIA

Forget them Both and get a quote from Camera Jungle they pay cash and knock the socks off the others

This does seem odd Tony. Are you going to get the Canon returned to you? Perhaps take it to your local LCE and see what they say.

I have always found Wex to be reliable.

To the OP, I don't think Wex offer cash only. Perhaps try LCE.

I've asked if they're going to up their offer given they'd be getting a refurbed lens. They've not responded yet. Tempted to get it back to use MPB to be honest, hadn't really known about them, but looks like a decent service.

I've asked if they're going to up their offer given they'd be getting a refurbed lens. They've not responded yet. Tempted to get it back to use MPB to be honest, hadn't really known about them, but looks like a decent service.
Even if they up the offer it's not going to be a huge amount. £100-ish max I'd say.
Wex tests thier lenses and camera rather thoroughly unlike most other places. So if they say something is wrong might be worth having it checked out yourself independently.

"Not So in my experience or I would not have recommended them.

I got 33% more from them - not to shabby!!!

I presume that you have tried them??"

Oh yes, otherwise I wouldn't have commented. If you got a third more than other quotes you did extremely well.

Various shops/people value somethings more than others. So you'll get better quotes in some places compared to others depending on item rather that shop alone. But these days they do match each other if you go back and ask. So it really helps to get quotes from a few places.

Last edited:
Ffordes are ok, they sell on a commission basis too.

Done ok with MPB, none of them will ever be great, but that's the price you pay for selling to a dealer, much like part ex with a car

Used Camera Jungle and MPB and much of a muchness really.

MPB usually offer more but they are getting slow these days - 5 days just to check an item ?

Park cameras said my P?X lenses had dust in them, but I challenged and they admitted they were wrong, just trying it on. The had some young lad on the counter and I wantd a nikon 20-70m lens. After spending half an hour on the computer he said they didn't have one in stock. I said turn around and look in the display cabinet 6ft behind you. Guess what was in it????? he was too keen to try and show off his computer skills than using his eyes.

Used Camera Jungle and MPB and much of a muchness really.

MPB usually offer more but they are getting slow these days - 5 days just to check an item ?

I'm waiting for MBP to give me a quote on an item and was surprised when the email said 4-5 days to check it.
Perhaps they are short staff and got a lot of kit to check, I can't think of any other reason as shoving a lens on a body, taking a few shots, checking the actuations and giving it the once is hardly a long process.

I'm waiting for MBP to give me a quote on an item and was surprised when the email said 4-5 days to check it.
Perhaps they are short staff and got a lot of kit to check, I can't think of any other reason as shoving a lens on a body, taking a few shots, checking the actuations and giving it the once is hardly a long process.

Yes would put me off using them again - they’ve had a few of my items since last Friday - maybe I’m being impatient but that’s quite a wait and means I won’t get my money until next week.

Last year, I had a 500m f4 to sell. Best price was from Mifsuds in Devon. Clifton Cameras in Dursley came in a close 2nd and got my vote as the fuel and drive to Mifsuds evened things out given the time taken to drive down there. MPB were the lowest price and unwilling to move on their price. If I recall correctly, their offer was at least £600 less than the next one. I think they rely on the convenience of their pick up service which to be fair I did use once or twice before I had more time. I haven’t used weX for used kit. I have the impression that reviews are quite variable and some love them and others not so much.
Another piece of information that may help: a couple of years ago, I went to a photo show in Southampton. Mike Inkley was there; he’s an Olympus ambassador. Having been a Canon user for many many years with all the kit you would imagine a sport pro would have, he was knocked off his bike, injured badly and found that he couldn’t use heavy kit anymore. He switched to Olympus and traded all his kit in to Mifsuds. I have nothing to do with Mifsuds, by the way.

So hope that helps.

Reactions: BBR
MPB, never had a problem.

In fact, asked for a trade in quote Monday Afternoon, got the quote back in about 30 seconds. Accepted the quote Monday night, lens was picked up yesterday at 12.15pm... They have already inspected and accepted my trade and my new lens is being packaged up and sent as we speak.

Great service!

WEX in my experience are incredibly picky with equipment. This is good if you are purchasing form them as you can be assured that anything used above a -9 condition rating will look like it has never seen the light of day.

I have sent them lenses twice, both were literally as new condition and they came back and said they would have to downgrade my quotes once they had inspected them. Wasn't really impressed to be honest.

Onto the 6th day of MPB having my stuff and yet they are telling me it’s going to be another 24 hrs before they check it - bearing in mind today is Friday that means I won’t hear until next week !!

Maybe I’ve been unlucky but that is poor service

Onto the 6th day of MPB having my stuff and yet they are telling me it’s going to be another 24 hrs before they check it - bearing in mind today is Friday that means I won’t hear until next week !!

Maybe I’ve been unlucky but that is poor service

Peak holiday season means that businesses are often short handed at this time of year.

I used MPB last year and agreed a price on a lens I was selling, happy with what they offered

Back