WEX reduces the D810 to £1795

Lol hi Adrianyes you got me ;) but inbetween i had the xt10 x30 a5100 and a6000. But that was within a month but this one is a keeper,i can only imagine what your photos are going to be like with a D810,everything you touch turns to gold im going to rename you Midas:). Will be looking out for your first new photos.
All the best
Chris

Last edited:
Lol hi Adrianyes you got me ;) but inbetween i had the xt10 x30 a5100 and a6000. But that was within a month but this one is a keeper,i can only imagine what your photos are going to be like with a D810,everything you touch turns to gold im going to rename you Midas:). Will be looking out for your first new photos.
All the best
Chris

Thanks Chris for your kind words about my pictures .. The D810 was on the cards and I nearly pressed the button on one this evening. But have ordered a Nikon D750 instead with Sigma 24-35 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. I will see you on the D750 thread

Thanks Chris for your kind words about my pictures .. The D810 was on the cards and I nearly pressed the button on one this evening. But have ordered a Nikon D750 instead with Sigma 24-35 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. I will see you on the D750 thread

I'll see you in the classifieds ;) congrats, great camera.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually taken advantage of the trade up deal with WEX from a D800 to the D810?

I am in the process of trying to do so. I have previously always had great service from WEX but I recently completed their part exchange form to begin the process but the part exchange value I was offered wasn't anywhere near the trade-up part exchange that they detail on their website http://www.wexphotographic.com/partexchange/?event=nikon-d810-trade-in-bonus
My d800 is blemish free, complete with all accessories and original box and with a shutter count of approximately 4500.

You will notice that the final combined credit that they offer does not add up but I dont know which value is incorrect. I am currently waiting to hear back from them as I've directed their part exchange team back to their own website, in the mean time I was just wondering if an TP'ers had actually completed the trade-up part exchange.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually taken advantage of the trade up deal with WEX from a D800 to the D810?

I am in the process of trying to do so. I have previously always had great service from WEX but I recently completed their part exchange form to begin the process but the part exchange value I was offered wasn't anywhere near the trade-up part exchange that they detail on their website http://www.wexphotographic.com/partexchange/?event=nikon-d810-trade-in-bonus
My d800 is blemish free, complete with all accessories and original box and with a shutter count of approximately 4500.

You will notice that the final combined credit that they offer does not add up but I dont know which value is incorrect. I am currently waiting to hear back from them as I've directed their part exchange team back to their own website, in the mean time I was just wondering if an TP'ers had actually completed the trade-up part exchange.

You are always better trying to sell your camera privately as WEX will always want there cut and make a profit? If you trade in a £20 camera or a £1000 one at Jessops They will still give you the £350 off, and that what I did when I bought my D810? Or wait a bit and the offer will change to simply a £350 discount not a PX deal?

Another alternative is a D810 from a grey seller that will cost you around £1600 +/- so selling privately would save you even more money if you sold your camera elsewhere?

I once had a quote for some M43 stuff from WEX and there quote was what you would expect way under what I wanted?

I am sure you can do better in the classifieds on here and nothing to lose testing the water before you do a PX

Thanks Mick.

Totally take your point about resale values when selling privately, but for me personally I prefer the simplicity, security and ease of a part exchange deal.

Just to update my post above, I've since heard back from WEX and the figures stated in the example on their website were wrong, they have since corrected the D800 to D810 deal and the combined credit is now £1070 not £1250 as previously stated.

Thanks Mick.

Totally take your point about resale values when selling privately, but for me personally I prefer the simplicity, security and ease of a part exchange deal.

Just to update my post above, I've since heard back from WEX and the figures stated in the example on their website were wrong, they have since corrected the D800 to D810 deal and the combined credit is now £1070 not £1250 as previously stated.

so they are giving you £1,070 for a mint D800 against a new D810 - so the cost to change is £1,795 minus £1,070 = £725 ......... or is that against their "retail price" of £2,145, (£1,795 + £350) - so the cost to change would be £1,075

Last edited:

I got really annoyed with WEX yesterday.
They also have a similar deal on trade in bonus for the D750 but at £150.
Their site states "Any Working DSLR". They won't take my D3000 though as it has a very small scratch on the LCD because they say it is not in a sellable condition.
I queried why they wouldn't take it when they're site states "Any Working DSLR" and they just reiterated that it's not sellable.
I suggested that they update their site or even put some T&Cs on the offer. I was told my concerns would be passed to the relevant department.
Interestingly, I know Jessops don't have a good reputation for trade in, but they're offering around £28 with the £150 bonus on top.
WEX just riled me up a bit, I can see why some of you guys buy from the likes of HDEW.

so they are giving you £1,070 for a mint D800 against a new D810 - so the cost to change is £1,795 minus £1,070 = £725

It a worse deal than that Bill it now £2139 full retail price at WEX so minus the camera PX they offering £720 and the £350 trade in = £1070, so it will still leave £1069 to fund? That why I suggested to sell it private? It would sell on here pretty quick I am sure it a pity I am not local to you Osmo I would have paid you cash today for it :)

Last edited:
I got really annoyed with WEX yesterday.
They also have a similar deal on trade in bonus for the D750 but at £150.
Their site states "Any Working DSLR". They won't take my D3000 though as it has a very small scratch on the LCD because they say it is not in a sellable condition.
I queried why they wouldn't take it when they're site states "Any Working DSLR" and they just reiterated that it's not sellable.
I suggested that they update their site or even put some T&Cs on the offer. I was told my concerns would be passed to the relevant department.
Interestingly, I know Jessops don't have a good reputation for trade in, but they're offering around £28 with the £150 bonus on top.
WEX just riled me up a bit, I can see why some of you guys buy from the likes of HDEW.

Strange that, a lot of their used stock have scratches so how is your item not sellable?!

so they are giving you £1,070 for a mint D800 against a new D810 - so the cost to change is £1,795 minus £1,070 = £725 ......... or is that against their "retail price" of £2,145, (£1,795 + £350) - so the cost to change would be £1,075

Hi Bill, their web offer is £720+£350 (bonus) = £1070. But this is based on their D810 advertised price of £2139. So D800 + £1069 to upgrade. As much as its not quite as attractive as it was with the error, I still don't think this is too bad to be honest after looking at private D800 sales.

Hi Bill, their web offer is £720+£350 (bonus) = £1070. But this is based on their D810 advertised price of £2139. So D800 + £1069 to upgrade. As much as its not quite as attractive as it was with the error, I still don't think this is too bad to be honest after looking at private D800 sales.

Or sell yours privately for ~£900, buy from Panamoz and it will cost you ~£650... £400 is a lot of dosh to most people.

Or sell yours privately for ~£900, buy from Panamoz and it will cost you ~£650... £400 is a lot of dosh to most people.

I was just typing same thing LOL!

It up to Osmo at end of the day but it seems silly to give the D800 away with such low shutter count and if it is in mint condition it will sell all day at £850-£900?

It seem to all be a marketing "smoke and mirrors" trick to me

It is like anything - have the cash, buy it at the best price - sell yours privately (on here) and get a fair, (to both side), price for it .......... or stuff them and get one from HDEW

I thought that with this offer Nikon were at least trying to put a dint in the grey boys market

Nikon Dealers were selling them at £1,795, (and lower), with no part ex deal - just a straight money off discount, when the thread was posted, (but the offer seemed to be only available for a few days until they saw that they had made a "balls" of it)

Last edited:
Strange that, a lot of their used stock have scratches so how is your item not sellable?!
Absolutely no idea, it's not even a deep scratch more of a surface scratch.
I wasn't annoyed that they said it wasn't sellable, it was more that their site says any working DSLR.
They told me when they ran this promotion before that sometimes they'll offer you £1 so you would get £151 off the new body. At least Jessops offer is a bit better, although still not as much as MPBs £60, although thats far less when the bonus is taken in to account.
I always really liked WEX but they really hacked me off.

£400 is a lot of money to me too chaps but I I prefer UK specification technology, the security of buying and selling through a well established company plus avoiding the time consuming activity that selling privately can be.

David. Rejecting your camera due to a surface scratch when stating 'any working DSLR' is really poor. Like you I have always liked WEX but that would hack me off too.

Bill, you mentioned about the £350 off deal of normal price was about maybe trying to take on the grey market companies. It looked like that deal was very short lived though, do you think that it may also be that if you believe the rumour mill, the D810 successor isn't far away and WEX know that?

£400 is a lot of money to me too chaps but I I prefer UK specification technology, the security of buying and selling through a well established company plus avoiding the time consuming activity that selling privately can be.

Honestly the stuff supplied by HDEW is UK spec with a 3 year guarantee - OK the guarantee is not (official) Nikon - but from what I have read, if there are any problems the camera goes back to Nikon for repair and HDEW pick up the bill.

There is a question about UK VAT and duty ....... which is always discussed on here ...... but they have a UK address, you can call them, visit them and they have been in business for some time and I have not heard a bad report.

they seem to be a well establish company and selling on here is usually pretty straight forward, if your price is "right" and fair ....... it is a good deal for both parties

David. Rejecting your camera due to a surface scratch when stating 'any working DSLR' is really poor. Like you I have always liked WEX but that would hack me off too.

Bill, you mentioned about the £350 off deal of normal price was about maybe trying to take on the grey market companies. It looked like that deal was very short lived though, do you think that it may also be that if you believe the rumour mill, the D810 successor isn't far away and WEX know that?

D820 - That's what I thought - but looking at what has happened it just seem to me to be a "con" to get you to commit and then not delivering what they appear to have promised in their promotion

UK specification technology? They're all from the same factory, Panamoz is a great company to deal with and offer a 3 year warranty and if you advertise it at the right price then i dare say it would be gone in a day or two. Panamoz orders usually take 4 days from ordering to hitting your doorstep.

Your money though matey, just trying to save you a few quid.

Thanks Bill and David.
Good point, I didn't mean technology, but official UK items due to warranties and VAT etc.

Appreciate the advice about trying to save some money but when you've had a horrible experience previously it makes you re-evaluate risk!

PS, just as a follow up edit. I asked WEX if they would honour their original mistake on their D810 upgrade page. £1250 trade in would have made the upgrade much less painful.

Simple answer from WEX was No! Off to check out the grey market importers now due to recommendations provided by Bill and others!

Last edited:
I'm guessing HDEW will be the same but Panamoz just tell you to send the camera to Nikon and once you show them a copy of the quote they authorise the work and pay you to pay them. The service really is top notch and Tina will do anything she can to put your mind at rest. (y)

I'm guessing HDEW will be the same but Panamoz just tell you to send the camera to Nikon and once you show them a copy of the quote they authorise the work and pay you to pay them. The service really is top notch and Tina will do anything she can to put your mind at rest. (y)

Hdew work differently they buy a 3 year warranty from a third party company on your behalf and register it with them for you. Then when you have any issues you just contact the warranty company.

I contacted Grays of Westminster to ask what they would offer for my old D3000 just to see their opinion.
They said that the D3000 is not worth an awful lot anymore but they would give me the £150 off anyway and told me I could just keep the D3000.
Just interesting that there are different levels of Customer Service from different companies.

Back