WEX second hand lens

SMT

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I purchased a second hand Sony 10-18mm F4 lens from WEX last week which arrived today. It's the first time I have bought something second hand from WEX.

The external packaging was good, but there was no packaging (bar a thin plastic bag) around the lens itself which was inside it's own OEM box. The lens is not a tight fit in it's OEM box so has obviously been rattling around inside it's own box on it's way to me via Parcelforce. There is no way I would ever ship a lens to someone like this. Why couldn't they just wrap the lens in some bubble wrap?

I'm going to send it back as I don't find this acceptable. The condition they described it in on their website is borderline in my opinion, but of course it may be worse now than when it left them due to the lack of packaging.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with WEX? I'm not impressed.

Have never had any issues with WEX have always found them great.

Last purchase was a Sony 200-600 and it came with the oem box wrapped in a huge amount of bubble wrap and then inside another box.

I did buy a (Sony) 16-35 used from them as I thought I wouldn't use it much but it's my favourite especially for video - like new and certainly packed OK but I don't recall what they used.
Less than I put round Canon ones traded in though.
Completely different but a courier just brought a set of plates and I saw him stand on them while hunting.
They only have thin foam between each one but were a tight fit in the box.
Jiggling is bad, that's what she said.

Reactions: SMT
WEX are local to me & have bought a number of items from them, never had a problem normally amazing service.

There will always be that one that slips by QC - someone in a hurry to get to lunch packed it maybe.

I had a bit of a disaster with another well known used camera gear site - I purchased a lens that was listed as being in very good condition; what was delivered to me could only be described as extremely heavily used - it was filthy! I mean, my hands were black after handling it - also the focus ring was un-usable, it was tight and felt like something was caught underneath, there was also some marks to the front element - obviously I wasn't having this, so I let them know how annoyed I was. To be fair, they sent for it next day and after checking and confirming that this was definitely not acceptable, they apologised, gave me £30 refund and sent out a copy of the lens that was like new. I've dealt with them again since and had zero issues. Good customer service goes a long way

Have a word with them and express your disappointment - I have no doubt they will sort you out.

Wex are now my go to, never had any problems, new or second hand. (y)

I did email WEX yesterday, but had received no response so called them this morning and explained the situation to them.

They were very apologetic and totally agreed it was unacceptable and that it should never have happened. They were also going to look into how it happened. They agreed that the lens should be returned for a full refund.

So I have just spent the last half an hour wrapping the lens with my own bubble wrap which they asked me to do, packaging it properly, printing off and filling in a returns form, printing off the return postage label, packaging everything into it's original outer box and taking it to the Post Office. Still not very happy.

Last edited:
I did email WEX yesterday, but had received no response so called them this morning and explained the situation to them.

They were very apologetic and totally agreed it was unacceptable and that it should never have happened. They were also going to look into how it happened. They agreed that the lens should be returned for a full refund.

So I have just spent the last half an hour wrapping the lens with my own bubble wrap which they asked me to do, packaging it properly, printing off and filling in a returns form, printing off the return postage label, packaging everything into it's original outer box and taking it to the Post Office. Still not very happy.

It sounds like WEX have done as much as you could expect them to do in the circumstances; its not ideal but at least they’ve apologised and arranged the return.
It happens from time to time; if you think WEX are bad you should try some of the other used merchants out there!

They would have arranged collection if asked - strange they didn't offer it.

I seems like I have just been unlucky. Very annoying nonetheless.

Yes they did offer collection, but it was more convenient for me to take it to the Post Office rather than wait around all day for a courier to show up.

I have also had a bad experience selling equipment to another well known second hand dealer.

I think I just need to stick to private purchases and sales of second hand equipment or buy new.

under normal circumstances they are 100% .. as others have said there are very few really good ones ... sounds like you were just unfortunate .. ..

Interesting...

I have an alert set up on Camera price buster UK for 2nd hand copies of the Sony 10-18.

I received an email from WEX yesterday morning confirming receipt of my lens and that a refund was being issued.

I also received an email from Camera price buster that new 2nd hand copies of the Sony 10-18 were available.

Three from MPB and one from WEX. The WEX lens was the same price & condition as I bought mine from them. The lens sold the same day.

I doubt it was a coincidence.

I've bought and sold quite a few used lenses from wex over the years. Overall experience has been good, with the occasional blip.
What was their rating on this lens? Based on my experience with them I will not buy anything less than 9 (9- is a no) and preferably at least 9+.
I cannot remember any packaging issues.
They do seem to have become more "commercial" under their new ownership.

Interesting...

I have an alert set up on Camera price buster UK for 2nd hand copies of the Sony 10-18.

I received an email from WEX yesterday morning confirming receipt of my lens and that a refund was being issued.

I also received an email from Camera price buster that new 2nd hand copies of the Sony 10-18 were available.

Three from MPB and one from WEX. The WEX lens was the same price & condition as I bought mine from them. The lens sold the same day.

I doubt it was a coincidence.

If they tested the lens and its fine then why shouldnt they sell it? Its on them if it fails during the warranty period... I dont agree with poor packaging but they are an excellent dealer.

Last edited:
WEX have always been my 1st choice- I too bought a Sony 200-600mm it came inside a Canvas case inside the Sony box- this was in another box and had so much bubble wrap -I thought it overkill

I suspect as said a NEW WEX employee maybe in trouble now :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:Les :)

It was a 9- That was borderline imo but it may have suffered more damage in transit due to the poor packaging. If it was the same lens which it probably was then it was still rated at a 9-.

I doubt anyone looking for a 2nd hand Sony 10-18 would have bought that particular copy after reading this thread.

Hopefully it it will serve its new owner well for many years but I wasn't prepared to take that risk after it arriving to me the way it did.

It will just make me consider in the future potentially what a 2nd hand lens has been through before it's ended up in my possession particularly if its come from a dealer.

Back