Wex trade in.

Had a big quote required so sent it MPB and WEX yesterday, MPB offered over £400 more for the gear, which was 20% so quite a difference.

Doh! Don't tell me that now...;)

I went from a 1D III to a IV, and it does everything much better!!
What i've really noticed is the IQ improvement, better high ISO, it clears the buffer MUCH quicker (use it for sports/wildlife a lot), and the rear screen is a huge improvement.
You should be 'well chuffed' as us oop North say!
Thanks for the information - I'm looking forward to receiving it.

The camera arrived today, so a quick summary: the 1D Mark IV is superb! The AUTO ISO in manual is very nice indeed, and - as Carlo already said - it just seems 'better' than the Mark III. I've only played around indoors this afternoon, but so far I'm really pleased.

So far as Wex are concerned? They reduced the trade-in value of the two cameras that I submitted by £110, based on reasons which were - on balance - reasonable. To balance things out a little, they reduced the price of the 1D by £70, and gave me the next day delivery (normally £4.99) for free. As an unexpected surprise: the camera also came with a proper manual, which the description did not list, and was not supposed to be there (I checked by telephone).

Again, I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing, and am looking forward to the rugby season....

Last edited:
On Wednesday I had stuff collected to go to WEX and MPB...

MPB: Thursday lunchtime (23 hours after collection) my valuation was accepted in full, money was credited directly into my bank account an hour later.

WEX: Just got an email saying goods received and will receive a call within 3 days to confirm valuation.

Really impressed with the MPB process, super efficient and I was able to just tick off which items I wanted to send them. When the acceptance come through I got a quick form to fill in my bank details online, job done.

Will see how WEX do now, they have quoted a ridiculously high amount for the items (just a few quid under what they sell mint used ones for) so I'm not feeling confident.

Last edited:
MPB offered me £375 for 24-120. Pretty good as was being offered less on here!

I've recently had quotes from Wex and MPB. The latter provided a higher quote, collected the stuff and paid the amount quoted within 24 hrs of receiving it. Very good service overall, which I cannot fault.

Dave

camera jungle seem as good as MPB

Just had a quote from Harrison's. 110 less than Wex. They can go do one!

Just to add some balance, I approached the following places for trade-in pricing and Harrisons came out on top but that could because I have spent a small fortune with them :D

Make/Model Harrisons MBP WEX
Sony Alpha A7RII Digital camera Body 1st 2nd 3rd
Sony VG-C2EM Battery Grip for A7R II 2nd 1st 2nd
Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar 1st 2nd 2nd
Sony FE 55mm f1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar 1st 2nd 3rd
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 G Master 1st 3rd 2nd
Sony FE 85mm f1.8 G Master 1st 1st No Offer

Jessops are also surprisingly competitive, but as with all of them it depends on the item, and it's always worth remembering WEX only give store credit.

MPB would certainly appear to be the most efficient of the lot.

I'm amazed Harrison were the best, I'll dig out my sheet when I was selling my canon stuff but I seem to think they were awful, something like a third under

I'm amazed Harrison were the best, I'll dig out my sheet when I was selling my canon stuff but I seem to think they were awful, something like a third under

I guess there are so many variables when deal with part-ex/trade-in prices, if they don't sell or have enough of something in stock perhaps they offer less? I am not sure but they have looked after me well but like I said, perhaps because I have spent a fair bit with them.

Sorry, I was mistaken, it was Clifton that sucked - sorry Harrision!!!!

There were a load of other bits in a separate area, however here you go:

17148-1479468416-b3c1ac5b89bb90a31080d8c6220dd1b6.jpg

Last edited:
Harrison have always been the worst of the bunch every time i have asked them, and as i live locally i have always taken the actual item in to show them, and my kit is always in mint condition

But as someone mentioned above, i don't have the most exotic of gear, and they generally have at least one or 2 of the items i am trading already in stock, so i guess to them they devalue any additional stock that is going to sit on a shelf gathering dust, it is also interesting to note that their valuations appear to work on how much they sold the last 2nd hand item for, as every time i have asked they always say "lets see how much the last one sold for" and then proceed to tap away on their computer system

I have not used MPB yet, but off all the places i have tried they have given me the highest price

WEX give good part ex prices but I have noticed that their prices for new equipment are now much higher than other retailers (in most cases).

AL

Reactions: 4wd
WEX have just credited my account, so pretty efficient (goods were collected on Wednesday).

Somewhat bonkers, but they gave me £830 for my Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm 2.8. I paid £730 for it from here a few months back.

I had the same problem with park cameras with my lenses for P/X. One I was told had fungus in it. When I challeged the "boy" took it away and then came back and said it didn't, which I know darn well it didn't". Other lenses so critical I nearly walked out of the shop. You are better selling on Ebay if you give a true description of the item for sale or put it up on here. He "the boy" didn't even know what stock he had. I wanted a Nikon new version of the 70-200mm lens. After searching his computer he said we don't have any in stock until new comes in end of April. Behind him about 10 ft away in a display cabinet was guess what? yes a brand new lens that i was after, he didn't even bother to find out using his eyes. These kids as so bound up in checking on computers ,say no more.

I once saw a cartoon of a salesman which read " Its no use you pointing at it, if the computer says we don't have one"

Not a trade-in story, but I just bought a Leica M7 from MPB, and I couldn't be happier. The price was good and it came with the original packaging, strap and instructions - which wasn't mentioned in the add. Very pleased!

Having read all the previous accounts, does anybody think that the shops are :-
A. Earning to much

B. not enough

C. About right

Kind regards mike

Last edited:
I've just sold a number of items from my Canon setup in three tranches, and got quotes from MPB and WEX. WEX were consistently higher than MPB on every item. Not by a huge amount, 5-10% approx. I felt the prices from both were fair - they have to check items, advertise, resell and presumably pay or charge VAT as well. The WEX values being higher, compensates for them being PEX credit (well, it did for me). I've picked and chose what I buy from WEX using the credit, as they aren't always the cheapest out there, but for some items, they are competitive. For every item I sent back to WEX, I got the value quoted. I was accurate with my descriptions I thought. The ones I had concerns about were the "Like New" items. It's very hard for something to be 2 or 3 years old and be "Like New", even if it is "minty". I do keep every twist tie, every bit of cellophane in my packaging though from when stuff was new, so it's as new as it can be. I noticed my EOS-M had slight marks on the sides from the funky clip on camera straps, but hadn't noticed that until I was packing it up to send. I described it Like New, so was expecting an issue, but none at all. There was only one item that was problematic, and that was a 24-70L which I'd described as "Shows signs of use" - it was 13 years old and my most used lens, but was still in good nick, albeit the hood looked like it had done a few rounds in the ring. Anyway, the issue was that they'd quoted me for a higher condition category by (their) mistake. Fair play to them, they honoured the higher price they quoted me. All in all, I was very pleased with their service, and I think if I'd wanted a cash sale, MPBs would have been fair too.

The huge advantage is that both were quoting prices higher than people on here normally wish to pay. So it's well worth getting a quote as a collar below which you won't sell on here and it protects used values a bit. There is a lot of someone sold a lens for XYZ on here, therefore I'll only offer XYZ- £50. Can't blame anyone for trying, but at least you have a fairer sales option in place as insurance and evidence of true market value.

The huge advantage is that both were quoting prices higher than people on here normally wish to pay.

This is what surprised me, I guess they can charge higher used prices now that new prices have increased, but for whatever reason private/eBay sales don't seem to have caught up with that so much.

Not so long ago using WEX/MPB was very much a convenience/safety choice over maximising return, now it's both, so it's a win win.

Thread revival!
Just traded in a couple of canon lenses and 5d body (with WEX) and reasonably happy.
They actually paid rather more than initial estimate but yes it's a credit note and their prices are that bit higher than you can find elsewhere.
The process was smooth and hassle free with Parcelforce picking up your items and usually confirmation of receipt next day and credit next working day after that.
I got a quote from MPD also which would be for cash but was quite a bit lower.

I would say f you have old kit in decent condition go for it, why have quite expensive items floating about until worth almost nothing as systems change.

I recently traded a Nikon D750 with MPB. They offered me a price which was slightly less than WEX. I accepted and DPD came and collected. When MPB got the camera they actually gave me more than they than they originally quoted. I bought a D500 from them and it is like new an was very reasonably priced for a nearly new non grey import.
I am very pleased with the transaction, and would recommend them to others.

Back