WEX

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I bought a used A72 from WEX on Friday for £739 which was typical of the price for a camera in that condition from a dealer, I was on the WEX website yesterday and noticed they had dropped the price of the A72 used cameras that were the same price as the one I bought by £69 to £670 so I phoned this morning and explained it and said could I get a refund of the difference or I'd send it back and buy one of the cheaper ones. The guy went off and checked something and said they couldn't offer a refund of the difference for some reason but I could return it for a full refund and buy one of the other cameras :(
So I emailed saying the same thing and got a reply a few hours later saying they had credited my card with £69 :)
So I guess the moral is if you don't succeed try again, or the keyboard is mightier than the phone :rolleyes:

Nice one, it's so annoying when you buy something only to discover it's cheaper a week later.

Out of interest do you nip back to a petrol station a week later if the price drops and ask for the difference back?

69 quid is not the same as a few pennies on petrol.

Some miserable b*ggers here today.............................

Not really.

Say you are a professional photographer and run a 20% off special for a month, are you going to refund any previously done work 20% if they ask? I very very much doubt that.

Say you are a professional photographer and run a 20% off special for a month, are you going to refund any previously done work 20% if they ask? I very very much doubt that.
I can't speak for him, but I have certainly done similar.

In February we had a half-price sale. I contacted everyone who had placed an order within the last 14 days of January, and who hadn't received their kit yet, and gave them the sale discount retrospectively.

In February we had a half-price sale. I contacted everyone who had placed an order within the last 14 days of January, and who hadn't received their kit yet, and gave them the sale discount retrospectively.

If you offer something like that then that's great, but customers shouldn't expect it.
Unfortunately by certain businesses offering to refund the difference it starts to become the norm. I get customers demanding to return something at day 23 because Argos allows 28 day returns so I should as well.

Not really.

If customers are savvy enough to ask at work then I will give them a credit note against a future order, although this is b2b wholesale and we want long term repeat business.

More to the point, if the price goes up, do you go back and offer them more money?
Why is that more to the point, I buy my petrol at an agreed price, I'd neither expect a refund if it went down the following day or expect to pay the difference if it went up.

And the op purchased a camera at an agreed price....
And did return and expect a cheaper price...
I admire his balls for asking, and the shop didn't need to give the discount....but they did....that's a win...

Why is that more to the point, I buy my petrol at an agreed price, I'd neither expect a refund if it went down the following day or expect to pay the difference if it went up.
Because the op went back and asked for a refund when the price went down. If that is a good thing to do then the op should also go back and offer more when the price goes up.

The point that is being missed on this example is that it was sold via mail order and he is quite within his legal rights to return it for any reason within 7 days no questions asked. He could then buy again at the lower price. Asking to do it this way round just saves everyone time and money and is something that I would definitely do for £69!

The point that is being missed on this example is that it was sold via mail order and he is quite within his legal rights to return it for any reason within 7 days no questions asked. He could then buy again at the lower price. Asking to do it this way round just saves everyone time and money and is something that I would definitely do for £69!

Don't think that point is being missed at all, seen as though its in the OP

said they couldn't offer a refund of the difference for some reason but I could return it for a full refund and buy one of the other cameras

You just wouldn't expect the difference back because its gone down in price is my point. Got nothing to do with legal returns rights.

You would, and yes it is.

Enlighten me, how does someone requesting the difference back have anything to do with a legal right to returns?

Show me the legal document that says that if a price drops the vendor must pay the difference back to someone who asks for it and ill apologies and bow out!

Enlighten me, how does someone requesting the difference back have anything to do with a legal right to returns?

Show me the legal document that says that if a price drops the vendor must pay the difference back to someone who asks for it and ill apologies and bow out!

The point that is being missed on this example is that it was sold via mail order and he is quite within his legal rights to return it for any reason within 7 days no questions asked. He could then buy again at the lower price. Asking to do it this way round just saves everyone time and money and is something that I would definitely do for £69! :)

Obviously there is no legal document that entitles you to the difference back, there is one that entitles you to an unconditional refund within 7 days of receipt. If you were asked to do it, as a business, you would within those 7 days, as it will save you 2 lots of postage and return paperwork and makes it look like you treat your customers well so ensures repeat custom.

The point that is being missed on this example is that it was sold via mail order and he is quite within his legal rights to return it for any reason within 7 days no questions asked. He could then buy again at the lower price. Asking to do it this way round just saves everyone time and money and is something that I would definitely do for £69! :)

Obviously there is no legal document that entitles you to the difference back, there is one that entitles you to an unconditional refund within 7 days of receipt. If you were asked to do it, as a business, you would within those 7 days, as it will save you 2 lots of postage and return paperwork and makes it look like you treat your customers well so ensures repeat custom.

My reply was to @Ste_S who said that it was to do with a legal returns right getting the difference back.

But thanks for proving my point that it has nothing to do with legal return rights :)

Really? You found the need to ignore somebody from this thread?

God forbid you read anything in Out of Focus.:dummy:

Love how they found the need to post in the thread to say someone was ignored, just make sure people know about it...:facepalm:

I would never even imagine that to happen (if I was one of the people mentioned above) but the fact that you did it is just one of the reasons your business is my 1 and only go to for lens hire!

If they allow you to return it, then it makes more sense for them to refund the difference than to process the return and send out another.

If they allow you to return it, then it makes more sense for them to refund the difference than to process the return and send out another.
No retailer has any choice cover accepting returns under the distance selling regulations, but they are not obliged to sell you another at a lower price.

No retailer has any choice cover accepting returns under the distance selling regulations, but they are not obliged to sell you another at a lower price.
If they're offering it for sale on their site, and they have stock, then it would be silly of them to refuse sale for anything other than a price error.

If they're offering it for sale on their site, and they have stock, then it would be silly of them to refuse sale for anything other than a price error.
Maybe, but what do they do if the camera is reduced even further next week and he calls up asking for more money back?

When you return things under the distance selling regulations, the seller loses money - they refund postage one way and have to sell the returned goods at a discount. Makes good sense not to sell to that person any more.

When you return things under the distance selling regulations, the seller loses money - they refund postage one way and have to sell the returned goods at a discount. Makes good sense not to sell to that person any more.

They also loose the money charged for taking the payment and more often than not, also get charged to issue a refund :mad:

Discriminating against someone for exercising their legal rights, because of a business decision you made in the first place, makes good sense?

Discriminating against someone for exercising their legal rights, because of a business decision you made in the first place, makes good sense?
In any business, not doing things that lose you money makes good sense. The legal right of return in the distance selling regulations exists to allow the customer to see the goods they have ordered and to decide the goods are not required.

To return goods as not required and then to reorder the exact same goods suggests a lack of good faith on the part of the buyer. To refuse to do business with someone who has already shown their lack of good faith is certainly good business sense.

In any business, not doing things that lose you money makes good sense. The legal right of return in the distance selling regulations exists to allow the customer to see the goods they have ordered and to decide the goods are not required.

To return goods as not required and then to reorder the exact same goods suggests a lack of good faith on the part of the buyer. To refuse to do business with someone who has already shown their lack of good faith is certainly good business sense.

It's even better business sense to save yourself costs and keep a customer instead of losing a sale to a competitior, especially when you're running a mail order company in the social media age.

Seriously, there's is no way you could ever stop this (I'll get the wife to buy it and send it to work etc.)(it had a scratch on it so I want to try another one etc.), so better for any company to embrace the type of business they are in with goodwill towards the customer that gets people going onto photography forums to say what jolly good eggs they are so more people will buy from them, has to be better than 'WEX banned me!' type headlines that will automatically get people boycotting the company!

Just proves Wex service is good. I have always found this to be the case.

.... HEAR! HEAR!!

In my experience Wex customer service is excellent and is the reason I buy from them (amongst others) and never Park Cameras any more. Good customer service is all-important!

What Wex did for the OP here was simply their voluntary gesture of goodwill and that is always appreciated by customers and they will subsequently not only return but also recommend to others. I recommend Wex!

Last edited:
.... HEAR! HEAR!!

In my experience Wex customer service is excellent and is the reason I buy from them (amongst others) and never Park Cameras any more. Good customer service is all-important!

What Wex did for the OP here was simply their voluntary gesture of goodwill and that is always appreciated by customers and they will subsequently not only return but also recommend to others. I recommend Wex!

Exactly my point, we were at birdfair 2 years ago with a leaflet in hand from Park Cameras with a Nikon bundle we wanted to buy and they just instantly said ‘we’re not honouring that’, ‘but the leaflet was made for this show?!’ ‘Yeah, well, it happens’

Guess where I’ve never shopped since!

Back