What a difference to the pictures

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I have mention elsewhere about upgrading the graphics card but not what it has done to the photos.

Just been looking at the photos I took in Norway and it is like looking as a new lot of scenes. Of course the monitor needed recalibration, my Dell monitor has quite a good recalibration check list to run through.

So now going to look at all the other photos, should be interesting

I suppose one gets use to a picture quality not realising over time (6 yrs in my case) how much a graphics card "wears" out.
So if your computer desktop is getting older worth checking out this card and replacing.

Blimey! I must check out my graphics card pronto!

Ok I have mention elsewhere about upgrading the graphics card but not what it has done to the photos.

Just been looking at the photos I took in Norway and it is like looking as a new lot of scenes. Of course the monitor needed recalibration, my Dell monitor has quite a good recalibration check list to run through.

So now going to look at all the other photos, should be interesting

I suppose one gets use to a picture quality not realising over time (6 yrs in my case) how much a graphics card "wears" out.
So if your computer desktop is getting older worth checking out this card and replacing.

A graphics card "wearing out"???

Can I clarify? With your old card you calibrated the monitor a good while ago ~ yes?

But having installed a new a new graphics card have yet to calbrate the monitor.......however the new card has made a difference to the "look" of the pictures?

If yes to both the above I wonder if what you describe has more to do with the new cards drivers and it's default profile i.e. nothing to do with the hardware. As such I suspect you might be disappointed with them"look" when you calibrate again!

PS how old is the monitor.......it is that that is more likely to show signs of aging?

Last edited:
Gpu doesnt wear out in that way, monitor may need recalibration over time though.

Last edited:
Regarding the viewing and assessment of photographs, I find that I have to recalibrate my brain occasionally. A shot of Talisker can affect the perception in a certain way, half a bottle of red in another way, and two or three beers differently again. A whole bottle of Talisker, on the other hand, can obliterate the vision entirely, which in some cases might be a good thing.

Calibrating the monitor is always good.

Normally, upgrading your graphics card should make no difference to the images. Graphics cards do not fail gradually, as a rule. They either work properly or don't produce a working image at all. Very little middle ground.

It's true. The silicon on the chips abrade due to the electrons. It's a bit like a battery. But different. Older graphics chips were thicker and the degradation of the image was less noticeable. New chips are thinner and need to be replaced more regularly.

I'll just check the calendar ;)

…………But care to share a link to where such "abrasion" has a visible effect in general usage??? And what about the effect of that phenomenon on the CPU let alone the GPU???

I don't know about technical details but the old graphics card had also started producing pixels on the screen as well. The monitor is fairly new and ok. the old graphics card was installed in 2012 and was a Geforce GTX560ti . The new Geforce GTX1050 TI certainly has made a difference. The new one gets its power from the motherboard not direct from the PU as before

Geforce GTX560ti to be scrapped

UKTJRdS.jpg

Last edited:
Not if they were inverted due to degradation of the substrate silicon layers in the GPU.
Check out Electromigration.
Chips can be designed to minimise it's effects, but it can't be completely eliminated.

Fake news, that's not about silicon at all, it's about metal connections and isn't an issue at all in the real world. As it says, are you concerned about gamma rays from cosmic rays wearing out your computer?

It is much much much much much more likely to be a physical degradation of some point, solder joint coming loose or somesuch.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_woo

Back