What are all you landscapers doing now?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I'm sure I'm not the only one sat here looking at the glorious light we've had (where was that when we could get out?!) and getting very frustrated.

Just wondered what you landscapers are doing to ease the frustration? I'm trying to learn some new stuff on photoshop and re-edit some of my older stuff. I've also got quite a nice long view from the back garden so looking out for some nice morning light out that way but composition options are somewhat limited.

It’s incredibly frustrating isn’t it. Every morning since lockdown was frosty here with gorgeous light up until yesterday. I got out responsibly last weekend and had some pictures to edit from that, but otherwise it’s a case of looking through the archives and seeing if I’ve missed anything. I’m doing a bit of sim racing too. Just hope we can get out for what I consider to be the peak of spring in early May

Sitting here looking at a big dark black sky in the distance with great sunlight shining on whatever would be in the foreground :mad:
Spent last night letting you tube take me on a ramble around various videos (wish I had never discovered that I can project my tablet onto the big tv screen). One (possible) bonus - I discovered that Lightroom provides a pretty good website which I have promised various people I would do at some point. I take loads of local stuff but no-one ever gets to see it! Looks like I have a mission for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Last week I got up every morning at 6:00 for work to look out to a beautiful sky and sunrise...... As you say, typical!!

I still have Brecon's images to edit and we got out last Sunday sensibly with those images still on the camera. Yesterday was house sorting and shopping. Today may be time in the garden, might clean the car. Not got my kids until next week.

I don't find it frustrating at all.
It's great weather, nature is doing its thing in the garden and I have plenty of other jobs around the home to keep me occupied.

I'm lucky, I live high up on Dartmoor and spent my exercise period on the moor with my two Springers and my new D850 and Tamron 15-30, I'm also on Holiday this week but the company I work for are in the process of closing down which will be complete by the time I should return.

I was out for about 4 hours and didn't see another person, It's certainly the quietest I've ever known it to be.

Reprocessing, sorting out back ups etc.

Given, that unlike the bulk of UK shooters, I prefer the summer I am hopefully the restrictions are lifted by Mid May or early June. April isn't a major month for me but I had a few coastal ideas lined up...

And of course all the workshop bookings etc are gone for good :(

I'm lucky, I live high up on Dartmoor and spent my exercise period on the moor with my two Springers and my new D850 and Tamron 15-30, I'm also on Holiday this week but the company I work for are in the process of closing down which will be complete by the time I should return.

I was out for about 4 hours and didn't see another person, It's certainly the quietest I've ever known it to be.

I also live on the edge of Dartmoor so am able to exercise on the moor. A short walk from my house gets me onto open moor (all uphill to get there so good exercise. I normally use Medium Format (film and digital) for landscape on a tripod but under the circumstances I am sticking with 1 camera 1 lens (Fuji X-T2 and 16-55) and only hand held grab shots so as to stay within the principles of being out for exercise.

From today's walk.

Panorama 2-1 PS Adj upload.jpg

As an NHS worker with a 40 minute drive to work: setting out for work 15-20 minutes earlier, stopping off on the way and doing the same on the way home - not straying from my normal route.

Good to hear nobody is sat twiddling their thumbs. I can't wait to get out again so I've started to pick through my notes of potential locations and start to make more thorough notes about when to go etc. I might find an app to pin them on a map too. A mini bucket list as it were.

I also have a macro lens that never gets uses so might try that out a bit in the house or garden. Whilst not welcome, sometimes a few constraints can promote creativity.

I'm lucky because my daily walk includes this view,
DSC00091.jpg

But I've shot that loads and under better conditions so I've been doing other things

TheMostPreciousThing by Chris H, on Flickr

and it's a good chance to get some large format practice in (MPP 4x5, Ilford Delta 100, developed in HC-110)

A-Precious-Thing by Chris H, on Flickr

Spending my exercise time wandering down tracks close to home to see if I can find any new locations for when the restrictions are lifted.

Always good to have a few local spots but I never spent anytime looking in the past.

Found one location with some potential and others may come good when the bluebells come through.

Dave.

All of my workshops / travel plans / commissions for March/April have been postponed or cancelled so I have a lot of time on my hands but 2019 was a very busy year so with the sun being out in Suffolk I've been mainly doing the gardening and enjoying the break!

Now it's time to catch up on all the admin, book keeping, processing etc that I've been neglecting as well as planning and starting work on a new book... conditions have been great lately though!

Since in Norway we are not in quarantine I still doing landscape photography.

I’m lucky to be on Skye by the sea. Before lockdown I started making some “no talking” short videos of my photography outings. These are intended to be calm, gentle, ambient sound, no excited shouting, no talking at all actually. Long shots of the waves lapping or a stream burbling, with the odd photograph thrown in.

Here’s the first. There are three so far, and a couple more in the pipeline.

View: https://youtu.be/O3D3pKkAULo

Since lockdown this has become a lot more local. But I hope it gives some escapism for those stuck indoors.

Sound or headphones on, and relax....

Mainly reprocessing. My business (very new) couldn't survive this so it's back to the old job which I thankfully got back. TBH the business aspect of it wasn't something I enjoyed that much nor did running workshops in the freezing cold and rain. I cannot bare the cold.

From my shooting point of view it's really the summer and autumn season I enjoy. There were a few shoots I had lined up that are on ice. I tend to do the bulk of my processing in the winter - and now it's getting lighter I am extremely keen to get back into action. Hopefully by May some of the restrictions will have settled down and I can get back to my reasonably local tripod holes but more importantly back to France/Spain for the Autumn but that is not likely.

Catching up in with processing is never bad...I like to check, recheck, check again etc. The time to do that has been great. I've also taken the time to "replace" images on Flickr with the most up to date versions. Manually going through each album wasn't fun but the sort of tedious thing I am good at.

_DSC2021 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC5137 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3327 - 1x1 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3114 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3030 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3137 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3412 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1800 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’m lucky to be on Skye by the sea. Before lockdown I started making some “no talking” short videos of my photography outings. These are intended to be calm, gentle, ambient sound, no excited shouting, no talking at all actually. Long shots of the waves lapping or a stream burbling, with the odd photograph thrown in.

Here’s the first. There are three so far, and a couple more in the pipeline.

View: https://youtu.be/O3D3pKkAULo

Since lockdown this has become a lot more local. But I hope it gives some escapism for those stuck indoors.

Sound or headphones on, and relax....

Very enjoyable, almost as good as being there, thank you.

Now starting to experiment with pinhole. Today was making a few different sized pinholes.

If you truly want to know what I'm doing it is the following:

1. Sleeping till 4PM
2. Eating and s***ting
3. finding a photo thieve or two or probably doing nothing
4. Yelling and screaming at Chicoms, WHO and globalists for their CORVID evil.

I guess I'm getting depressed because I don't even want to get out any more or do anything "productive".

Last edited:
Like others, I’m cleaning all the trash out of my LR/CO catalogues. (Could take a while.) My wife is pleased that I’ve discovered how the hoover and the washing machine works. I’m sure I’ll forget again when some kind of normality returns to the world.

I’ve been trying to adjust my sleep patterns so that I can get up and function well enough to drive safely at 0400. Reason? Because, when the restrictions are lifted/relaxed can we imagine how busy Snowdonia, The Lakes, Glencoe etc are going to be. They’ll be rammed from dawn until sunset. Need to get scouting on Google Maps.

Like others, I’m cleaning all the trash out of my LR/CO catalogues. (Could take a while.) My wife is pleased that I’ve discovered how the hoover and the washing machine works. I’m sure I’ll forget again when some kind of normality returns to the world.

I’ve been trying to adjust my sleep patterns so that I can get up and function well enough to drive safely at 0400. Reason? Because, when the restrictions are lifted/relaxed can we imagine how busy Snowdonia, The Lakes, Glencoe etc are going to be. They’ll be rammed from dawn until sunset. Need to get scouting on Google Maps.

Redbull does the job nicely :D

I rather suspect that when lock down is lifted people might be too skint to head out - and there might be quite a bit less of them anyway once this virus really gets a grip. They say typically if you have a social net of 150 right now maybe 4 have the virus and there is a 1 in 10 chance of one of the four requiring hospital treatment. In a years time out of that social net of 150, 110 could have the virus and 9 will probably be dead.

Photography wise - if lock down is lifted by summer I doubt there will be many photographers in your way - it's just not a popular time for people to take pictures. I seem to be the only one who actually likes it and I don't think it's just the early starts and late finishes that puts UK landscapers off summer. Right now - it's still to bare/brown for me to contemplate taking pictures - it's late May onwards I will get Antsy through to the Autumn (although I intend to be in Spain for October).

If lockdown is lifted in the winter then I suspect these places might collapse under the weight of the entire landscape photography community tripping over themselves taking nigh on identical pictures as soon as the "snow" word is mentioned. Any time it snow's in Glencoe social media gets flooded with a pethora of landscapes with vary degrees of snow.

One also has to consider the fact a lot of businesses will fold - and unless you are truly dedicated to driving through the night or you are local there might not be a place to stay. I live extremely close to Glencoe - so it's no biggy for me to Saunter up. I never find it's busy with photographers from May-September. Its October - March when it's rammed with people take pictures. The only issue is the camping lot and the hikers are never around in the laybys/car parks at 4am :D

Last edited:
I'm in New Brunswick, Canada and I think you folks in the UK are on a stricter (?) lockdown than we are. Our province, on Friday, lifted restrictions a little bit. Hasn't stopped me though ha ha ;) I've always been one of those " you TELL me what to do, you're getting a finger response. ASK me, I'll stop what I'm doing"

We live right on the Fundy Coast and I can be at one of the many, easily accessible beaches to our city in under 10 minutes from my house. As well, our province has over 10,000 lakes and streams so I can always just go off any back road, get out, and find some water ways. It's pretty nice.

Back