What are you currently reading..

Your thread. OK finished.

The Shipping News - E. Annie Proulx

read it before (several times) but it has to be one of my all time favourites and almost like an old friend when I pick it up again :)

King Lear, my son has a performance of this soon.

Jeremiah, hard going but interesting - Lamentations next, more challenging!

I've *just* finished the 9th book (the 3rd book of the 3rd series) of the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson.

I understood this to be the final book, so I read all the 8 previous books again back to back before starting on the last one.

How annoyed was I to find, right at the end, that there will be a tenth book... :bang: :bang: :bang:

"against all enemies "by tom clancy - and also "Wildlife wars , my fight to save kenya's elephants" by richard leakey (the latter being my current car book - the one i carry about in the work van to read when i'm early for meetings)

Just finished The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo trilogy and now reading Anthony Kiedis' biography.

have just finished "The Hunger Games Trilogy" Thoroughly enjoyed them, and am still left wpndering why they didn't write books like that when i was a "young adult" can highly recommend them. am now reading "A Bearded Tit" by Rory McGrath very funny

I've *just* finished the 9th book (the 3rd book of the 3rd series) of the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson.

I understood this to be the final book, so I read all the 8 previous books again back to back before starting on the last one.

How annoyed was I to find, right at the end, that there will be a tenth book... :bang: :bang: :bang:
I read some of those years ago, can't remember how far I got though. Very good reading.

I'm on the third book of the RAMA series by Arthur C. Clarke (and later, in partnership with Gentry Lee).

My folks bought these for me as a crimbo present because they knew these book are she of my faves. They really are a lesson in how to write accessible sci-fi but I still can't quite pin down how I imagine a cylindrical spaceship that is 50km long and 20km diameter.

If David Fincher finally comes good on his word, these could possibly make the some of the greatest sci-fi films ever.....

Last edited:
In the middle of a couple as ever. 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' and 'the management myth'.

Zen and the art of etc... Is a great read. Very thought provoking

In the process of reacquainting myself with Dean Koontz. Read loads of his stuff many years ago and wanted to catch up. Currently reading What the Night Knows before moving on to the Frankenstein series.

The long march 1935 by dick Wilson.
If you're remotely interested in modern history it's well worth reading, if you can find a copy now.

Edit: "modern" is of course a relative term. In this case it's almost 80 years ago :)

Last edited:
In the process of reacquainting myself with Dean Koontz. Read loads of his stuff many years ago and wanted to catch up. Currently reading What the Night Knows before moving on to the Frankenstein series.

Koontz is superb. 'Twilight Eyes' is probably my fave book and a prime candidate for being made into a film.Read it while listening to 'Automatic for the people' and songs like Find the river just go so well with the carnival scenes...

Have to say these are on my next to reread list

Autocourse and Motocourse, have been wanting them for ages and decided to bite the bullet and they haventt dissapointed me at all, incredible photography and very good write ups.

Koontz is superb. 'Twilight Eyes' is probably my fave book and a prime candidate for being made into a film.Read it while listening to 'Automatic for the people' and songs like Find the river just go so well with the carnival scenes...

Twilight Eyes was the 2nd Koontz book I read and is still one of my favourites but m absolute favourite is Strangers.

One thing I've noticed is that Koontz books, when made into films are never, IMHO of course, as good as films based on Stephen King books but I much prefer reading Koontz to King.

For those into Koontz, have any of you read this? Very different from his usual stuff but veryy well done. If I knew where my copy was, I'd read it again but I don't think I've seen it for about 15 years!

Entry list for the Horse trials I'm covering on Sunday, nearly 400 riders, long day methinks!

Shift by Carl's Ghosn &

The Impact System by Stephan Longworth

Jmaes May - How to land a boeing...

Dying Light by Stuart MacBride for the second time.

From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury, just started it but finding it hard going. Also just started The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, not sure of it either..

Just finished The Naked God, the final part in The Nights Dawn trilogy. Highly recommended sci-fi.

Started on Girl with the dragon tattoo, for a change of genre.

Just started The Lepoard by Jo Nesbo last night (Stieg Larsson is ok, but Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo are far better writers).

And I'll admit to having just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. There's a good plot to it and it's well written.

I'm on the just-got-a-Kindle buzz at the moment, I've probably bought as many books in the last week as the previous six months (I'm a re-reader and always going back to old favourites).

Talking of Kindles, what do you think of yours? Have been tempted recently to buy the £89 one.

Talking of Kindles, what do you think of yours? Have been tempted recently to buy the £89 one.

I've had my kindle over a year, and wouldn't be without it, it goes everywhere with me, the screen IMO is better to read than a book as you don't get any glare, My DOH got one at Christmas and he now reads more than he used to:)

Just started Stephen Leather - Hard Landing an iTunes purchase. Seems OK so far.

Having read most of the Lee Child - Reacher novels years ago and also from iTunes I have just finished 61 Hours. An enjoyable read.

Also just finished the complete set of Scott Mariani's novels with the character Ben Hope. A fairly modern writer who does a great job of keeping you on your toes. All his books are on iTunes for typically £1 or £2.

Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in 1985 when working in Saudi Arabia. One of my American colleagues recommended it. Whenever I hear of the book it reminds me of him. He was 60 and had a 21 year old totally stunning German girlfriend who like most of the girls out there was a nurse. He used to call her Bambi, because she was such a Deer! True story!

Thanks for the nudge re Dean Koontz. Been a while since I read his books, will dig a few out.

Regards

Chris

Snap Shot, by Craig Robertson. Funnily enough it's main character is a police photographer. Good read, but best to read his first novel Random first which introduces the main characters and is also a great book.

Absolutely love it, got the original keyboard one for Christmas 2010. Love the screen, the ease of use, not to mention the space saving. With so many free and cheap ebooks out there, I would have needed to buy a bigger house if I'd got them all as physical books!

Twilight Eyes was the 2nd Koontz book I read and is still one of my favourites but m absolute favourite is Strangers.

One thing I've noticed is that Koontz books, when made into films are never, IMHO of course, as good as films based on Stephen King books but I much prefer reading Koontz to King.

I prefer reading Koontz to King too, although King is very good - not sure why they're different. Koontz just seems to create more character whereas King focusses on the tension I think...

For those into Koontz, have any of you read this? Very different from his usual stuff but veryy well done. If I knew where my copy was, I'd read it again but I don't think I've seen it for about 15 years!

Can remember getting this out from my library quite a few years back. Fantastic book - as you say, very different to his usual stuff :)

I prefer reading Koontz to King too, although King is very good - not sure why they're different. Koontz just seems to create more character whereas King focusses on the tension I think...

I think that's spot on. I like the tension that King creates but I feel like I know the characters so much better in Koontz's books.

Back