What are you unsharp mask settings?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just curious to know what settings people use when using unsharp mask...

Mine are:-

Amount 100%
Pixels 2
Threshold 1

Depends on image but normally:

Amount 25%
Radius 16
Threshhold 0

Steve

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting!

It seems your "amount" settings are much smaller but the radius far larger.

No BS De-Fog setting:
Amount: 14 -20
Radius: 60
Threshold: 0
Try it, you'll see how good it works!!

After reading Scott Kelbys Elements book never use it anymore, use adjust sharpness instead.

I generally use the following when I use unsharp mask

Amount 140 - 160
Radius .6 - 1.2
Threshold 0

Obviously this changes with different images but I've never used the amount of radius that people on here are using so I think I'll do a few tests.

People's preferences seem to vary quite a lot, and it depends on the image too.

I normally find the 'amount' I'm looking for somewhere around 75 - 125, with the radius < 5 (often < 1.0) and the threshold at 0. There aren't any correct settings though, just guidelines and starting points.

Ok here are a few quick un-scientific tests with different levels of unsharp mask cropped at 100%
I’m assuming rightly or wrongly that the setting are all for photoshop?
This is of course not a definitive test as the result will largely depend upon the image but seeing as people’s settings seemed to vary so much I thought I’d give it a quick go even if it is just to help me decide upon the setting that suits me best.

Image 1 original no sharpening added
X8PqO.jpg

Image 2 Amount - 150 Radius - 1.2
WGQ8g.jpg

Image 3 Amount 120 Radius 2 Threshold 1
XRipD.jpg

Image 4 Amount 20 Radius 50
zxzFT.jpg

Image 5 Amount 25 Radius 16
xm5g4.jpg

Image 6 Amount 80 Radius .6 Threshold 5
S41FP.jpg

Image 2 definitley looks the sharpest to me. So it seems a lower radius with a higher amount is more effective.

For me, a lot depends on the output, so for example, USM for low res web image is different say for a high res jpeg for publication, in addition, I find different lenses require less/more USM, so my 50mm/85/135 mm primes require less USM than any of the zooms I use.

I tend to save high res tiffs as keepers, but leave them unsharpened, then apply USM after I've resized them for output.

Back