What are your go-to accessories?

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the photography/videography scene, and there is so many different accessories and tools to improve my shot.

So since I am in a group with so many experienced photographers or people like me who may have a bit more insight:

What are your top 2 or 3 favorite pieces of gear you use to get the best shot?

I'm asking more about accessories/gadgets/tools instead of bodies and lenses.

Thanks so much,
I'm really excited to start digging more into this lifestyle

Sean

In addition to the camera body and lens, I'd put the priority on:

- flash to add some more light when you need to (note that I found it takes a lot of practice to get good results using flash) or led video light
- tripod to have a stable platform for longer exposures and filming
- shutter release to use with the tripod and make sure there's no shake

Have fun

Last edited:
It's difficult to say without knowing what it is that you are photographing.
Personally I would say that having a good understanding / knowledge of your subject, and technique are the best ways to improve.

My brain and its ‘experience’ in seeing compositions and esrimating the best way of taknig them.

I have a tripod but only use it about once a decade so my most used accessories are a No.4 close up filter, camera bag, rocket blower, cleaning cloths. That's all I can think of.

Oh, er... and a spare battery.

Tripod
Polarizing Filter
Comfortable carrying strap

For landscapes, a tripod and some filters. For wildlife, a good strap and some binoculars. For nature macro, a foam kneeling pad that older people use for gardening!

Fiddling with extra stuff is something that I strictly try to minimise, especially when outdoors. Body + 2 primes in a bag, that's me. Indoors I will use a tripod & lights when needed.

But for many, the gear is a big part of their pastime.

Boring answer i'm afraid, I'm very minimal - Camera and that's about it. Training and learning have improved my images

Camera + lens hood. One of the most useful, and underrated, accessories of all!

Tripod, bag, hide or scrim, a good seat and midgie spray.

If I'm landscaping, NDs and a polariser, tripod, bag and even more midgie spray.

A decent strap to make carrying the thing less uncomfortable and a decent bag with enough space to carry all the kit I want to have with me.

Rocket blower, always in the bag - occasionally a flash, only if I'm doing macro or for indoor portraits where I want a specific look. Other than that, a small cheap diffuser for the flash when using that. I keep it very simple, mostly just camera, couple lenses, batteries and the rocket blower in the bag. Oh, and silica gels packs! :D

As others have already mentioned, bag and strap can be very important if you are aiming to walk any distance with the camera - personally I have Op-Tech straps, but that's simply because when I got them (10+ years ago), there weren't many alternatives, and while they've not as 'pretty' as some of the options now, they do a fantastic job of relieving back / neck ache from having a camera out for hours on end.
I'd also advise a backpack rather than shoulder bag if going any distance - a shoulder bag that seems light for the first 10 minutes can feel like a sack full of bricks after an hour...

Normally ... my little messenger bag holds 1 camera, 1 zoom lens, 1 spare battery, 1 piece of bubble-wrap (for when placing gear on the ground, a car, a wall, it protects and can be folded to prop it up). That's it.

A good quality waterproof bag, a good, comfortable strap and a spare battery.

All other accessories can be added when you actually need them or want to try something new.

I tend to fall back on filters and tripod in as essentials, stuff like remote shutter releases are useful but can be worked around if unavailable. Other essential for me is sling type strap, i have a spinal disease so not carrying the weight on my neck makes a huge difference

After all this input what does the OP think he will be spending his hard earned on?

Bottled Water, Lenspen (mainly for the brush) and lens wipes, spare battery and spare memory card.
Also wrist strap and shoulder bag (Retrospective 5) then its stuff like insect bite spray and in the winter "Hot Hands" hand warmers.

Would have been fags and lighter a few years ago, now its gel and face mask, who knew?

Last edited:
Polariser, ND64 & possibly ND4000
Tripod
Spare card(s)
Spare battery(ies)
Thigh Waders

Always take a superstickerswisher with you, just in case ;)

Not strictly an answer, but if you are out exploring without a specific shot in mind - things that makes photography more comfortable and less of a faff.

There have been plenty of times when I've considered a shot, looked at it and decided I can't be ersed unstrapping/unzipping/setting up to take it. Also helps to keep my head clear and thinking about the photo.
So I suppose that's lots of beer, an assistant, and lots of snacks.

Last edited:
After being asked what I was doing by a bloke when clearly pointing my camera at flowers in the park (and I couldn't have been taking pictures of anything else but the flower 6 inches from the front of my lens) and being laughed at by a couple of teenagers Mrs WW said I shouldn't take pictures unless she's with me. To bat away pests I expect. So, Mrs WW is now my go to accessory.

Bag of dark clouds maybe?

Oh, and another thing.

Take a wave with you, keep it in your pocket. If you’re on the beach, beautiful light, setting sun.

All you need is a wave, perfect

I’ve run out of waves :(

That's a smart move. It's a cost and hassle saving.

Plenty of waves - all too few hairs though!

Back